ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home tonight. I went from 2nd gear and ripped into 3rd and then into 4th. When I hit 4th and boost kicked in my car kicked back. I let off and tried again and the same problem occured.

My issue: It will not build boost over 1.0 bar or 14.7 psi. I usually run 21 psi on my 18g. When it gets to 1.0 bar the power stops and it kinda studders. I dont really push it past that or keep it floored because I'm kinda scared... I looked in my engine bay and my hoses seem ok, and my turbo hoses seem ok too. There is some black gook on my inlet hose to the turbine wheel but the clamp is still on and the hose still goes beyond the clamp to the wheel.

I'm so upset. I know its hard w/out looking at it but any suggestions or tips may help. I will bring it in to subaru to look at it but I just wanted some help from my online friends...:(

Thanks
Will

·
Registered
498 Posts
wont build over 1 bar? did you check the wastegate actuator?

im not all too familiar with how a wastegate functions, but i think its spring loaded and the spring might be messed up or something. im still learnin cars...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
sounds like something that happend to my friends saab. When he got on it the car would kick back, then he got a new clutch and it was all smooth sailing after that.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch ?....you really think it could be that ?

I can drive the car in any gear as long as I dont boost higher then 14 lbs. Once the gauge hits that it sputters .

·
Registered
664 Posts
are you getting any CEL's?

I know someone with an 1820 that had a cracked Turbo Inlet hose, boost was also limited to around 1 bar

Some other things to consider is a fouled injector, clogged fuel filter. Other than that Id start gettin on the phone with qualified experts... I had a technical question regarding a transmission, and NO ONE was able to answer my question on club wrx.

Not that Clubwrx is inferior, just that not many of us are technically certified

·
Registered
159 Posts
My friend you have an intercooler hose or some type of boost leak. Do you have a FMIC?? 99% sure you have a nice sized boost leak or your bov is leaking boost. If its not that then check plugs and do a compression check.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I check ?

Do I take all of the hoses off and examine them ?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
13secwrx said:
How do I check ?

Do I take all of the hoses off and examine them ?
I would start with the turbo inlet hose.. Those have been known to crack with time....

as for how to know if there is a leak? I would suggest immersing the hose in water, seal one end off with duct tape or something, then blow through it.. Any leaks will show up as air bubbles..

I am sure therr are other ways of doing things, but that's what I would have done first..

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is what I did to check for boost leaks:
Measure the outside diameter of the intercooler piping that you can easily get to so that you can slip this into the silicon hose that you feel is easiest to get to. Then go buy a PVC "cap" that has close to the same outside diameter of the piping and then go buy a quick connect fitting for a home air compressor and a tap for it and the drill bit for the tap. Then when you get home drill and tap the cap for the little quick connect fitting so that you can connect it to an air compressor(MAKE SURE THE COMPRESSOR OUTLET PRESSURE IS 25PSI or below to do the testing. Then attach at that junction and pressurize the system and see if you have leaks... if you do find them and fix them... if its your bov tighten it... if its not a leak in the intercooler piping get someone to step on the gas so that the throttle plate opens and test inside the manifold for little hoses that might be cracked or off.

Thanks the short of it. IM me on aim at eightballrj or email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions you want to ask. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW...I'm not quite sure I can do that. Thank you for that though...I think I'm gonna wait till monday and go to Subaru...Ihave to. I have no shops local to me

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
if ur going to a subaru dealer to get it looked at. Go to metric they r the best

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
13secwrx said:
WOW...I'm not quite sure I can do that. Thank you for that though...I think I'm gonna wait till monday and go to Subaru...Ihave to. I have no shops local to me
Are you sure your Suby dealer will even look at the car ? Especially with that turbo and FMIC sitting in there?

·
Registered
159 Posts
They sent me back out the door last time I was there and I didnt even have my 6spd in or the turbo or the fuel system... just the fmic. Kinda tipped them off;)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont want to drive it back there just yet because its so far. HTis place metrick works on aftermarket subarus after shop hrs. They have done quite a bit of work . Its not under any warranty so Im not worried about that I have 60k ...I just want it fixed, if they fuddle around w/it then I will jsut drive it back home...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok last questions.
I just drove my car again. It idles, starts, and drives fine in every gear. It only sputters when my boost gauge hits 1.1 bar. So I can give them some ideas which one of these sounds more logical.

1. wastegate problem w/turbo
2. spark plug problem
3. leak, hole, or rip in hose ?
4. head gasket problem ?

thanks

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
What do you mean by stutter?

Not to state the obvious here, but something is giving when you hit 1.1bar. I'm not quite sure what you mean by stutter, though, so that'll all I'll suggest for now.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stutter: boost wont go any higher and teh car feels like it has no more power. Almost like someone let all the air out of a balloon. I dont stay on the throttle though...I take my foot off and shift.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts