ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought some of meguires detail clay and let me say it worked friggin awsome. i never knew a car could look so shiny. (i also used some nxt wax...)

but, the clay was pretty hard. it felt like a starburst. is it suppose to be this hard? also it didnt seem to take off much dirty because i swear it didnt get dirty at all. is it just cleaning and i just dont know it?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
yeah they are usually this hard...did you rub the clay on until you stopped hearing the "sound" thats how you know its done in a specific area.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
its not like a sound its just a weird scratchy feeling that goes away as you clay the paint. you dont see much crap in the clay just a little bit!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Damn, ive never done that. I usually just use dishwashing soap before I wax.

How long does it take you to clay the entire car?

·
Registered
863 Posts
you should defintely hear and feel the clay bar working.

It's an audible scracthy sound and you can feel the resistance. You'll know you're done when it's smooth flowing.

Yes the clay bar should be relatively hard, but you should definitely see some grime build up as you use it. Maybe read the directions and try it again.

Did the paint feel noticeably smoother when you were done?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was told to go to shucks or kragen or whever they call themselves. they didnt have it. no one had it.

id try a detailing place or some kind of paint shop. i went to a paint restoration place and paid like 25 bucks
or online.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm sure you did it right. I did mine and it's an 04 so it didn't have a lot of build up to begin with. I didn't notice much scratching either....probably because it's so new. If it's shiney and smooth....you win!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used Mothers Clay Bar, which came in a Kit. THe Kit included claybar, quick detailer, and wax.

THe directions said to use the quick detailer as a lubricant for the claybar, spray on the area youre claybarring. Any of you guys do this? Or did you rub it on dry?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
chicago04wrx said:
I used Mothers Clay Bar, which came in a Kit. THe Kit included claybar, quick detailer, and wax.

THe directions said to use the quick detailer as a lubricant for the claybar, spray on the area youre claybarring. Any of you guys do this? Or did you rub it on dry?
I used the same kit and yes I used the quick detailer to lubricate it, which you have to do or else you're going to just smear clay all over the car :D

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
lube is always a guys best friend.

if your clay wasnt dirsty, you may not have had that dirsty of a car. clay is just going to take off crap like tar, bugs, etc. using it for just general rubdown you may not see alot of debris as most of that stuff is concentrated on the front and the lower panels where paint/tar will be kicked out.

just spray and rub. if you dont feel/hear andything you dont really need to use it.

stuffs great huh!?!?

i use claymagics clay and lube..can order online

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a question on this topic. I will be using clay for the first time real soon, do I have to dry the car after washing it before using the Clay?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I got a really fine blue Claymagic clay bar, but I am not sure if I really need to use it on a car that is only 6 weeks old from the factory (only on the dealer's lot for a couple days). I would like to remove old wax and apply a fresh layer, but what's everyone's advice? Should I bother for now?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts