Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 WRX Limited and I am planning to buy a Cobb Accessport V3. I need to know which Cold air intake is a good fit for my car and accessport. I'm debating between Mishimoto Performance Air Intake System or AEM Cold Air Intake. Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why do you want to do an intake for your first mod?

If you buy the accessport, you will need a map that will support your specific intake. I think COBB has maps that support the Mishimoto. You would have to check on their website.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
What they said however I believe other manufacturers provide off the shelf tunes for a few bucks. You could also go with a etune for a little better result.

Intake mods are the way to go on the fa20. Unlike the ej engines the choking point is the incoming air. I also second the notion of avoiding oiled cotton filters. They don’t filter well and can foul maf sensors when oiled properly, when oiled like most people oil them they will foul the sensor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What they said however I believe other manufacturers provide off the shelf tunes for a few bucks. You could also go with a etune for a little better result.

Intake mods are the way to go on the fa20. Unlike the ej engines the choking point is the incoming air. I also second the notion of avoiding oiled cotton filters. They don’t filter well and can foul maf sensors when oiled properly, when oiled like most people oil them they will foul the sensor.
A VERY good point for anyone new with these cars. You foul out the MAF and you are in for a lot of trouble if you dont figure it out and QUICK.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Make sure you break it in properly and perform the first oil change before you start any tuning and modifications.

Take the advice from others here when it comes to your intake decisions.

Welcome and good luck.

:)

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
Seems to me, from the data Cobb posts, the opposite is true.

STI posts ~3.5% additional peak horsepower

WRX results indicated as the same with/without aftermarket intake

You know my theories on the subject. Of course, results compared are only between stock airbox and SF intake. :dontknow:

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
Seems like the new 'go to' for quick gains are EGR/TGV deletes on the FA (plus supporting tune of course). I've been told by a couple shops, in addition to the posted data by Zax, that the DP and intake on the stock FA motor are more efficient and swapping them doesn't see quite the same gains as many are used to seeing w/ the latest EJs.

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
the DP and intake on the stock FA motor are more efficient
This is logical and points to an expected conclusion -- the FA is a significantly improved motor from the factory.

And for those who will inevitably scoff at the "stage 2" statement, remember that the EJ257 is very fuel limited. Fueling mods change even Cobb's results to a major degree:

Hot rodding is funny... the very nature of it assumes that the design is either not modern (like the EJ), or burdened by environmental and CAFE regulations... often both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts