Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little about me:
Hello,
My name is Justin, just turned 30 in January. I recently bought a wrecked 2008 STI and I'm going to rebuild it in my driveway and record as much of the process as I can. I've always wanted a Subaru ever since I played the game Gran Turismo 3 lol (18 years ago!:eek:). Sliding out of control while racing just blew my mind and the World Rally Blue! Then I heard the Subie rumble and it was hooked. My dream car was the 04-05 Blob Eye and I actually hated the new look of the 2008+ WRX/STIs. As I got older it grew on me and I started liking them and started saving up. I've never rebuilt a wrecked car before, but I've built a Long Travel Tacoma by myself or sometimes with help from friends in our driveways.

About the car:
It's pretty much all stock, runs and drives. I found a cob turbo heat shield and it has a Perrin downpipe with a full spt exhaust from the "cat" back. The Damage is Driver fender, hood, bent hood hinges, bumper, core support, crash bar, driver frame horn from about the timing belt forward, driver control arm, headlights, some crash sensors, radiator, a/c condenser bent holds pressure(freon to the face), driver timing cover is broken(pulleys/belts are good), air bags, locked front seat belts, a hand full of random stuff and a couple dents.

The Plan:
Rebuild it back to pass DMV then lift it a tiny bit, put some beefy tires on it to hit some fire trails and also daily drive it. I've been working on it on my days off about 4 days including buying tools and spending half a day driving to buy a front clip. It's pretty close to being done now. The only parts I need is Driver lower control arm(ordered), Hood hinges(ordered), front seat belts, airbag control module and a battery. The frame/core support is all tack welded, body panels, headlights are loosely on.

x64BH5u.jpg y5psVjy.jpg 9sZPIlB.jpg h4W2qYY.jpg 4CORnZG.jpg ovKF3V2.jpg KObv83r.jpg alSzFJT.jpg

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
Ouch. That will be a long road to making driveable. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! If you saw it now you would think that :D. Nothing is crumpled anymore just has silver panels from the donor car, but don't want to spoil the finish.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Thanks! If you saw it now you would think that :D. Nothing is crumpled anymore just has silver panels from the donor car, but don't want to spoil the finish.
Just some advice I've received from a guy who did this as a side business. Impacts from accidents can damage more than body pannels. Make sure the engine is well looked over.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just some advice I've received from a guy who did this as a side business. Impacts from accidents can damage more than body pannels. Make sure the engine is well looked over.
Will do! The only thing I noticed was broken timing cover from the radiator over flow tank hitting it. I'll double check and triple check though.
I took a pretty good look at everything and already swapped out part of the frame that was damaged.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Check where motor mounts are for damage to the block and if possible check all of your exhaust parts for any cracks. I doubt it will be an issue with the ej but it's worth looking

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check where motor mounts are for damage to the block and if possible check all of your exhaust parts for any cracks. I doubt it will be an issue with the ej but it's worth looking
Yeah sounds good man! I'll be working on the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) stuff tomorrow and my control arm and hinges still aren't here so I'll have plenty of time to poke around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're a much braver soul than I, ju5t1n. Best of luck with the overhaul!
Brave. stupid. lol we will see. I just got the hood latches and front driver lower control arm. Seatbelts and airbag control module is on the way to get rest. Last thing left to do is put everything on, build a temporary paint booth and paint!

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
It's a project.

As long as you know at the end of the day it may not work out no harm. I wouldn't view it stupid. It's not ideal, I understand the appeal of the vehicles and my personal opinion on them being worth restoring or repairing means nothing to anyone but myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a project.

As long as you know at the end of the day it may not work out no harm. I wouldn't view it stupid. It's not ideal, I understand the appeal of the vehicles and my personal opinion on them being worth restoring or repairing means nothing to anyone but myself.
:D Yeah I know, I really just want to see if I can actually rebuild a car and I really really wanted to build one.

·
Registered
66 Posts

You need to do a compression test for sure. That will tell you if you have an internal leaks, things you cant see without tearing it down. Good luck man, cant wait to see the final product. Really interested where you go with the suspension set up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts