Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some knee surgery done about 6 weeks ago. Been on crutches for those 6 weeks. I was told today that I could ditch the crutches. I tried to walk and darned near fell over. My knee can't support me anymore and it hurts like a SOB:( I need a cane. Experiences anyone?

There is a good side to all this. I asked my doc for more pain killers and he said "OK". That should numb it enough that I can practice walk until I fall asleep.:D Hydrocodone rules!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Your topic gave me this instant image:

Junaitari thrown in jail and was promptly bent over. He now needs to learn how to walk again! :eek:

Sorry...bad day at work :D

-LostLamb

·
1,379 Posts
BTDT! :(

Had cartilidge repair in January. I was on my butt for a good week save for shaky trips to the bathroom, then had to start on crutches for a couple of weeks, then began phasing them out. I can tell you from experience, at first it feels like you're hurting something to walk- as it, really hurting something, not just the normal sore-old-injury type hurt. I called my doc and asked him about it, and he said that's normal, to keep working. He was right, as you get strength back, the pain fades.

Oh yes, I love hydrocodone! That's the exact same thing I got. That stuff not only kills pain, but turns me into Mr. Outgoing... I'm normally kind of shy, but on that, I'm going around talking to folks and meeting new people, all without feeling overly loopy. Plus, for some reason it has the effect of really allowing me to focus on my work. Those weeks after I came back from my knee surgery were some of the most productive I've had! It was sad to see it go, but, I can't afford to feed my car addiction and a drug addiction. But on the upside, I still have one more knee to have fixed! :p

·
Registered
294 Posts
A car hit me on my motorcycle a few years ago and it made a mess of my bike. Oh and me knee as well. Once finished with P/T I became an avid cyclist and I think it made all the difference in my recovery. I have given up the bicycle for inline skates, which I like better.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AutoXJunkie said:

Oh yes, I love hydrocodone! That's the exact same thing I got. That stuff not only kills pain, but turns me into Mr. Outgoing... I'm normally kind of shy, but on that, I'm going around talking to folks and meeting new people, all without feeling overly loopy. Plus, for some reason it has the effect of really allowing me to focus on my work. Those weeks after I came back from my knee surgery were some of the most productive I've had! It was sad to see it go, but, I can't afford to feed my car addiction and a drug addiction. But on the upside, I still have one more knee to have fixed! :p
Same goes for me. I was actually taking two when I got home from surgery. Had me slurring my words and my fingers were so tingly and numb, that I couldn't hold onto a glass of water very well. But I was happy as a lark and slept like a log. As for the knee, I suppose I'm somewhat afraid to damage the work that's been done. Two screws and a bunch of holes drilled into the bone to make it bleed. The bone is still swollen and that's why I think it hurts so bad. Hooray for pain killers!!:D

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
AutoXJunkie said:

Had cartilidge repair in January. I was on my butt for a good week save for shaky trips to the bathroom, then had to start on crutches for a couple of weeks, then began phasing them out. I can tell you from experience, at first it feels like you're hurting something to walk- as it, really hurting something, not just the normal sore-old-injury type hurt. I called my doc and asked him about it, and he said that's normal, to keep working. He was right, as you get strength back, the pain fades.

Maybe you have ADD :p
Oh yeah and that sucks man, never happened to me, but I can only imagin how much that would affect your work days and such.

·
Registered
480 Posts
junaitari said:
Had some knee surgery done about 6 weeks ago. Been on crutches for those 6 weeks. I was told today that I could ditch the crutches. I tried to walk and darned near fell over. My knee can't support me anymore and it hurts like a SOB:( I need a cane. Experiences anyone?

Sorry to hear of it, junaitari. :eek: Seems kind of peculiar though, "You're good to go now, ditch the crutches." That's it ? I would think that your doctor would have hooked you up with a physical therapist and that you'd be doing stretching exercises, rehab and so on.

Yeah, that deep bone pain is the worst. Been knocked around a lot over the years, football, softball injuries, motorcycle, bicycle crashes. But, never had knee surgery, so I have no other advice to offer. I'm on a roll this year though, bitten by a dog, bitten by a rattlesnake, carpal tunnel surgery. Bill Clinton voice, "Ah feel your pain." :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pain Killers....

