ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I obviously have a problem here but I don't know what it is so I'd like some advice please. This has happened to me twice now while on the interstate. I have a 2002 WRX 190k miles stock that has had a few replacements over the years: fuel pump, radiator. I downshift (to 3rd or 4th) to accelerate and my RPMs shoot way up 5-6k but I'm not getting much acceleration. My tires aren't spinning either. What could this be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
You probably need a new clutch

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't say I'm happy to hear this but I did expect it. I'm just glad nobody said transmission.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Clutch job taken to a shop should run around $1400. The clutch disc and flywheel need to be replaced. Parts costs alone are around $750. I recommend OEM flywheel and EXedy OEM clutch disc

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
flywheel doesn't actually have to be replaced - you can get away with a resurface (or, most of the time, without). Only if you have deeply embedded hotspots, or if you want a lightweight flywheel, should you replace that.

The OEM replacement clutch from Exedy is what you want - it's the OEM clutch but cheaper. Parts cost: around $200. Labor is the tough one on this - you need to drop the trans, which is not easy. Let a pro do it - it'll cost you.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
flywheel doesn't actually have to be replaced - you can get away with a resurface (or, most of the time, without). Only if you have deeply embedded hotspots, or if you want a lightweight flywheel, should you replace that.

The OEM replacement clutch from Exedy is what you want - it's the OEM clutch but cheaper. Parts cost: around $200. Labor is the tough one on this - you need to drop the trans, which is not easy. Let a pro do it - it'll cost you.
The stock dual mass is not resurfaceable, so why risk it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts