Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
A bunch of us NW members going to have dinner with Mike from SPD Tuning, and he's bringing one of these FMICs with him to show us. I'll post my thoughts on it after dinner tonight :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good goggly-moogly!:) That thing is HUGE!

ok, just had to get that off my chest. Definitely give us your impressions on it, Armin(a). ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I guess they dropped the price on the smaller FMIC kit and the new MONSTER has taken the old price point. I saw mention of $1475 for the kit. I think you still need to get APS Cold Air kit (or so they say) which is like another $280+

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Welp, he didn't bring the FMIC, but he DID bring a gigantic new APS TMIC...the thing was huge, and damn heavy. The Y-pipe is completely stainless steel and extremely smooth. Overall, I was pretty much like :eek: the whole time. SPD will be taking over as the official distributor of APS parts and packages.

I learned a lot tonight about Mike's tuning philosophy. He really knows his stuff. I'd recommend anyone to go check out his website and read what he has to say at http://www.spdusa.com/

·
Registered
40 Posts
phast said:
I guess they dropped the price on the smaller FMIC kit and the new MONSTER has taken the old price point. I saw mention of $1475 for the kit. I think you still need to get APS Cold Air kit (or so they say) which is like another $280+
Where did you find pices?, and do you know when it will be available? :D The price that you quoted....is that for the D/R 500? (smaller one)

thanks

-freddie

·
Registered
202 Posts
the only thing I would question is how in hell does the full face of that IC sit in the airflow? if any portion of it is behind the bumper cover and not in the airflow then it really loses a lot of its effectiveness. Your only going to get maximum efficiency out of an IC if you can get direct airflow to the full face of its core. seems to me that some of that huge surface area must be completely out of the airflow hiding behind the bumper cover..hope I am wrong!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, you could look at it this way.....

Even if it is not FULLY usefull...because a LITTLE bit is covered by the bumper.....it is still bigger and has more to be used, than the other FMIC's.

The other FMIC's that I have seen, don't have the IC fins that fit the exact size of the opening....the are a few inches SHORT on each side....So it seems to me that the APS FMIC would be more usefull....plus as shown on their web site, the leftover air (non direct) is still being used... get it?

-freddie

·
Registered
432 Posts
Anyone have turbo flow requirements for these huge intercoolers. My guess is that the core volume would be overkill unless a large turbo (PE 1820, garrett 20g, etc) is being used.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are available now, I was at fi-systems last week and they had about 6 of them there ready to ship out. You can get them from your regional aps distributor. Mine is fi-systems.com but they are sold out right now.

The intercooler does not sit behind the bumper cover since you take the bumper cover out and it fills up the entire space.

The d/r 500 is $1355 and some of its specs are available on aps's website if you want more email them.

Alex

·
Registered
202 Posts
JRod said:
Anyone have turbo flow requirements for these huge intercoolers. My guess is that the core volume would be overkill unless a large turbo (PE 1820, garrett 20g, etc) is being used.
I think that would be a correct assumption. that much volume is going to be complete overkill for any of the IHI VF series turbos. But for the power hungry guys running 400+hp turbos it would seem to be a great choice. Personally I wouldnt switch to a fmic unless I was putting at least 400 to the ground or building a purpose built race car. The big tmic does the job superbly for me and heat soak is a non-issue..I have everything from the heads back to the mid pipe thermo-tec wrapped and turbo heatshield in place so my under hood temps are very low.

·
Registered
40 Posts
afpdl said:
They are available now, I was at fi-systems last week and they had about 6 of them there ready to ship out. You can get them from your regional aps distributor. Mine is fi-systems.com but they are sold out right now.

The intercooler does not sit behind the bumper cover since you take the bumper cover out and it fills up the entire space.

The d/r 500 is $1355 and some of its specs are available on aps's website if you want more email them.

Alex
Huh? I was just told by a distributor, that they won't be available til April!:confused: R U Sure?....(hoping you are correct, so I can get one NOW!!!! :D )

-freddie

·
Registered
40 Posts
afpdl said:

Alex,

The bumper cover is the part with the paint on it!! So, if that was to be removed....we would be driving without bumpers.....

I am hoping you miss typed this! ;)

-freddie

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
That is a very nice design they have. No annoying hacking to be done to the front is a definate bonus. Does anyone know someone running one of these? What were the performance increases?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I meant the black thing under the bumper you do have to trim away some of the inside of the bumper though. The intercooler fits so that only the fins are in theopen air andthe endtanks are behind the bumper but still get airflow. Or you could just drive around with no bumper like inthe website.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Original1WRX2NV said:
Alex,

The bumper cover is the part with the paint on it!! So, if that was to be removed....we would be driving without bumpers.....

I am hoping you miss typed this! ;)

-freddie
Hehehe.....you remove the middle part of the bumper (grill?) as shown in the picture. Here is what they said:

"APS has now upped the ante with the release of the D/R Series front mount intercooler system specifically designed for daily driven, high horsepower MY01/MY02 Subaru WRX and STI vehicles. Unlike other systems that require cutting of structural components at the front of the vehicle, APS has designed the D/R Series FMIC with a truly bolt-on replacement unit that not only maintains the structural integrity of the vehicle, but also forms the perfect mount to accommodate the FMIC itself."

1 - 20 of 51 Posts