Hydrocodone.....Generic for VICODIN Hope they are the 7.5/500's :eek:

[Homer]mmmmmmm....VICODIN[/Homer]

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: I have to learn how to walk again :(

Sorry to hear of it, junaitari. :eek: Seems kind of peculiar though, "You're good to go now, ditch the crutches." That's it ? I would think that your doctor would have hooked you up with a physical therapist and that you'd be doing stretching exercises, rehab and so on.

Yeah, that deep bone pain is the worst. Been knocked around a lot over the years, football, softball injuries, motorcycle, bicycle crashes. But, never had knee surgery, so I have no other advice to offer. I'm on a roll this year though, bitten by a dog, bitten by a rattlesnake, carpal tunnel surgery. Bill Clinton voice, "Ah feel your pain." :D [/B]

I spent a lot of time working it to keep it from getting stiff while I was on the crutches. The doc was pleased with my progress and let me skip physical therapy. That may change after my next appt. though. I was actually walking last night. Pain killers make it easy.;) But this morning, when I got to work, I had a hard time walking. It seems the pain came back. Oh, well, I got 2 more weeks before my next appt. and I think I'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sounds painful.:(

I wish you a full speedy recovery! I've been fortunate to never experience pain as you are referring. Well except for that errant pitch that, instead of breaking across the plate, hit me in the face...<shudder> anyway, I wish you Godspeed in your recovery!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I'm hoping to recover quickly too. I have that baby coming in a couple of months. Gotta be prepared!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I feel your pain, Bro! I've never damaged a joint severely - but I was involuntarily swept off of my feet as it were, for ~1 month due to the fact that I ran through a plate glass window! :eek:

I ended up with 117 stitches in my legs and hands, and was bed-ridden for a month while what used to be my lower appendages decided to mend VERY slowly. :(

I now have a keen appreciation for self-mobility!

Godspeed in your recovery...

P.S. Kids, don't try this at home. :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
damn whose your doc???? All i get anymore is the 5/500.....
but after a motorcycle wreck broke my ankle in nine places and left me with a metal plate holding my tibia to my fibula....i got the much heralded DEMEROL.............sorry guys but this puts the Vicodin to shame........(sorry to say)
DML

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
is2scooby said:
I feel your pain, Bro! I've never damaged a joint severely - but I was involuntarily swept off of my feet as it were, for ~1 month due to the fact that I ran through a plate glass window! :eek:

I ended up with 117 stitches in my legs and hands, and was bed-ridden for a month while what used to be my lower appendages decided to mend VERY slowly. :(

I now have a keen appreciation for self-mobility!

Godspeed in your recovery...

P.S. Kids, don't try this at home. :D
Explain please!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
This was my recipe for disaster:

1. Anxious 9th grader (me) awaiting a call from beautiful 10th grade asking me to her Winter Banquet.
2. One term paper due regarding ancient civilizations, necessitating research - so the biggest/heaviest encyclopedia volume (no internet back then :D) in my hands...
3. One plate glass sliding door separating me in the patio from the interior of the house and consequently the telephone...
4. A ringing phone.
5. A mad dash for said phone (lugging the encyclopedia the whole way).
6. A blinding impact, and a terrible shattering of glass.
7. A number of screamed obscenities as reality hit.
8. Sheets of plate glass sliding down in the door frame to act as a make-shift guillotine.
9. A shocked kid who never made it to the phone but blew threw a pretty sturdy pane of glass.
10. An interesting realization that one's bones aren't actually white like you see in the movies, but yellow and covered in something that can only be described as akin to chicken skin/tissue.
11. Lots of blood and bone chips.
12. A trip in the back of an ambulance to the emergency room in which said 9th grader spends 8 hours getting 117 stitches.
13. A skin graft that manages to move a 1"x1" patch of rear-end skin to my thigh.
14. 1 month of being bed-ridden and worst of all...
15. A missed winter banquet. At least the girl didn't take anyone else and went stag in deference to my condition. :D

To be even slightly on-topic (sorry for the threadjack!) I don't remember what kind of painkillers I got... But whatever they were - they needed to be stronger! :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts