Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2016 WRX new with the intention of getting the new non-EJ Sti we were promised. Since that didn’t happen I set my sights on a new manual Supra, now I need to fit a car seat in the back so that’s off the table as well. So I’m keeping my car.

Ive been more or less happy with my stage 1 for the last 4 years but it has become stale recently. Since I’m keeping this car for the foreseeable future I’m changing all the things I don’t like about it.

previous mods: Access Port, Grimmspeed intake and EBCS, Perrin short shifter and shift knob, Enkei RS05RR wheels, OEM Sti lip/side skirts/ rear spats, Nameless muffler deletes.

new mods: Grimmspeed top mount intercooler, charge pipe, pitch stop mount, and pulley/ radiator covers, Race comp yellow springs, Radium engineering A/O separator, replacement OEM clutch, resurfaced flywheel, Pioneer 4600NEX wireless apple car play head unit, kicker speakers, alcantara steering wheel cover

In the garage but not yet installed: Grimmspeed V2 J-pipe, OLM silverline carbon fiber S style spoiler (OEM Sti style)

Picture’s coming soon…

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,750 Posts
Often times it's mods that increase your engagement that make the difference. I'm a big fan of ss brake lines and really agressive brake pads.

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Often times it's mods that increase your engagement that make the difference. I'm a big fan of ss brake lines and really agressive brake pads.
I’ve been looking at brake components there are just so many brands and I have so little experience in that upgrade department, any suggestions? I’d prefer to do a big brake kit for the aesthetic but I don’t think the expense is worth the cost to me.

· Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
833 Posts
I’ve been looking at brake components there are just so many brands and I have so little experience in that upgrade department, any suggestions? I’d prefer to do a big brake kit for the aesthetic but I don’t think the expense is worth the cost to me.
Why not an OEM Brembo upgrade by buying the calipers used? @silver_scooby here did that recently and can guide you.

· Registered
2021 WRX
809 Posts
Front brembos are well worth it for any type of track use. On the road, I saw a large improvement in brake force, able to lock up the wheels on dry roads now while with the stock brakes stopping distance was butt-clenching. Maybe it's the brembos, or maybe stock pads were crap or there was air in the lines.

EBC, Acdelco and oddly brembo all make reasonably priced & high quality rotors with rust protection, thickness variation of 0.1mm/0.004" or less & final balancing. Centric has variable quality, check the specs of each rotor part #.

Akebono, Stoptech, EBC all make good and reasonably priced pads. Carbotech, Ferrodo, hawk, etc. are good but too pricey unless you track it.

P.S. front brembos are bolt on and make a big difference. The rear brembos are a massive pain to install & need over 500$ in parts apart from the calipers so I didn't bother. Having just the fronts affects bias & the car is slightly unstable under very hard braking but nothing you can't compensate for with countersteer.

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Front brembos are well worth it for any type of track use. On the road, I saw a large improvement in brake force, able to lock up the wheels on dry roads now while with the stock brakes stopping distance was butt-clenching. Maybe it's the brembos, or maybe stock pads were crap or there was air in the lines.

EBC, Acdelco and oddly brembo all make reasonably priced & high quality rotors with rust protection, thickness variation of 0.1mm/0.004" or less & final balancing. Centric has variable quality, check the specs of each rotor part #.

Akebono, Stoptech, EBC all make good and reasonably priced pads. Carbotech, Ferrodo, hawk, etc. are good but too pricey unless you track it.

P.S. front brembos are bolt on and make a big difference. The rear brembos are a massive pain to install & need over 500$ in parts apart from the calipers so I didn't bother. Having just the fronts affects bias & the car is slightly unstable under very hard braking but nothing you can't compensate for with countersteer.
Thanks, thats good information. I’m sure I’ll be doing the fronts now with upgraded pads/ rotors in the rear. When I build my car fund back up lol
Where’d you find them?

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should have added I run the stock 18” wheels in the winter if I get Perrin 10mm spacers will the sti front calipers fit? I always thought they would. They look the old STI wheels from five years ago or so.

· Registered
2021 WRX
809 Posts
Thanks, thats good information. I’m sure I’ll be doing the fronts now with upgraded pads/ rotors in the rear. When I build my car fund back up lol
Where’d you find them?
ebay. You might also find them on forums or at car meets. Look for individuals selling takeoffs. Avoid the "professionally refurbished" ones, those are usually painted knockoffs. Rebuild them with oem rebuild kit from dealer, crossover o-rings from machV and new hardware, bleed valves, banjo bolts, mounting bolts, etc.

The black, red & gold sti brembos are all identical for front except color. The black & red rears are direct bolt ons. Gold rears need an adapter bracket. The yellows are direct bolt on front & rear but the calipers & rotors are very expensive.

I should have added I run the stock 18” wheels in the winter if I get Perrin 10mm spacers will the sti front calipers fit? I always thought they would. They look the old STI wheels from five years ago or so.
18" from which year? STi wheels should all clear without any spacers.

18" wrx wheels from 2020 & 21 will also fit without any spacers. 18" wrx wheels from 2018 & 19 will need 5mm spacers. 10mm is overkill for any wheel.

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ebay. You might also find them on forums or at car meets. Look for individuals selling takeoffs. Avoid the "professionally refurbished" ones, those are usually painted knockoffs. Rebuild them with oem rebuild kit from dealer, crossover o-rings from machV and new hardware, bleed valves, banjo bolts, mounting bolts, etc.

The black, red & gold sti brembos are all identical for front except color. The black & red rears are direct bolt ons. Gold rears need an adapter bracket. The yellows are direct bolt on front & rear but the calipers & rotors are very expensive.

18" from which year? STi wheels should all clear without any spacers.

18" wrx wheels from 2020 & 21 will also fit without any spacers. 18" wrx wheels from 2018 & 19 will need 5mm spacers. 10mm is overkill for any wheel.
I have 2016 limited wrx wheels they look just like the 2013 sti wheels pretty sure they are the same just a different color

15,750 Posts
Every car mag was running articles about a 400hp FA24 STi for 2+ years. Also subaru's own promo materials, parts catalog & DCCD slot on the VB shows that it was close to production & cancelled at the last minute.
Yeah and most of those outlets were called out for being unrealistic. The odds of anything more substantial than 310-330hp were just insane hopes.

I'm guessing the big demand for electric vehicles helped them fold that hand. If I recall the announcement hinted at something different for the STI being possible in the future. I'm going to guess an electric vehicle seeing as that new all electric is on the market.

· Registered
2021 WRX
809 Posts
Yeah and most of those outlets were called out for being unrealistic. The odds of anything more substantial than 310-330hp were just insane hopes.

I'm guessing the big demand for electric vehicles helped them fold that hand. If I recall the announcement hinted at something different for the STI being possible in the future. I'm going to guess an electric vehicle seeing as that new all electric is on the market.
400 was ambitious but doable. The wrx S4 had 296hp from FA20. Same specific output translates to 355hp for FA24 wrx. An extra 12% for STi gets you to 400hp.

15,750 Posts
400 was ambitious but doable. The wrx S4 had 296hp from FA20. Same specific output translates to 355hp for FA24 wrx. An extra 12% for STi gets you to 400hp.
After the EJ lawsuits I'd venture they wouldn't push their luck. It's hard saying. I know a while back we had a metric shit ton of development parts for Subaru from our HPV segment. I don't know if it was related to the electric they released, they opted for another vendor, or it was for the cancelled STI. But after all of it there was total radio silence on production tooling.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts