ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a 1987 Merkur XR4Ti. I drove past this old beast on the way to AutoSpeed and the sign said FREE. The paint is shot, the interior is shot, the tires are shot, and the the turbo is shot, but it has <83k miles on it. The body is also in excellent condition.

I'm picking up the keys and the title tomorrow. Then I have to limp it to a friends house. Thanks for offering to car sit for me Chris!

Here are the plans for the car!

-Jim

·
1,816 Posts
Jim, we can store that on Base real cheap if you want. Plus we can pull it into the bays when we want to wrench it. Let me know if you are interested in doing that and I'll find out how much it will be. We should start looking at junkyards for Ford T-bird coupes and 80s Turbo mustangs for parts. Gimme a call.

-Chris (the second 1/2 of PPMs Rally Team :D)

Jim- lets get a $200 silver paint job on this puppy once its stripped and seam welded ;)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Nice pick. Not only does it look like it will make a good rally car, but it's a very original pick too. Keep us posted on its progress :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fengshui said:
Jim, we can store that on Base real cheap if you want. Plus we can pull it into the bays when we want to wrench it. Let me know if you are interested in doing that and I'll find out how much it will be. We should start looking at junkyards for Ford T-bird coupes and 80s Turbo mustangs for parts. Gimme a call.

-Chris (the second 1/2 of PPMs Rally Team :D)

Jim- lets get a $200 silver paint job on this puppy once its stripped and seam welded ;)
Chris, IMPRESvWRX (Chris H.) has offered to store the car for me already. He is also getting a lift in his garage. Since he lives close by, he's the obvious choice.

I plan to Maaco the whole car back to it's original red. Since the primer, base coat, and final coat are red, painting it silver would yield red scratches and look ghetto.

Finding parts is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I did find this place already: http://www.batinc.net/merkur.htm

-Jim

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
How many non-functioning cars do you plan on having at one time Jim?! :p

Those can be great cars if they are in good shape. They're actually pretty easy to find parts for since damn domestic cars are like lego sets! Snap some pics of the actual car when you get a chance!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Anyway to swap on a DOHC head to get rid of the SOHC?? You may be able to swap in a Ford Cosworth Head if it is possible and the benefits are obvious.

Any way to build the motor? its a s.s so make it a 2.4.;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MidKnight said:
How many non-functioning cars do you plan on having at one time Jim?! :p
The non-functioning WRX is not my fault. The non-functioning beetle was free and I need to get around to getting that going again. The non-functioning XR4Ti is free and is a really neat little car.

My Neon is my only functional car. I have to give it props, I beat on it, and it just comes back for more!

-Jim

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got the keys and the title today. It's an automatic. :( I'm just going to fix it up and sell it. I can't be concerned with sourcing a powertrain for this car. I'd rather get something that is easier to find parts for.

-Jim

·
1,816 Posts
Jim, NOOOOOOOO damn auto. Still, we might find a manual trans, or make it a drag racer. I'd keep it nonetheless. Damn Merkur, they made so many autos. :(

The search for our rally car is still on...

-Chris

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
PPMotorsports said:
So, anyone have an SVO Mustang rusting away in their local junkyard? :)

-Jim
you may want to try the thunderbirds too, they are just as cheap, and have the turbo 4 in them to, the later ones have 5.0's and S/C vee 6's

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Jim, call these guys. They have a car in their yard for parts.

TILGHMANS AUTO PARTS Address 1: 304 ROUTE 68
Address 2:
City: JOBSTOWN
State/Province: NJ
Zip: 08041
Contact Name: Micheal, Erik, Joe Phone #1: 609-723-7469
Phone #2: 609-723-7481
Fax #: 609-723-6342

1 - 15 of 15 Posts