Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've missed one too many shifts. I need help both in picking out a short throw shifter for my 2002 WRX, and advice on how to get better in general at ****ing. I thought I was a good manual driver, but I suppose I'm just not used to the power and feel of the WRX yet. Any ways, I've missed a couple shifts and grinded gears when trying to make my WRX perform. Both instances were me trying to race. I think I'm not quite ready to race the car until I can be confident that this will NEVER happen again.

I'm pretty sure that my clutch foot is all the way down to the floor. Which is why I don't know why I'm missing my shifts. Any help you might have with a method would be helpful.

Also, can anyone reccomend a short throw shifter that would work for a person like me (from what I described as my problem above). I think I'm ready to spend $300 and install it myself.

Thanks... Your Questions/Comments are welcome...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey,

I feel your pain... It's prolly not your shifting. The WRX shifter sucks @$$. Anyway, I bought an RSR short shifter and kartboy bushings from Mach V. or www.fastwrx.com. The shifter was $85 (best $$ I've seen!) and the bushings were $35. The shifter took about 6 minutes to install (excellent instructions). Bushing was a PITA. My forearms are too big to fit in the tight space. Had the "boss" do it. It took her about 10 minutes to remove old 1 piece bushing and about 1 minute to install 2 piece kartboy set. All-in-all, VERY EASY, and cheap and the difference is 100%. 1st and Rev are still a PITA but all WRX's apparently have this problem...

Just my .02

Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can't help but point out that the WRX shifter does not suck. It is anything but sucka$$.

A reduced throw shifter will only make you grind the gears more. You need to slow down your shifting, work on the timing. Timing is very important with driving these cars.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
I am not putting anybody down by saying this... but i think that maybe you should get really used to the tranny before you start racing it. I have approx 6000 mi on my car right now and other than when it hit 1000, I have spent 90% of the mileage on getting used to the tranny. With that said, of the few and far between times where I have raced my car (not against anybody as I am somewhat opposed to the whole street racing scene) I have missed a gearshift once b/c my hand actually slipped from the shiftknob.

On a sidenote: get used to shifting as smoothly as possible, don't force the shifts and they will be nice, crisp and FAST!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts