Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone converted their I/C spray so the button turns on the spray but does not actually spray until a specified rpm or throttle position?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it's kinda cool that it can be used whenever, gives you a chance to cool down the intercooler before you launch...

·
Registered
82 Posts
i saw a link on one of the forums for a switch you can swap in that makes it constant on/off instead of the momentary 2 seconds.

better perhaps but not as good as the idea you have of RPM/Speed controlled.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its adjustable from 100-9000rpm, I have it set 4600rpm, at that rpm I usually have to fill the resevoir once a week, Im using 50/50 water and 70% isopropyl alcohol(so basically 65/35 water/alcohol) I thought about a WOT switch, but unless I was drag racing, I am not going to be at WOT that often, this setup actually makes the sprayer useful on the street ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
You've got pics already, is there going to be a full install write-up at Scoobymods?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Invisiguard sweet set up! I had a thought while I was sleeping about hooking up the the RMP shift light on the STI. Istead of a shift light why not a water spray light. any thoughts on that idea.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Randman said:
I think it's kinda cool that it can be used whenever, gives you a chance to cool down the intercooler before you launch...
I have a manual intercooler sprayer on my '02 WRX and I'm keeping it manual for that reason. An automatic sprayer will use a lot more water when you dont neccessarily need it. My reservoir is only about 1 gallon.

I could easily switch the sprayer with the UTEC using RPM, boost, or the TPS. I'd rather be able to spray the IC before a high load situation. Manual override and auto functions may be the best of both worlds though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
carbonfiber_kid said:
Invisiguard sweet set up! I had a thought while I was sleeping about hooking up the the RMP shift light on the STI. Istead of a shift light why not a water spray light. any thoughts on that idea.
you mean have the shift light go off when the sprayer goes off??

·
Registered
223 Posts
VVVV said:
Invisiguard - you mentioned a WOT switch. Is such a thing available?
Its not something readily available, you would have to use a voltage switch set to go off with the TPS signal to the ECU, it reads from 0v full closed, to 5v WOT. If you get a voltage switch, you could set it to whatever throttle position you like. Or the easy way would just be to mount a switch somewhere behind the gas pedal to:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
JRod said:
I have a manual intercooler sprayer on my '02 WRX and I'm keeping it manual for that reason. An automatic sprayer will use a lot more water when you dont neccessarily need it. My reservoir is only about 1 gallon.

I could easily switch the sprayer with the UTEC using RPM, boost, or the TPS. I'd rather be able to spray the IC before a high load situation. Manual override and auto functions may be the best of both worlds though.
I can still use the switch, I basically just ran the RPM switch in-line with the power and ground, so at the set RPM the switch just creates another source of ground to complete the circuit, but the physical switch can still be used to close the circuit as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Invisiguard said:
I can still use the switch, I basically just ran the RPM switch in-line with the power and ground, so at the set RPM the switch just creates another source of ground to complete the circuit, but the physical switch can still be used to close the circuit as well.
So even if your RPM switch circuit is open you can close the whole circuit with the manual switch? That's pretty cool, true manual overide. I want to set mine up like that with the utec but I would think my manual switch would have to be closed at all times for the auto to work. I guess I would just have to wire in a bypass somehow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts