Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My stocker has finally givien up the ghost. Not that I'm totally surprised about it or anything, but I just don't know what to get now.

I'm soliciting suggestions. IF you have one, please include a vendor where said clutch can be pruchased.

I'm at about 400hp crank on the bottle, 340 off.

TIA for any help.

Edit: Also, would it be a good idea to replace the TOB now? Or can I wait since I only have 27k miles on the car.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Definitely replace the TOB. It's a cheap part, but the consequence if you don't change the TOB with the clutch, is if it goes....the labor involved is basically a clutch replacement.

Whatever clutch set you get, make sure it's a sprung design.

Try looking at brands like Centerforce, ACT, Clutch Masters, etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing. The TOB for the WRX is NOT a cheap part.

Good point about sprung hub. I guess it's also worth noting that I want a full face disk since this is a street car.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
let me rephrase....

In the event of a TOB failure after a new clutch install, the cost to replace the TOB far exceeds the initial cost of installing a new TOB the first time.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
tan said:
let me rephrase....

In the event of a TOB failure after a new clutch install, the cost to replace the TOB far exceeds the initial cost of installing a new TOB the first time.
i agree, the cost of the part plus cost of labor is less that cost of the labor, part, and labor again.

have you considered Exedy for the clutch?

http://coximport.com/exedy

dR

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 2 quick question:
1. What is TOB?
2. How do you know when your clutch is dead? I had a manual for a while, but got rid of it before it needed a new clutch and my other car was automatic.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Prince Ali said:
I have 2 quick question:
1. What is TOB?
2. How do you know when your clutch is dead? I had a manual for a while, but got rid of it before it needed a new clutch and my other car was automatic.
1) TOB = throw-out bearing. Here is a definition:

http://www.innerauto.com/innerauto/text/driv28.html[/URL]

2) You will feel it start to slip. You change gears but the clutch lags in actually engaging it.

·
1,911 Posts
Try an Exedy clutch, it's organic holds good power and smooth. Feels like stock, and Exedy made your factory clutch as well. Lastly, they include the release bearing for free as many of you know is expensive. They also offer a chrome-moly flywheel (which is probably the same as the Sti unit since Exedy makes the flywheels for many companies). If you're not using an ATS carbon clutch, the Exedy is what I recommend.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
God said:
Try an Exedy clutch, it's organic holds good power and smooth. Feels like stock, and Exedy made your factory clutch as well. Lastly, they include the release bearing for free as many of you know is expensive. They also offer a chrome-moly flywheel (which is probably the same as the Sti unit since Exedy makes the flywheels for many companies). If you're not using an ATS carbon clutch, the Exedy is what I recommend.
exedy makes the stock setup? huh. didn't know that.

dR

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aussieinstlouis said:

The NEW clutch in slipping already!????

SHIPPED.. not slipped. ;)

The clutch I ordered is (surprise) an Exedy. It's not an actual Subaru part, but is the same clutch as stock without the markup.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:

The NEW clutch in slipping already!????
Aussie,

Don't worry - you're not the only one seeing things. I read it the same way twice after I hit the "quote" button. Had to back up out of the reply really quickly. :D

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
What about these "STi" clutches for the 5 speed?

RST-1000kit STi Fast Road Clutch Kit
Complete clutch kit includes: 230mm STi organic clutch disc, 850kgf STi RA pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool. Provides more positive clutch engagement and higher torque capacity for lightly tuned engines. Segmented kevlar clutch disc withstands higher temperatures then stock while maintaining smooth clutch engagement.
Impreza WRX w/ 5MT Gearbox -- $498

RST-1002kit STi Performance Clutch Kit
Complete clutch kit includes: 230mm STi organic clutch disc, 1050kgf STi Sport pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool. Higher spec. version of the RST-1000kit with a high clamping-force pressure plate to handle the torque output of moderately tuned engines. Kevlar clutch disc withstands higher temperatures then stock while maintaining smooth clutch engagement.
Impreza WRX w/ 5MT Gearbox -- $745

RST-1001kit STi Competition Clutch Kit
Complete clutch kit includes: 230mm STi 3-paddle sprung center ceramic clutch disc, 1050kgf STi Sport pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool. Ceramic friction material withstands competition abuse and the torque output of highly tuned race engines. Low inertia clutch disc also improves throttle response. Note: this clutch kit increases driveline shock.
Impreza WRX w/ 5MT Gearbox -- $814

RST-1007 STi Twin Plate Clutch Kit
Multiplate clutch raises torque capacity over stock without significantly increasing pedal effort or clutch shudder. Smooth clutch takeup minimizes destructive driveline shock. Compact and lightweight. Similar in design to the clutch used on the Subaru WRC Impreza and the 22B. Complete kit w/ matched flywheel. For highly tuned race engines.
Impreza WRX w/ 5MT Gearbox -- $2005

Do you think these are Exedy also?

Big Sky

·
Registered
202 Posts
man, I would be really leary of putting a clutch with an unsprung hub in the wrx. They cause a lot of shock to the trans and driveline..granted the materials used on the disk can help if they dont grab 100% on engagement ie dont use a metal puck disk...

will an STI 6speed clutch fit a wrx 5speed????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.