ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else keep forgetting that their car is only a 2.0 liter 4 banger? When I drive it around it feels like it has just as much torque at the low end as my old F150 did. Maybe it's just the stage 4 or maybe it's the quick spooling VF29, but I love this car.

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
I love torque too, but my rex feels like it has none on the low end. Even when I was stage 4+ w/ VF34 the car felt dead below 3K rpms. What's funny is that I've been driving around a '99 Camry 4banger for the last few days and it seems to have way more low end grunt than my rex.

I'm on the hunt for some big V8 torque w/in the next 6 months.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I love the rush of power that I have above 3500 rpms, but I wish I had low end torque. I want to get my setup tuned someday (hopefully with a larger TMIC in the mix), once the AccessTuner stuff is out there commercially. Hopefully that will pull some more of the lag out of the system.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I agree with the lack of real low end. Mine just feels torquey because it gets up to 3K rather quickly and just pulls straight from there.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Snowvert said:
ray, you know stage3 will never be released because you are waiting for it. :giggle:
Damn that watched pot!:wiggles:

:p
From driving the car for a couple of weeks with the VF34 in there, I can just tell that there's more that could be pulled out of it. Cobb went way conservative on the map due to the stock TMIC. Now their website says "Fall 2004" for Stage 3. <sigh>

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's no doubt that torque is the name of the game on the street.
I find it amazing that our little 2.0 does as well as it does, considering all of the weight we haul around.
My son's '99 2.5 RS feels better in first gear (more displacement, less weight, NA), and my wife's 1.8 Celica GT (small bore, long stroke compared to the 1.8 in the GTS) can slog along in fifth gear where my WRX would need to be in third.
But once the boost hits, it's a whole different deal. Part of the fun of modding the WRX is working out a combination that compensates for the lack of low end.

·
Registered
269 Posts
try a 500hp turbo. No torque untill about 5000rpm, then wham! I have three avo turbos, smallest is great for street and low end torque, biggest sucks on the street, but responds well to a shot of nitrous when launching and on the way to over 30psi. You can only get but so much torque out of a 2.0 liter engine, then the only way to go is up on displacement.
If you like torque, then take a ride in my grand national! over 500ft/lbs of torque at only 2000rpm!! redline is at 5000rpm! torque monster!! only 21psi boost. With race gas and more boost, well, it will empty your pockets!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds awesome. I guess before getting the rex I had been riding in my friend's FC RX-7 too much. He would drive it so hard but it never had neck snapping acceleration or anything it just kinda went.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah...its a great thing....I cant wait till 4k to hit and then wham........the tq hits like a brick...I need more though...400wh tq here I come.

·
Registered
269 Posts
you should be able to change your name with those numbers. 12s easy! I have never been to a dyno, but have been 126mph in the 1320. 11.2et with a 1.6 60'

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm runnin' a Deadbolt Kong turbo, and the one thing it doesn't lack for is torque. Since it will spool up to over 20psi before 3500rpm, the feeling of torque is just nasty good. Torque is something that can be "butt dyno'ed" much easier than HP.

·
Registered
269 Posts
that must be a small turbo, good for the street! try on a big turbo and watch the low end torque dissappear. avo 500-over 30psi, avo 450 over 27psi, a good street turbo is an avo 320, but will still go to 24psi. It's all in the ballz! Faster spoolup with bearings, but expensive.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Not to hi jack but tuner what kind of setup to you have to go 120 traps...I would expect w/25psi a low 12 maybe high 11 at around 115mph...

·
Registered
56 Posts
i wish my wagon had more tq!! compared to driving my turbo spec v, which(2.5) puts down over 250lb ft to the wheels with no lag at less than 8psi, makes the wagon feel reaaaally slow until boost kicks in. but i love it when it does!:wiggles:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts