ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am always on this site but usually in the pure performance &
Electronic Engine Management sections. So I'm pretty ignorant in this area.

Let me just tell you the issue or problem & let me know what the best way to fix it would be.

My current set up is a 2004 WAGON with 18"wheels and the TEIN H Tech springs(it was alligned after spring instal) and a Cusco front top mount strut bar. Thats it. No end links, & no front or rear sway bars.

Here is the issue, when I go into a turn the car wants to continue to go straight instead of into the turn.

What to do?? Sway bar's?? Rear strut bar??

Let me know.

Thanks,

J.D.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm sure someone who knows more may chime in with a better answer. But from what I've read on these forums there are two mods that can really help this problem.

First and most important are sway bars. An aftermarket set will have a stiff rear and a lighter front. This should reduce understeer. While you're doing the rear bar, it should be a snap to replace the endlinks at the same time, so these two mods tend to go hand-in-hand.

Secondly, the slow turn-in has been attributed to mushy steering bushings. From what I've read, replacing these will make the car more responsive when cornering.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
the problem you're talking about is called understeer. ALL consumer cars are designed to understeer because understeer is a lot less scary than the alternative (oversteer) where your rear end breaks loose, swings around and puts you in a spin. Understeer is also much easier to recover from.

the front strut bar on the WRX is almost completely useless. I got one because i just bought the set on Ebay for about $80 (they're all over the place on ebay...replica STi strut bars). Basically, stiffening up the back reduces understeer/induces oversteer, stiffening the front reduces oversteer/induces understeer.

I would recomend against going TOO stiff on the rear sway bar because learning about throttle-lift oversteer at an inoppertune moment is NOT fun.

Personally I have an 02 wagon. I got the front and rear strut bar (sedan rear strut bar requires tiny cuts in the trunk liner to fit, but not a big deal...and you can get the set on ebay for about $80 shipped). I also got a 20mm 02-03 sedan rear sway bar (got it for free from local shop...but you can buy one new for about $80 online), and solid rear endlinks from a vendor on ebay ($50 shipped).

this gave me a little bit of oversteer so I bought a front 4-point underbrace (same ebay vendor who sold me the endlinks...its a copy of the cusco v2 and I paid $75 shipped). My car is now 100% neutral. I CAN make it oversteer if i want it to, but its totally controllable, even on dirt. I highly recoment this setup. whole thing cost less than $200. I wouldn't buy EVERYTHING on ebay, but some of it is decent stuff and its quite a deal.

get from ebay:
front (optional) and rear strut bars
rear end links
front underbrace

get from local subaru shop or allsubaru.com
20mm rear sway bar (don't forget 20mm bushings...you need 2)

by far the biggest effect will be from the 20mm sway bar (yours is 17mm).

a lot of people on here have 22mm-26mm rear sway bars, and they will ALL tell you that unless you do some serious work on the front of the car as well, you WILL oversteer, especially if you brake, accelerate, or take your foot off the throttle in a turn.

remember also that stiffer sway bars reduce the effectiveness of your independant suspension. that means if your left wheel hits a bump, your right wheel will bounce too if your sway bar is too stiff...and you can forget rally-x. anything stiffer than 20mm is probably not good for daily driving, because you constantly have to keep in mind that you can go into a spin if you're not careful. unless you're racing on VERY flat tarmac (auto-x or drag racing) its over kill and causes more drivability problems than it solves

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a deal on the Helix front & rear sway bars for $219 with free shipping. (I think that is a good price)

Can you give me a link to the steering bushings you were talking about.

J.D.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
steering bushings solve a different problem...I'd try sway bars and end links first. They're MUCH easier to install and might get you out of having to do the bushings. they're a PITA to install.

the Helix sway bars are probably too stiff. get a Subaru 20mm first and see how you like it. you're looking at about $160 savings.

steering bushings "Fix" the WRX's spongy feel when you first turn your steering wheel. it has nothing to do with actual handling and response, only with the feel of the steering wheel on the initial turn-in at the start of a turn. its not a bad mod my any stretch of imagination, but it won't solve understeer, that's all. its only $30 in parts, but 2-3 hours of work from what I understand. you have to either disconnect the steering rack, or bend the power steering lines to do the install.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am having a 2003 sedan RSB installed tomorrow morning for $50.00.

Hopefully I will notice a little difference.

J.D.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Nice. That should help out a lot. If you find that you want a little snappier handling, go with some new endlinks for the rear. Those are next on my list of suspension mods... (besides new springs)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Integra96 said:
Nice. That should help out a lot. If you find that you want a little snappier handling, go with some new endlinks for the rear. Those are next on my list of suspension mods... (besides new springs)
You did the Helix RSB right???

jd

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Check out the sticky at top- many, many ways to help dial out understeer. Go the slow approach, what's fun oversteer at a autox event can be dangerous at speed.

I like to set up a car prety much neutral w/ still a hint of understeer. How you drive also has a large impact on handling (under/over steer).

Big Sky

·
1,999 Posts
Yes exactly.....understeer and oversteer come about in various ways. In the tight autox....rabid oversteer from throttle modulation seems great fun, but would often require a talented, skilled foot when driving full-on on a circuit(especially something with J corners).

Furthermore, the most common recommendation is to swap in a thick swaybar to dial out understeer....but this doesn't help the front end bite.....while something like a whiteline ALK does.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I put on a 2003 20mm sedan RSB yesterday & hit a few turns with it.

Much better & a good step in the right direction. Maybe end links & a rear strut bar next.

Maybe just endlinks:confused1

J.D.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Do the strut bar also...I found that it really helped things out. Don't spend more than $30 or so on it; look on Ebay for some STi replicas or something.

·
Registered
956 Posts
the sti replicas are actually good? I thought that they were not good. just what I heard romor wise. I know nothing.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
the sti replicas are actually good? I thought that they were not good. just what I heard romor wise. I know nothing.
works just as well as any $200 strut bar.

for "front end bite" get the cusco V2 replica being sold on Ebay. you can pick one up for about $70. fitment is perfect

·
Registered
956 Posts
ok thanx :)

·
Registered
10,357 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
I didnt think a little brace like that would be that effective. I'll have to check into that when I start doing suspension in another month or two. I was looking at getting a 22m RSB and endlinks for my wagon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts