ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup my people's! Sorry it's been awhile so I have another question, so since in paranoid and had severely painful tranny experiences in the past. I want to know if I can do just a first and second gear upgrade, like ra first and second and stock 3-5? I'm asking this because I can't seem to find anyone that can sell the ra gears separate? :wiggles: :ugh:

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Are you looking for different ratios or additional strength? RA gearset is more of a ratio upgrade than strength.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
1st, 2nd, and reverse are all part of the main shaft, so you would just be replacing that. And like EJ said, RA gears aren't really much stronger, just much shorter. If you want stronger gears go with Albins, PPG, or just do a 6-speed swap.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well the gears u sold me are great I just wanted to reinforce 1st and 2nd to ease my worries I was hoping to avoid the 5000 dollar six speed swap. Since I've already invested so much already

·
Æternum
20,595 Posts
Are you looking for different ratios or additional strength? RA gearset is more of a ratio upgrade than strength.
Ironically, the shorter ratios of the RA gearset makes the gearset more durable :tongue:

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Everyone is forgetting about the legacy GT gears. They're stronger than those RA gears. And there are quite a few of the bugeye and blobeye owners that have done LGT 1,2, and WRX 3,4,5.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Everyone is forgetting about the legacy GT gears. They're stronger than those RA gears. And there are quite a few of the bugeye and blobeye owners that have done LGT 1,2, and WRX 3,4,5.

That's basically what I'm running. Mine are the JDM STi 5MT gears that have been cryo treated, but when I checked the part number before installing it turned out to be the same part number for USDM LGT gears.

Of course now I'm in the middle of project "murder transmission".. so I'll be in the market for helical PPGs and stronger front and rear diffs soon.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
hope 3rd doesn't go with the new turbo. Any news on that btw? (PM me...)

/thread jack

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok where can I get those gears, also I haven't forgot about the exhaust Kevin if u still have it me and the wife probably had a lil to much fun in Dubai lol. So I shorta didn't have the funds last month

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Ok where can I get those gears, also I haven't forgot about the exhaust Kevin if u still have it me and the wife probably had a lil to much fun in Dubai lol. So I shorta didn't have the funds last month
Dubai? That place looks awesome, I would love to go there someday!

·
Æternum
20,595 Posts
When were you in U.A.E.? I was just there last month!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok cool I will check I was there from 24 dec to 27 dec I'm still working this contract in kuwait so my wife came out here for two weeks and spent Xmas there we stayed at the radisson blu at the creek it was awesome I go home on vacation in 5 weeks so I'll visit the Subaru dealership then and see what I can work out.

·
Æternum
20,595 Posts
Wild. I was there at the same time as you (December 21 - January 2). Ha.

·
Æternum
20,595 Posts
That is crazy why do u go.
Fiance's parent's live there and work as expats. Went over there fore the holiday season. I spent most of my time in Abu Dhabi though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts