ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think all of the self isolation has begun to addle what little mind I have left. I'll get straight to it. I am starting to come around that somewhere around 400 horsepower is all that you need. I know what I've written and the stance I've had (there is no such thing as too much horsepower) in the past. Things have started to change, sort of.

I drive less (period). I drive my truck more than anything for the odd run to the pharmacy or to pick up something that I want to inspect (steaks or seafood for cooking). I still take my car out for its Sunday cruise or the occasional quick trip. Since I am driving the car less it has started to creep into my head, through the heavy bone plating, that having 650HP on tap requires a good deal of extra attention. Additionally, any 10-15 seconds of WOT puts you in some crazy speed land. I am actually coming back to believe that the Camaro SS was better for my life as it is now.

There is no doubt the 10L90 is a super transmission. It has blindingly fast shifts and is smarter on the track than I am. However, the TR6060 was butter smooth and engaging to drive. It allowed far more interaction with the car. I could actually row through two or three gears and not break the sound barrier. There were very, very few instances where the SS wouldn't provide all of the power needed.

The little 4 pot grocery getter has many of these same traits. It is easy to drive and the DCT can be placed into manual mode for a bit of play time (the 10L90 has this same feature). It trundles around and returns usable gas mileage. When needed, one can romp on the gas and fun follows. Two / three / four gear changes are great. While you may be in a yellow area as far as speed is concerned, you are likely not in the go directly to jail zone that the ZL1 puts you in, in 10 seconds.

I took the ZL1 out a couple / three times over the weekend. It is a truly wonderful car. However, now that I am not tracking or going to the strip, I don't get the extra bang out of it. It demands extra attention, each time. Is the oil up to temp? Are the tires warmed up? Even in the summer, resting the right foot and the floor can result in setting off smoke alarms in neighboring houses (no I am not that guy). It can invoke the crowd killer tuning usually found in Mustang GTs in the hands of 20 year olds. It will exceed any speed limit, except on the Autobahn, in 10 seconds.

I fully admit that cabin fever may have me in its grip. A 2,000 mile road trip would likely return things to normal setting. However, I could do that 2,000 mile road trip in something that doesn't produce 650HP.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Yeah, for the most part 400hp is a boat load. There are situations where you could need more but they are not situations most vehicles will ever see. They are limited to heavy towing with heavy vehicles.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, for the most part 400hp is a boat load. There are situations where you could need more but they are not situations most vehicles will ever see. They are limited to heavy towing with heavy vehicles.
Typically, torque is of more value than horsepower in a towing situation. That and a good towing platform. My Honda is rated at 5,000 pounds and that is by far the highest towing capacity of any vehicle we own. The torque monster ZL1 (650 pound feet) has a tow rating of zero (0).

·
2,564 Posts
That's why my MGA is so fun; 70 HP and 6" off the ground makes 60 MPH seem fast on back roads.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Typically, torque is of more value than horsepower in a towing situation. That and a good towing platform. My Honda is rated at 5,000 pounds and that is by far the highest towing capacity of any vehicle we own. The torque monster ZL1 (650 pound feet) has a tow rating of zero (0).
I'll bet it'll haul a metric boat load of ass.

Horsepower plays more of a role in towing than you'd think. Thats why Cummins is kinda lagging in the towing lately. Everyone else is pushing 450 and it's still under 370. So it will move a mountain with it's 1000ft/lbs but it won't do it fast.

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,400 Posts
With power comes maintenance. And with that comes baggage. At some point - it isn't really worth the baggage. (especially when we are not using the power.)

I have yet to find that point. But I will some day.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
With power comes maintenance. And with that comes baggage. At some point - it isn't really worth the baggage. (especially when we are not using the power.)

I think it comes along somewhere after the twin charging, removal of the hood to clear the blower and after you can no longer run pump fuel and you need alcohol or something that gives you a few gallons to the mile and has tires wider than a commuter car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

The good part of this car is that maintenance is rather normal. The Supercar 3s are OK for daily driving. Care should be taken in the wet (really??? with 650HP you should respect wet roads ?!). They return around 11,000-12,000 miles of wear (don't engage line lock or track rat the thing) per set. ~$1,200 puts four on the car. Oil is kinda expensive (~$10 per quart at Amazon) and you need 10 quarts. So an oil change can set you back $150-$200 if you have a speed shop do it (I don't have a lift and it is good to walk under the car and check out everything). The brakes and rotors are in the normal range of costs at around $250 per corner for hats, rotors and pads. ~$1,500 installed. Rear diff fluid change is ~$125. Transmission service is ~$300 (10L90). The engine / drive train is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles as long as it is stock. This includes track use.

Our Jaguars and our current AMG have higher costs. OK the AMG is nuts ($1,800 for three yearly services, paid in advance).

All that stated, my real issue is that I just cannot enjoy the car. We don't have enough good back roads to blast along. If, I lived in North Carolina, Arkansas, southern Missouri or some place out West, it would be a bit more manageable. That said, in these places, the Camaro SS gives you all the thrill that one needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts