Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who knows about this? i was talking to my tuner and he told me that i should replace the hot vf 34 turbine housing for a vf 22 one , he claims its bigger and the turbo will become more efficient , im thinking on doing this but has anybody done this what are the pro's con's etc , will it help me on my quest of more power on the vf34 more boost etc ....?????

·
Registered
117 Posts
with my basic understanding of turbo, here is what I'm thinking, and with not knowing about the differences in the housing sizes (turbine and compressor):

larger turbine will give you more lag, but can provide more top end flow. This will spin the compressor wheel faster, however, given the smaller vf34 compressor housing, this will make the air hotter. Also the bearing designs are different...I don't know how that plays into the housing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
koki said:
who knows about this? i was talking to my tuner and he told me that i should replace the hot vf 34 turbine housing for a vf 22 one , he claims its bigger and the turbo will become more efficient , im thinking on doing this but has anybody done this what are the pro's con's etc , will it help me on my quest of more power on the vf34 more boost etc ....?????

You can't just swap the housings without doing quite a bit of machine work. The VF34 center section doesn't mate up to the IHI P20 exhaust housing that is used in the VF22. This was one of the first things I tried when I got my hands on both turbochargers.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could you be more specific , did you do it ?did it help you in any way? what kind of modification is needed?

·
Registered
206 Posts
*i Understand This Thread Is 3 Years Old To Date**

Was doing some searching and thought id add to this old thread....

Ive been researching this as well all day, and i this is a very very good thing to do...check these links i dug up on NASIOC. I think those looking to up the ante and bring your vf34 over the 3 mark -- this sounds like a very nice bb turbo setup with the right tune.

fitment:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1011777&highlight=vf34+p20

a hybrid in action:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1123845

Did a bit of searching here, anybody running it yet? if not sell me a p20 housing or ill get one somewhere...i want to do her, i mean it! :screwy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts