ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a new turbo on my wrx. I've got a couple tutorials on the project. Here is my hang up... The turbo came off fine, but I can not, for the life of me, hook up the oil return line. I can't. Those tiny spring clamps, the tight spaces...ARRG!!! The only thing they say in the tut. is: 'lower the turbo onto the UP bolts, and connect the oil return line.'

I've been at it all day my knuckles are bloody, I got coolant on my arms and now I have a rash. It's like 80-90 degrees and I'm sweating buckets. And this oil return line thing is making me want to find a bridge and throw myself off it.

I've quit for the day, and I'll start fresh tomorrow. But I wanna cry like a baby... goddam this is frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas, tips, prayers for me????:(

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,983 Posts
Have someone hold the turbo for you from the top, or suspend it from something if you are alone. Then try and get the line on by either wiggling your hands around the whole deal from the top, or snaking around underneath or something.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The best way....and I found this out doing what you did last night...is to take the hose off the engine and firmly attach it to the turbo before you put the turbo on the uppipe. Get some oil and rub around the nipple where the return line connects to the engine. Lower the turbo onto the uppipe and at the same time slip the hose onto the nipple, then go under the car and get tweezers and put the clamp back on. Ths literally took me 5 minutes after i spent an hour trying to get it on all other ways.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't get my hands inbetween the cv shafts and the chassis brace enough to get at it with needle nose pliars. I also can't just lower the turbo onto the UP, because I have to slip the intake tube over the comp. housing...

I'll try those things though, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Slip the intake tube on last, just push it up and out of the way. The easiest way to get to the clamp with pliers once the return hose is back on the nipple is around the control arms. Just stick your arm all the way in. Im not skinny by any means and my 18 inch arms easily fit. When you figure out what i mean youll see. Good luck with it...

Brandon

·
Registered
397 Posts
I feel your pain. What I did was take a worm drive hose clamp, and attach the line to the turbo. I moved it as far down on the turbo as I could (it was on about an inch) and clamped it as tight as humanly possible. I put that crappy spring clamp on the middle of the hose and just wiggled the turbo until I got it on. then I went underneath the car and used a pair of very long needlenose pliers to move the spring clamp into place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMFG, finally. 3 guys, and more long metal things than seen in a torture chamber. Thanks for the help guys. I have a new respect for anyone who has ever done any type of turbo install on a rex. This is something I will never try again though.... good lord.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go to Turboxs.com then click the 'FAQ' link at the bottom, they should have guides to install the turbo and injectors. Also check scoobymods.com for guides.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Glad you finally got it on there...I've used this method twice with good results: Attach the hose to the turbo first, like someone said above and have a friend lower it down. Then I took a coat hanger and looped the hook part around the hose so I could guide it on the return line from underneath.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Getting this host back on was tough for me, too! I was working alone, and was finally able to get my skinny arms around the turbo and uppipe, and to the spot where the hose goes back on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RayfieldsWRX said:
Getting this host back on was tough for me, too! I was working alone, and was finally able to get my skinny arms around the turbo and uppipe, and to the spot where the hose goes back on.
I was by my lonesome for the first 2 days, without success. So many cuts on the hands, and I strained my back in ways it never thought it could go trying to reach around things. The turbo install was more frustrating than trying to get to second base with that square chick in high school.

It's over, it's over, god almighty it's finally over!!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Oneliner said:
I was by my lonesome for the first 2 days, without success. So many cuts on the hands, and I strained my back in ways it never thought it could go trying to reach around things.
I cut my hands up in a big way, too! Also, I'm in my late 30's, and I can't hold some of the contortionist car mechanic positions for that long without paying a price later.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts