Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered User
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is revision 2 of the Hyperflow/TurboXS top mount. The unit appears to be of very high quality. I believe this version introduced revised end tanks to address clearance concerns. The bypass valve mount was also revised to enable it to accept an aftermarket blow-off valve. Looking at the end tanks closely both inside and out, you can see that some careful thought went into the design of this unit. It also looks like there would be plenty of clearance to fit a strut brace with this setup.

This top mount is big. TurboXS claim it is at least as big as any other on the market and it boasts well over two times the core volume of the stock unit. Once the unit is located in position, you can clearly see that it would be a physical impossibility to fit a larger top mount in the stock location. In contrast to the stock intercooler, this TMIC is of bar-plate construction and hence should offer a much lower pressure drop as TurboXS indeed claim to be the case. I did not have an opportunity to weigh the intercooler, but I would have guess that it is at least twice the weight of the stock unit. Unlike some top mounts, this one includes the necessary cast Y-piece and silicone hose to attach to the turbo compressor outlet. One of the elbows from the OEM unit is reused in this setup.

Installation was tricky, but not terribly difficult. On my vehicle this is slightly complicated by the presence of the fogger nozzle in the throttle body hose. As with the stock top mount, I notched the outlet flange with a dremel to provide clearance for the fogger nozzle. The most difficult part is locating the Y-hose onto the compressor outlet. It makes installation of the stock TMIC trivial in comparison. The sheer size and weight of the Hyperflow unit make it difficult to maneuver around or to reach in and locate the compressor hose by hand.

After fitment, the performance gain was immediately noticeable which did surprise me. The turbo feels as though it 'breathes' much easier - it hits harder and holds boost longer up top - and UTec logging confirms that my VF22 is spooling to 1.3bar about 250RPMs sooner. I had thought that the massively increased volume would add a little lag, but apparently this is more than offset by the extremely low pressure drop across this intercooler. At least this is the case at the boost levels I am running. My UTec map is tuned on the rich side, and the intercooler has only caused one region to go lean to the point of knock. I will address this over the next few days with a little tweaking of my fuel map. I am very confident that this top mount will allow me to efficiently reach my somewhat conservative horsepower goals of around 400HP crank (no nitrous) once I have a different turbocharger in place and with appropriate supporting mods.

Todo: I need to get hold of an STi scoop. I am also going to fab up my own splitter at some point. I installed some 'chicken wire' across the hood opening to protect the IC from Colorado's notorious stone-littered roads.

If I had to complain about something or provide feedback to TurboXS, I guess it would be on the following minor points:

- The supplied crankcase breather hose was about 6" short, even when routing it as directly as possible. Why scrimp on a $3 component?
- The mounting holes for the bypass valve are tapped about 5mm too shallow for the stock bolts. I had to trim down the bolts.
- It would be nice if replacement gaskets were supplied, instead of requiring that the stockers be reused. I was very careful, but still managed to destroy the bypass valve gasket and had to use blue RTV instead.

:)

-Pace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Nice review, this just complicates my intercooler quest even further. I'm still leaning towards the TXS top mount for simplicity and stealth. Plus with a VF 34 I dont think a need a huge core volume the FMIC offers.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JRod said:
Nice review, this just complicates my intercooler quest even further. I'm still leaning towards the TXS top mount for simplicity and stealth. Plus with a VF 34 I dont think a need a huge core volume the FMIC offers.
My personal opinion is that a FMIC is unecessary for most applications unless you are building for massive horsepower levels and heatsoak situations are a major concern (drag strip, dyno). Other people such as Dan @Godspeed swear by front-mounts, and I certainly respect his opinion on this topic.

The quickest WRXs at our local dragstrip are running top mounts. The guys with front mounts have traditionally run slower E/Ts with higher traps. Combined with huge turbos, such setups equate to big, big lag, and vehicles that are only effective at the end of the quarter mile. How many front mounts do you know that will cut your spoolup by 250RPMs?

Really, you have to decide if you goal is ultimate cooling potential, or absolute minimal restriction. Due to the environment in which I drive and my particular needs, the latter was of paramount concern.

-Pace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Well I think you have me sold on top mounts. Now, I just got to find a deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
pace said:
My personal opinion is that a FMIC is unecessary for most applications unless you are building for massive horsepower levels and heatsoak situations are a major concern (drag strip, dyno). Other people such as Dan @Godspeed swear by front-mounts, and I certainly respect his opinion on this topic.

The quickest WRXs at our local dragstrip are running top mounts. The guys with front mounts have traditionally run lower E/Ts with higher traps. Combined with huge turbos, such setups equate to big, big lag, and vehicles that are only effective at the end of the quarter mile. How many front mounts do you know that will cut your spoolup by 250RPMs?

Really, you have to decide if you goal is ultimate cooling potential, or absolute minimal restriction. Due to the environment in which I drive and my particular needs, the latter was of paramount concern.

-Pace
And I just sold my TXS TMIC in hopes of buying a FMIC only to find out that most ppl agree with Pace. FMIC are not needed unless you are running massive hp levels or road/strip use. So now I am dumbfouned on what to do. Repurchase a tmic which I already lost money on by selling or go for a fmic which with a VF30 will probably be massive overkill and mucho lag. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Having installed the original TMIC in a wagon, it basically doesn't fit. The back of the IC rubs the AC lines and the front end tank rubs the hood scoop bolts. Also V.2 is 4lbs. lighter and looks a whole hell of a lot better than the original cast tanks!

-Jim

p.s. Cute cat. ;) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Pace,
I'll hold onto the scoop that I don't need for ya. Let me know when you want it.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WRX-Hellfire said:
And I just sold my TXS TMIC in hopes of buying a FMIC only to find out that most ppl agree with Pace. FMIC are not needed unless you are running massive hp levels or road/strip use. So now I am dumbfouned on what to do. Repurchase a tmic which I already lost money on by selling or go for a fmic which with a VF30 will probably be massive overkill and mucho lag. :confused:
Actually there are many people who firmly believe that an FMIC is the better solution. My take is that at the ouput levels most of us are aiming for, there is little empirical evidence to suggest that the FMIC is a superior solution. YMMV.

If you sold your rev 1. TMIC, you could always pick up the new unit. Or go ahead and give a front mount a try now anyway..

phast said:
Pace,
I'll hold onto the scoop that I don't need for ya. Let me know when you want it.
Ok... let me figure out a way to take it off your hands and stay under 'the financial radar'. ;)

-Pace
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
Having installed the original TMIC in a wagon, it basically doesn't fit. The back of the IC rubs the AC lines and the front end tank rubs the hood scoop bolts. Also V.2 is 4lbs. lighter and looks a whole hell of a lot better than the original cast tanks!

-Jim

p.s. Cute cat. ;) :D
Thats pretty much consistent with what davidm_sh said, as he has the rev 1. unit. My install apparently went much smoother, and while I haven't seen the other unit in person, this one is pretty much a work of art.

I didn't even realize she had snuck into the picture until you pointed it out. That's ok, the other cat spent all evening inside the box that it arived in. They both apparently approve.

-Pace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
pace said:
Thats pretty much consistent with what davidm_sh said, as he has the rev 1. unit. My install apparently went much smoother, and while I haven't seen the other unit in person, this one is pretty much a work of art.

I didn't even realize she had snuck into the picture until you pointed it out. That's ok, the other cat spent all evening inside the box that it arived in. They both apparently approve.

-Pace
I didnt have any fitment issues with the rev 1 other than putting heater hose over 1 ac line. The rest of it was fine except the very small space one has to put the ic hose onto the turbo :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
That's a little small, don't you think? :p I love this thing. I also share Pace's opinion on TMIC. When it comes time for it, I'll be getting this very IC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Pace,

Thanks for the detailed write-up! Very informative. I'm also surprised you felt an instant power increase and quicker spool. These cars never cease to confuse me. :D

Can't wait to see what you do at the strip with your new mods! :D
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
1,911 Posts
WRX-Hellfire said:
So now I am dumbfouned on what to do. Repurchase a tmic which I already lost money on by selling or go for a fmic which with a VF30 will probably be massive overkill and mucho lag. :confused:
Actually depends. Lag is not affected by FMIC here at sea level. It appears that Pace is seeing some differences in behavior at elevated altitutudes. If you're at sea level or close, FMIC is by FAR what all the fastest guys are running. Obviously that story changes quickly up in the mountains so I don't think you necessarily made a mistake at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
God said:
Actually depends. Lag is not affected by FMIC here at sea level. It appears that Pace is seeing some differences in behavior at elevated altitutudes. If you're at sea level or close, FMIC is by FAR what all the fastest guys are running. Obviously that story changes quickly up in the mountains so I don't think you necessarily made a mistake at all.
I am at sea level. Do you think the VF30 is too small for a fmic or will it work for now until I get a larger turbo put in?
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Top