ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday, 9/28 I returned from a ~2,500 mile road trip to Maryland with a day trip up to Gettysburg. The ZL1 performed flawlessly. It drew attention nearly everywhere that I parked it. It was just an amazing vehicle. It was my pleasure to have owned a true world class supercar. It really was that good.

However, I have made a change. I was able to make a trade for a 1 owner 2019 Mercedes CLS 450 with ~9,100 miles. This is an astonishing vehicle. It has the new in-line 6 cylinder with a 48 volt, mild-hybrid second engine. The main drivers were shrinking the fleet (both the ZL1 and the Honda truck are gone) and getting me into a more comfortable, luxury road car. The catch is that the car is smarter than I am (OK, I know that is a very low bar). The technology is just astounding. I have a concierge session next week to try and gain a small bit of fluency with the car (yes, I'm reading the manual).

I hope I'll still be allowed to hang around. I do enjoy many of the folks here and it keeps me grounded in another piece of the car culture.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,285 Posts
Congrats! that's a pretty car. Very sleek lines. Enjoy!

·
11,433 Posts
Inline 6 engines need to make a comeback. Smooth, great exhaust sound, torque out the ass and a long service life.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inline 6 engines need to make a comeback. Smooth, great exhaust sound, torque out the ass and a long service life.
Well the added 180+ pounds of torque from the mild hybrid engine does give it a bit of grunt, for sure. MB's old inline sixes used to be called million mile engines. This thing is smooth. Just effortless.

·
11,433 Posts
All i6 engines are beautifully smooth. Doesn't matter if it's Ford 300 or an amc straight 6, to bmw and mercedes i 6 engines they are all smooth, long-lived and legendary.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,285 Posts
I've had two Nissans with a straight six that the Japanese copied from the Germans. Seven main bearings. Nice engines in their day.

I think Merc moved to a V6 from the I6 in petrol engines in 1998. This was probably so they can make a V family and the 8 and 6 could share components, so it made sense at the time. Of course even back then simplicity was not their strength. Magnesium intake manifold. Two spark plugs and three valves per cylinder. Three fans; two electric pushers that share a motor with one driving the other via belt, and one puller fan using a fan clutch. The usual.

I really like the paintwork on your car. Looks really classy.

·
2,583 Posts
Looks great! We had a 2008 C-Class for nine years, before Deb sold it and got a Mazda CX-5. It was a wonderful car for road trips, and got pretty good gas mileage.
But I’d never own another. I’m pretty handy, but M-B has so much tied to electronics, that I was out of my element. The killer was when the ignition system wouldn’t recognize the key. (USB shaped projection on the fob.) It required replacing the ignition switch and another module I can’t recall now associated with the switch. Both were tied to the VIN and could only be purchased by Mercedes dealers and only installed by then. Close to $3000 later, we sold it for $11,000, and felt lucky to get that.

I’d lease one, and would love an E-450 wagon! But once the lease was done, that sucker would be gone!
Enjoy, and I look forward to reading about the many trouble-free miles you put on it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great! We had a 2008 C-Class for nine years, before Deb sold it and got a Mazda CX-5. It was a wonderful car for road trips, and got pretty good gas mileage.
But I’d never own another. I’m pretty handy, but M-B has so much tied to electronics, that I was out of my element. The killer was when the ignition system wouldn’t recognize the key. (USB shaped projection on the fob.) It required replacing the ignition switch and another module I can’t recall now associated with the switch. Both were tied to the VIN and could only be purchased by Mercedes dealers and only installed by then. Close to $3000 later, we sold it for $11,000, and felt lucky to get that.

I’d lease one, and would love an E-450 wagon! But once the lease was done, that sucker would be gone!
Enjoy, and I look forward to reading about the many trouble-free miles you put on it.
I wouldn't have one without a warranty, either. I'll buy the factory extended warranty when the warranty gets near to up. I still have ~3 years and 40,000 more miles, as things are.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet my STI can beat it in a street race.
Very likely. This isn't a hot rod. This is quiet, comfy and smooth. It pulls well enough, but would likely lose to the little 4 pot parked next to it in the garage.

I probably should have made some sort of Druid sacrifice to the god's of speed but simply made peace with myself and let the ZL1 go. Gone are the 0-130MPH pull in less than 13 seconds.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Haha. I was just being a sarcastic ass. Everything modern could probably beat my stock STI in a drag race, but the days of being concerned with such things are long gone.

