ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would have to agree, I too am interested. I was actually looking in to trading my WRX in for a Veloster to lower my payments. But I decided against it. Still love the AWD.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
It is a handsome car on the road. Looks French actually, like something Renault would make. They have an off white that's maybe pearl that looks good. Don't know about build quality because I've not lolled into it though.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
That should read "looked" sorry.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
veloster is a great looking car. i'll have to test drive the turbo one when/if it comes out

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
I liked it at the autoshow, but I have to say it felt more comparable sizewise to my acura rather than a wrx, trick door notwithstanding.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I honestly love the Veloster turbo, and especially in that matte grey finish (which will be in production).

·
Æternum
20,597 Posts
Looks great, turbocharged 200hp, lightweight, and gets 35 mpg highway. You really can't lose at that price.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we went down to look at the standard version and the car is actually pretty decent sized, rear seat with front seat all back leaves great room for the sons legs.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
I saw one for the first time last week. Nice. :)

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I honestly love the Veloster turbo, and especially in that matte grey finish (which will be in production).
This...saw it at the Philly autoshow. Sharp looking car.

Direct injected turbo with 35mpgs? Yes please.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I wonder how well the Hyundai transmission holds up these days past 100k.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
FWD = deal breaker for me. I also don't need the extra room.

I wish they had made this instead (it was supposed to be 15K ten years ago with a 2.4l turbo)
dodge_razor.34072.jpg

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
The veloster is neat to look at, but I thought the interior was pretty awful, even by economy car standards. Lots of fancy electronics, but pretty nasty surfaces and fabrics. The rear seat was surprisingly spacious, although i didn't like having to slide across the solid cupholders planted in the middle of the bench.

After traveling around in Korea, the cars that impress me most are the Genesis Coupe and the Kia K5 (Optima in the US). The Genesis coupe has a plenty potent 274 hp turbo 4 with RWD and a six speed in basic trim, but there's also a 348 hp V6 starting at the R-spec trim for $28,750. All trims have Brembo brakes, good seats (although the interior still has lots of hard plastics...), and decent mileage (mid 20's even on the V6). On the freeway, the guy I was riding with really, REALLY opened it up, and he kept up a 150 mph pace through traffic on the tollroad into Seoul. Police could care less about speeding, and all nav systems warn you when speed cameras are coming up, so many drivers pretty much keep their foot buried if the traffic doesn't stop you. When traffic did slow down, those Brembos just about peeled my face off. While I'd never trade my WRX for one (totally different sort of car), I consider a Genesis over, say, a Nissan 370z (which costs around $10k more)...

The Optima Turbo has the turbo 4 from the Genesis, (FWD only, unfortunately), a much improved interior over the lower models, and good commuting manners around town with the legs to really fly when the freeway opens up.

The Santa Fe diesel gets an honorable mention only because I doubt it will come stateside, but that also was a comfortable, torquey, and remarkably spacious SUV that had no problems getting 30+ mpg.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FWD doesn't bother me, it isn't really a track star and civics don't handle terrible with the correct sway bars and suspension on fun roads/I-5. I was under the impression the car was a 4 door but found out when we got to the dealer it was a 3 door. Which for the kids is not really going to be an awesome choice. I may be taking a new job requiring many miles of traveling so this car in standard mode is now looking nice.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'd like the Genesis a lot more if the motor & cabin was pushed a bit further back.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
My buddy just bought a new optima turbo, it is a very nice car for what it is (a sub-30k "sporty" sedan)

The veloster, I agree that the backseat was roomier than expected as far as leg room goes, but it reminded me of the RSX backseat as far as headroom. As in, there wasn't really any.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
FWD doesn't bother me, it isn't really a track star and civics don't handle terrible with the correct sway bars and suspension on fun roads/I-5.
I was mostly thinking that 274 hp is an awful lot of power through the front wheels. The MS3 is legendary for its torque steer, and that has "only" 263 hp. Having not driven an Optima Turbo in person, I won't pass judgement as far as torque steer goes, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts