ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of installing an hta68 and process west tmic on a 2010 WRX in search of 310whp and 357wtq. I’m currently at 260/297 on E85 with a conservative, close to stock boost level. The engine components are stock except for the downpipe and injectors. I realize that some folks are passing those numbers with the stock vf52, but at over 6000’ I was told the hta68 would be the better choice. Opinions, advice, financial assistance :D

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
I wouldn't run that turbo on a 2.5L

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Go for it. I have a HTA68 and ran it out of the efficiency range.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm no expert on the turbo so I'll leave that to others.

What braking and suspension mods are you planning to support the increase in power?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Stawgn10 said:
How come?
Small compressor housing
Tiny hotside
Compressor wheel is too big for said housing / hotside
Just mismatched in general.

You already have a VF52. If you want to upgrade turbos, you shouldn't bother with anything below a 20G. Blouch offers one:
Subaru Legacy GT 440XT Turbocharger

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Small compressor housing
Tiny hotside
Compressor wheel is too big for said housing / hotside
Just mismatched in general.

You already have a VF52. If you want to upgrade turbos, you shouldn't bother with anything below a 20G. Blouch offers one:
Subaru Legacy GT 440XT Turbocharger
What he speaks is mostly true. However, even if you do decide to get the HTA68, you're going to see substantial gains across the power band. Ther eare other options you can get after you buy the turbo like a larger hotside. However when you get into doing stuff like that you're probably better off just getting a slightly larger turbo like EJ257 was saying. Plus FPs fit a bit weird.

·
Æternum
20,919 Posts
Subaru WRX/STi 20G-XT Turbocharger

This looks like the one! If only I had a stronger trans and bigger injectors...lol.
I live about an hour and twenty minutes away from these guys...been to the shop once before.
That won't work Chris. The 2010 uses the Legacy GT-style intake. Matthew posted a link to the Blouch GT440XT -- that's essentially the equivalent to a 20G.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What braking and suspension mods are you planning to support the increase in power?
I was thinking of the hawk hps pads and better brake fluid, not sure if I want to change out the rotors or add braided steel lines. However, any advice will be considered.
24mm sway bars and maybe some chassis bracing to reduce some body roll.
I don't rally or race the car, if it goes over a 100 it was probably on accident. My main reason for the hp/tq goal is just because it makes me smile when I use it and I want to quickly get around cars on passes when going skiing. Even when passing on long straightaways I am at less than 100 when dry and a whole lot less when icy, but I do like driving on ice and snow :).

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I was thinking of the hawk hps pads and better brake fluid, not sure if I want to change out the rotors or add braided steel lines. However, any advice will be considered.
24mm sway bars and maybe some chassis bracing to reduce some body roll.
I don't rally or race the car, if it goes over a 100 it was probably on accident. My main reason for the hp/tq goal is just because it makes me smile when I use it and I want to quickly get around cars on passes when going skiing. Even when passing on long straightaways I am at less than 100 when dry and a whole lot less when icy, but I do like driving on ice and snow :).
Hey everyone definitely wants some bragging numbers...we're in it for the enthusiasm! :)

Definitely throw some SS lines in with the brakes and maybe even a master cylinder brace to go with the improved pads and brake fluid. This will help increase pedal feel and reduce flex in the system. Rotors, you don't have to worry about unless it's time to replace for maintenance. Otherwise your rotors should suffice for now.

Sways sound good as well. Do the endlinks to go with the sways as they will only benefit each other. Might also be a great time to look into suspension bushings. Upgrading to urethane bushings is a simpler and cheaper great bang for the buck mod that will really help with sways and endlinks too.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What he speaks is mostly true. However, even if you do decide to get the HTA68, you're going to see substantial gains across the power band. Ther eare other options you can get after you buy the turbo like a larger hotside. However when you get into doing stuff like that you're probably better off just getting a slightly larger turbo like EJ257 was saying. Plus FPs fit a bit weird.
Is 8mm too small for the hotside on the hta68? I guess my question is which will be more efficient so that the temperatures will stay down and maintain boost at altitudes of over 6000' or is that not a good question? :redface:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey everyone definitely wants some bragging numbers...we're in it for the enthusiasm! :)
No bragging, just like playing with the car when merging and passing. Bragging just leads to people asking to drive the car :nono:

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Stawgn10 said:
Is 8mm too small for the hotside on the hta68? I guess my question is which will be more efficient so that the temperatures will stay down and maintain boost at altitudes of over 6000' or is that not a good question? :redface:
8cm hotside is better, but you still face the tiny compressor housing with an oversized compressor wheel.

Regardless of hotside (I believe you can get a 7 and possibly an 8 from FP, and I know there have been people who've mated a 10 to it), it's not a good match for the 2.5L motor.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
8cm hotside is better, but you still face the tiny compressor housing with an oversized compressor wheel.

Regardless of hotside (I believe you can get a 7 and possibly an 8 from FP, and I know there have been people who've mated a 10 to it), it's not a good match for the 2.5L motor.
Ok, so I'll ask the tuner about a Blouch GT440XT instead of the hta68. Thanks, gives me some discussion material when I go back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts