Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, all our recent discussion about oversteer and spinning just came in handy. I had a full tank of gas, myself, my girlfriend, my sister, and A LOT of luggage all loaded up. We were heading up to the Poconos for the weekend. It had been raining hard all day, but it let up and remained only as a fine drizzle.

I was in the right lane northbound on Business Route 1 in Penndel when a gray van pulled out in front of me. I swerved into the left lane, the road curved to the right. I was sliding into on coming traffic. Then I made the classic AWD mistake: in an effort to get back into MY lane, I made things worse. I started sliding BADLY. I had lost all control.

Then, it got worse. I was in what motorcycle riders call a “tank slapper.” We were going back and forth in a wicked cycle. The back ended started going left, the front end started going right. If you start to spin, push them both in. I nailed the clutch and the brake. My sister started screaming. I was a passenger behind the wheel of my own car. In an instant, we were going straight backward and a small glimmer of hope began to blossom. It was crushed instantly as I realized we were still moving very fast.

It all stopped suddenly as a black, rotted telephone poll ended our ride. The rear of my WRX is smashed beyond recognition. A self-made rally driver is without his prize possession.

I was (and still am) very angry at myself for letting this happen to me, my sister, and my girlfriend. I am also proud that I did the best I could in a horrible situation. I avoided the oncoming traffic. I avoided the used cars in the lot that I came to rest near. Some of this was my doing, but I had help. I always carry the prayer card from my grandfather’s funeral with me to bring me luck. There is no doubt in my mind that I was being watched over today.

Well, I am off to the Poconos in my sister’s Sentra SE-R. I’ll be back on Monday to pick up my rental car. I am REALLY glad that I have rental car coverage.

Have a nice weekend!

-Jim

·
Registered
554 Posts
That sucks, you guys are in good shape still since you are still going to the Poconos. I think we are going to need to see some pics soon.

Good Luck with the repair
Justin

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Oh crap Jim! I'm glad you and everyone else in the car is okay. Good job doing your best to keep everyone safe. Good luck with everything bud...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Jim glad you and your girlfriend and sisters are all right. The car can be repaired or replace. People can't. Be save, god bless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is okay! The car can always be repaired/replaced, that's why it's called insurance.

Warning: If you aren't already, Do not continue to drive this car!

Looking at the pic, you have definite structural damage but more importantly, the tailpipes are mashed and there may be additional hidden damage to the muffler, pipes or cats. If the exhaust flow is restricted and the car is driven, major engine damage will result!

Looks like the car did what is was designed to do; sacrifice itself to protect the occupants.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The most important thing is that no one got hurt. Still, that really sucks. Hopefully your insurance will be good to you and get you back on track as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PlatinumWRX,
praise God that you and your family are safe!
Jesus loves you, man!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Oh Jim man,
You know how I feel seeing and reading about a situation like that. I'm glad that no one was hurt and that you tried to make the best of things by going away to the Poconos anyway. As for the silber rally missile, you have my condolences. You and I both have silver cars and are rally fanatics, so you have my sympathy. As for the manuever you made, you are right, you did the classic unweighting of the outside in preparing to drift(ie turn outside, whack it turning in to slide it) and those bald tyres certainly didn't help I'm sure. If you find repairable damage and decide to fix, I think you'll be getting full seam welds and a FIA cage put in quicker than previously expected! PM me and we'll talk. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ouch!!! Glad everyone is OK. Definitely looks like a whole lot of work that needs to be done. Hope it's not totalled considering the quarterpanel is part of the unibody.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a welcome but tragic story. Welcome because it reminds all of us that we are not in control espicialy of others and tragic due to the up coming body work. I want to say thanks for keeping it real.
Pete

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
556 Posts
Platnium, as a future wrx driver, do you have any tips for me to prevent what happen to you? I dont mean like dont drive fast cause I already know that. But in the post above, you mentioned the "class AWD mistake." Care to explain? What should I do in if I had the same sitution. But hey its nice to hear everyone was ok in the accident. Keep us posted....

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The "typical" method of the "slingshot" to set a car into a drift is: unweight the outside tyres by turning away from the apex of a corner, followed by a quick hammering of the steering towards the apex. The outside tyres were unweighted in the first step and thus impart less initial grip to be able to drift the car. The latter step is used in conjunction with various techniques such as lift off oversteer(basically you are in a strong torqueband and you suddenly let off the throttle). I haven't spoken to Jim thoroughly with him about his accident, however I suspect he had backed off(decelerating) when he swerved out then back in(slingshot). While decelerating, the weight is shifted largely to the front and thus the rear gets loose. Drifting is all about disruption and with heavy engine breaking(weight forward) and a slingshot manuever, the rear steps out very easily.
So PhreeZe....if you are worried about such panic acts, practice driving with sudden manuevers in a safe training ground so that you get a good grasp of what the car handles like in adverse conditions. Jim's situation was escalated due to his lack of tread and even though there wasn't much rain(you should see his tyres....STPR rally post has a pic)...hydroplaning is very easy in Jim's case.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts

plat, glad to hear you and the women in your life are okay. sound's like a rough one.

:( :( :(

i took your word on the se-r btw, my friend test drove the v spec se-r the other day (6 spd) and LOVED it. i think he's gettin a rex anyway.

dR

·
Registered
907 Posts
That sucks big time, Poor WRX, At least you wernt injured. Better hurry and get it fixed!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.