Sweet car, bro. Beautiful color.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha. I was just being a sarcastic ass. Everything modern could probably beat my stock STI in a drag race, but the days of being concerned with such things are long gone.

Sweet car, bro. Beautiful color.
You have made a lot of mature choices with your STI. That counts for a bunch. As you are well aware of, too many of the younger crowd think that the WRX is a dragon slayer. They also believe that a handful of poorly thought out modifications will make it faster than the SR-71. I scratched my WRX itch in 2015. They are a fair value of a car. The performance / practicality equation is a good one. The STI has the added edge and that is something that can be appreciated by the aficionado.

True statement: This forum gives me access to the younger car community. I like that. Someone needs to carry the flame into what ever the car future is.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thanks man. I'm glad you're sticking around, despite getting rid of the WRX, even well before this car. I like this site, because the members here are more mature and I can get better insight from them. I've been around for a while, but my knowledge is extremely basic compared to other users.

It's great here. Most of the new gen dudes get sucked up by sites like IWSTI, which are dominated by, "Do these wheels fit" and picture threads of "builds" which consist of switching out every interior light to LED's, overlaying everything, and swapping out badges. I had a brief moment of stupidity where I got sucked into buying nearly $4,000 of wheels and lowering springs which did nothing but compromise the ride quality, change the feel of the car, add to pre-existing suspension issues, and it caused rubbing issues despite multiple users confirming the setup would fit. That lasted a month. Dumb.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man. I'm glad you're sticking around, despite getting rid of the WRX, even well before this car. I like this site, because the members here are more mature and I can get better insight from them. I've been around for a while, but my knowledge is extremely basic compared to other users.

It's great here. Most of the new gen dudes get sucked up by sites like IWSTI, which are dominated by, "Do these wheels fit" and picture threads of "builds" which consist of switching out every interior light to LED's, overlaying everything, and swapping out badges. I had a brief moment of stupidity where I got sucked into buying nearly $4,000 of wheels and lowering springs which did nothing but compromise the ride quality, change the feel of the car, add to pre-existing suspension issues, and it caused rubbing issues despite multiple users confirming the setup would fit. That lasted a month. Dumb.

GM built the ZL1 1LE model. It has a Multimatic DSSV suspension. Yep, the same type as Formula 1 cars. I've read about people starting out by making changes to this suspension. You were in some type of company (I don't think the word good applies here).

I'll hold down the Old [email protected] Fort for a while. You hold down the learning from your mistakes plot of ground. ALL good places.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick add for a quick shake down run. I traveled to one of my Pod friend's house in Bourg, LA. We have traveled a large part of the U.S. together. From Montana to Gettysburg. We have kayaked The Buffalo, Niangua, Jack's Fork, Current and White rivers. In other words, we have traveled a bit together. He named the Jaguar XJ Portfolio The Magic Carpet.

It is some 130 miles one way to his house. We then had lunch and embarked on a 20 mile out on one of the near-by roads for a little evaluation. One passing opportunity (2 vehicles on a 2 lane road) and one playtime acceleration. Gary played with the seating, climate control and we both enjoyed the sound system. The sound of Bermester sound system is very good. It is maybe the best that we've owned. I make no claim to being an expert. I just know that I like what I like. We both liked this a lot.

The verdict: The vehicle was enthusiastically accepted as being fit to travel anywhere at anytime.

P.S. 29.2 miles per gallon on a ~300 mile road trip.

·
11,433 Posts
Man 29 a gallon. I'm thrilled when I'm getting 13.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Sounds like smooth sailing.

Did you pace any STI's for several miles, trying to get them to race even though you know your car is faster? That seems to be a pretty popular thing to do.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like smooth sailing.

Did you pace any STI's for several miles, trying to get them to race even though you know your car is faster? That seems to be a pretty popular thing to do.
True thing: A group of 4 younger adults in a Maserati Quattroporte did pace me on Hiway 90 for a mile or so. Whole windows down yelling back and forth. Thumbs up and they motored away. I don't think they were looking for a roll race, just seemed to be interested in the car.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man 29 a gallon. I'm thrilled when I'm getting 13.
The ZL1 returned 23 on my trip to Maryland / Gettysburg PA. Around town .... 12 wasn't bad. The little 4 pot only gets around 28 on the hiway. 15-17 around town. Not great for a 2.0 liter 4 pot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts