ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot resist 70's vintage multi-cylinder 2 stroke street bikes. They call to me to buy them, build them, save them, ride them, or just stare at them in my garage. Here is my latest...

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
The great Barry White said "Your Sweetness is My Weakness" but in any case, I understand. Fully.

One possible cure is to move away from Japanese bikes and look at Eastern Block 2 strokes. That should cure you right away!

The Japanese 2 strokes are epic though!

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The great Barry White said "Your Sweetness is My Weakness" but in any case, I understand. Fully.

One possible cure is to move away from Japanese bikes and look at Eastern Block 2 strokes. That should cure you right away!

The Japanese 2 strokes are epic though!
Ha ha. Well put! :)

This old girl had a loving owner since 1979. She's a '76 GT380. She runs, rides, and smoked up my neighborhood tonight. I scored her for such a cheap price it's incredible. The old man said to me "It's not about the money. I like talking to you."

She needs a fair amount of work to meet my standards, but it's a nice solid platform.

·
29,225 Posts
I have never seen a 380 with the tall handle bars in person; in fact this may be the first example I see even in a photo. It could be many owners switched to clip ons, I don't know. I like the colour and the bike looks very, very nice. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never seen a 380 with the tall handle bars in person; in fact this may be the first example I see even in a photo. It could be many owners switched to clip ons, I don't know. I like the colour and the bike looks very, very nice. Congrats!
That is actually something I would like to change. The bars, seat and emblems are incorrect. If they have to be incorrect, these wouldn't be my choice. I think she may get sticky tires, a mild cafe seat, euro bars and a 3 into 1 chamber. She just needs to be a little more sporty.

·
29,225 Posts
That would change the bike dramatically and give it much more of a widow-maker look. I like how you're thinking. Hopefully the $ makes sense too, and you'll have yourself a class ride.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would change the bike dramatically and give it much more of a widow-maker look. I like how you're thinking. Hopefully the $ makes sense too, and you'll have yourself a class ride.
I'm normally wired to either bring them back to stock or wildly modify. This one I think I'll try a compromise.

She has a fair amount of small rigs on her. Like previously mentioned the seat is atrocious and the bars are horrible. Grips with tassles belong on Harleys. Cromed pegs with rubber stripes belong on Harleys. He has the incorrect emblems on the tank, and the ram air emblems are missing. The rear grab bar is missing which really sucks. Good luck finding one of them. I knocked the left front signal off last night but realized it was rigged on there. I don't think I'll do a complete resto, but she needs to get torn down, cleaned, inspected, painted and reassembled.

·
Damned Malcontent
709 Posts
what is the allure of the "multi cylinder, 2-stroke" engines of these bikes?

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what is the allure of the "multi cylinder, 2-stroke" engines of these bikes?
That is something that is very hard to explain.

They were loud, obnoxious, smoky, and for the most part unreliable. They made good power (for the day) from small displacement. They were incredibly simple to work on, and parts were cheap. Even with their shortcomings they turned the motorcycling world upside down in the 70's until the EPA put a cork in them. Once the US government shunned them, the rest of the world followed suit. Most were tossed in the garbage, left behind barns and garages, raced, beat up, chopped up and forgotten about. They have now become extremely collectible and sought after.

It really boils down to this. Some people get it, some don't. The only way to know is to swing your leg over one and smoke up the neighborhood with the front wheel in the air. If you come back smitten, your hooked.

This is just music to my ears -

GT380 Piper - YouTube

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Not sure what it is about it but Im glad your changing out the tires.. They look a little dual purpose to me and that baby screams gorgeous cafe style bike IMHO.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
That looks & sounds pretty sweet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts