ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I made a few posts a while back with some questions about the WRX. Due to the unavailability and other reasons, I decided it wasn't possible for me to get a WRX within my price range. I contacted almost every single dealerships in the state and they'd either have STIs or loaded Preimum/Limited models. The dealerships that had the ones I was interested in were pretty much jerks so I decided to look at another brand. Here's what I got:

2012-01-04 10.35.40.jpg

I have never driven a RWD nor anything over 220ish hp so this is a BIG step up for me. Not trying to start any flames wars but I would definitely recommend it if you don't need AWD or a sedan. I was skeptical at first because I know there are a lot of mustang owners and one of the reasons why I wanted a Subaru is because how rare it is in my area. But the car looks WAY better in person. I actually wanted to change the wheels but I really think it matches the car perfectly. Also I was a little worried about the issues some people have been having with the manual transmission in the '11 and '12 mustangs. So far none.

Btw, my AWESOME girlfriend got me the Zaino Total Protection Show Car kit for christmas!!!

2012-01-05 00.52.41.jpg

I never knew there was a difference between Polishing vs Waxing but Zaino is non-abrasive polishing materials so it works out perfectly! Right now the only problem is getting used to the manual transmission...I am having a hard time shifting smoothly...this car is def a monster.

Anyway, I hope I can still a part of this Subaru community :(
I was really looking forward to giving thumbs up or waving at other Subaru owners, back when I thought I was getting a Subaru.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Not my cup of tea but still looks good.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I could tell you about my 2006 Mustang GT, but I don't want to come off as uber negative towards the Mustang platform and Ford since I have a hate-hate relationship with Ford in general. Let's just say I am so happy to be out of my 2006 Mustang GT and into a 2012 Subaru WRX.

In all seriousness, if you want to know the corners Ford cut and what problems you may encounter, send me a PM because many of the issues still exist even though Ford tweaked the S197 platform. They aren't that bad or that expensive, but I can tell you what to look out for.

The first mods for your car that I would recommend would be to replace your rear lower control arms, rear upper control arm, and install a Fays2 Watts link. The next series of mods should be front k-member, a-arms, and strut mounts. That about covers all the weak points on the car where Ford cut corners to keep it at a lower price point and those mods will significantly improve handling. Only after addressing those issues should you consider a cold air intake and a tune since they assist in getting the power to the ground.

Word of caution on the cold air intake and tune. Ford sent out a TSB basically telling the dealership to look for signs of ECU access regarding warranty repairs. Basically, if they reasonably suspect that you tuned the car, you may have a fight regarding any warranty work if the engine pops or the transmission goes.

Sorry, went off on a tangent, and I hope I wasn't too negative...

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Be careful of those pesky driveshaft failures. Other than that, congrats to you.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
I thought that was only on the V6 stangs?
Right you are! It's the entire transmission that's the problem on the 5.0's. ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Right you are! It's the entire transmission that's the problem on the 5.0's. ;)
Yet another corner cut to keep the vehicle at a specific price point. To me, it seems out of place to have a Mustang GT without a Tremec transmission.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the purchase! I could tell you about my 2006 Mustang GT, but I don't want to come off as uber negative towards the Mustang platform and Ford since I have a hate-hate relationship with Ford in general. Let's just say I am so happy to be out of my 2006 Mustang GT and into a 2012 Subaru WRX.

In all seriousness, if you want to know the corners Ford cut and what problems you may encounter, send me a PM because many of the issues still exist even though Ford tweaked the S197 platform. They aren't that bad or that expensive, but I can tell you what to look out for.

The first mods for your car that I would recommend would be to replace your rear lower control arms, rear upper control arm, and install a Fays2 Watts link. The next series of mods should be front k-member, a-arms, and strut mounts. That about covers all the weak points on the car where Ford cut corners to keep it at a lower price point and those mods will significantly improve handling. Only after addressing those issues should you consider a cold air intake and a tune since they assist in getting the power to the ground.

Word of caution on the cold air intake and tune. Ford sent out a TSB basically telling the dealership to look for signs of ECU access regarding warranty repairs. Basically, if they reasonably suspect that you tuned the car, you may have a fight regarding any warranty work if the engine pops or the transmission goes.

Sorry, went off on a tangent, and I hope I wasn't too negative...

No!! I really appreciate your insight...this is just my DD. Do you think those mods really be necessary? Do they void the warranty and how much?

I actually did think about getting a 87 tune because I heard it has many benefits but didn't want to void the warranty. At least for now, I don't feel the need to increase hp. My understanding is until the engine is properly broken, you'll get about 350ish hp (I forgot how much torque) and after 1-2k miles and with good gas, it'll reach its full potential. So far I have less than 400 miles...I can't imagine having 50+ more hp lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No!! I really appreciate your insight...this is just my DD. Do you think those mods really be necessary? Do they void the warranty and how much?
Necessary, no BUT as the factory parts fail over time when your warranty is up, I'd suggest replacing the flimsy factory pieces with the stronger and lighter aftermarket pieces that are available. The thing I like about the watts link is it was more predictable than the panhard bar when it came to re-centering the rear axle in turns and curves. I won't say it improved the ride though because there was a complete Ford Racing suspension that on the vehicle when I purchased it used in October 2007.

Speaking of Ford Racing, those are parts that you CAN have dealer installed on your car and NOT void your warranty. So that is something else to consider.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
i approve!! i want to get a new 5.0 to go with my 88 5.0 lol. Go Mustangs!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Nice car! I've rented the newer model Mustangs, and while it's not for me I can see where it would appeal to a lot of people.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
The dealerships that had the ones I was interested in were pretty much jerks so I decided to look at another brand.
You know the dealer doesn't come with the car, right? Most dealers aren't too fond of me by the time I get done haggling them. Sorry, but I just don't approve of this choice.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Cute.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Seems like a night and day difference in cars. Congrats dude

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know the dealer doesn't come with the car, right? Most dealers aren't too fond of me by the time I get done haggling them. Sorry, but I just don't approve of this choice.
I understand the dealership doesn't come with the car, but when dealers reply back saying "No thanks"...I don't really know where to go from there. When I started negotiating the price with the Mustang, I actually got a call from one of the Subaru dealership saying they received a WRX early. I told them I would think about it and call them back. They said and I quote, "No. No. We are not going to give you the option of doing that. All right?" and he hung up. So by then I was pretty "turned off" by that kind of dealerships (the ones that had WRXs). And plus I spent about 2-3 months researching and looking around and negotiating so I wasn't going to deal with "WRXs are rare and we are going to jack up the price just for the hell of it". Don't get me wrong, I was OBSESSED with Subaru. And I still like Subaru. I'm sorry you don't approve of this choice...

Rage-wrx,

my initial price range for a Subaru was 24k. Was willing to go 25k, but dealerships would not sell any lower than 27k (for base model) and all the other ones were premium model loaded with options so it was like 31k+. I got the stang for 26k (2 options:security system and rear censor. But ended up getting a car without the censor so they are giving around 600 back to us). Of course there was tax and title fees, but I feel good knowing that I am driving a 30k worth of a car and not having paid more than 30k, if not less.

Again, I'm NOT trying to start any flame wars. Subaru is great!!! But I just didn't necessarily need some of things Subaru could offer. If this thread becomes problem for many people then I will just delete it. :(

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Meh, no flame wars. I know a lot of people on here, myself included have a lot of respect for what Ford is doing right now. There are several Ford's I'd buy right now given the funds.

I'm sorry about your bad experience with the Subaru dealer. Thay aren't all that bad, I promise. ;)

All that being said, if you really wanted a Subaru, did you consider a private party sale, or was brand new part of your criteria?

Congrats! The Mustang will definitely be fun.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice Mustang, A friend of mine had at mid 90's GT back in the day, It was a real fun car. Good times...

I know what you are saying about dealers, I really wanted to get a VW GTI, and had similar dealer stories. It really turns you off of the whole brand. The Subaru dealer I went to was awesome though and couldn't be happier, $23,795 no haggling, btw. I still check out GTI's on the road and kind of wonder what could have been though.

Did they have any of the Boss 302's on the lot? I have not seen any in person but from what I have read in magazines they are awesome cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They said and I quote, "No. No. We are not going to give you the option of doing that. All right?" and he hung up. So by then I was pretty "turned off" by that kind of dealerships (the ones that had WRXs). And plus I spent about 2-3 months researching and looking around and negotiating so I wasn't going to deal with "WRXs are rare and we are going to jack up the price just for the hell of it". Don't get me wrong, I was OBSESSED with Subaru. And I still like Subaru. I'm sorry you don't approve of this choice...
that seems weird. i like to use dealers against one another so from the get go its "hey, just to let you know i want invoice or less, i know the game, and you won't make much off of me but the trade off is you wont get any hassle from me". if you order the car it seems that renders any claim about rarity null and void. i guess if you couldn't order the car that changes things but meh.

i've gone to a subaru dealership twice for test drives. once in 09 and then last month. the manager didn't like my description of the 09 WRX's handling as "boaty and dissapointing" but they were still pretty cool and the last one was very chill, best test drive i've ever had actually, and they haven't hounded me but im sure they'd work with me if i was playing ball right now.

there are bad dealers but its 70% how you look 20% how you say it and 10% what you say. being upfront and honest about not taking up their time goes a LONG way with a salesman, though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts