Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the picture, let me know what you guys think :) They're 45MM offset and I got some Toyo Tires on them. At first I thought they were heavy but they're not heavy at all. The 18" setup I got was only ~20-21lbs (I used a bathroom scale and subtracted my weight + the rims by my weight).

I got 225/40/18 tires and the circumfrence is almost identical. Can't awit for Eibach to finish up on my springs.

web page

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks great. I saw that your car is on the web site. Do they need a wagon to test or display ? jk. I'm still deciding which wheels to get.

·
Registered
155 Posts
looks good mr administrator!

are you planning on dropping the car a little?

just curious as to any rubbing

ryan

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: Mt_Fuji ]

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know what, I asked a lot of people and they said that +45 is minimum and if possible go for +48. The difference between the two wheels is that one of them sticks out 3 millimeters futher.

I called up Mackin (distributor for volk racing wheels) and asked them about wheel offsets and they said they do have a few WRXs with offsets lower than 42, i think one of them had a 35mm offset, lowered, but it rubs a little.

I guess it all depends on how technical you want to get. As for wheel geometry I think it would make a small difference but MR2 widebody owners often switch from 45mm to 34mm offset and htey don't seem to have a problem with it. The rims I got seems to go pretty well on my car, I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and right and there's absolutely no rubbing at all.

Jorge: Thanks for the compliment :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
First of all, let me compliment you on your new wheels. I was looking at some Dronells myself (the M05 wheels, to be exact).

I realize that this topic is in a few different places on the site, and that I may be posting this in an inappropriate location as well as making everyone sick of reading about it.

But, on the topic of offset (I can almost see the rotten tomatoes coming at me): Now that the respected administrator has opted to purchase a +45 setup (despite the availability of a +48 for the same size/type of wheel), what is the minimum allowable offset for the 2002 WRX? I have read lots of conflicting information on the subject and would like to hear it from the owners themselves. I have read that +48 is the minimum and that +48 - +53 is the range that an Impreza owner should stay within to avoid problems such as wheel rub. Yet, there are folks here that have successfully mounted 18 x 7.5 +45 wheels. Does the range mentioned above only apply to the older Impreza? have the new, blistered wheel wells finally freed Impreza owners from the < +48 confinement into the wonderous variety of the +45 world? And then there is the previously mentioned possiblity of premature bearing wear. Is this something that the new +45 owners can only wait to find out about? Or is this again only applicable to pre 2002 WRX owners?

Let's face it folks, there isn't a whole to of choice in the world of <+48, and those on a budget (or those who want to see if a cheap set of 18 x 7.5s will survive a year their daily commute before they plunk down +$2000 for a set of TE37s - or Dronell M05s for that matter) are out of luck if they are looking for the "proper" +48 - +53 offset.

Thank You for your time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts