Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2021 WRX Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part I really like my WRX Limited. While the Infotainment System really sucks what really matters to me is the driving experience. But the one driving dynamic most in need of help is braking. Soft pedal, long travel, not much initial bite among other things. My previous daily driver was a 2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium whose brakes were a bit better than the WRX but not by a lot. I spoke with the Hawk Brakes folks at a race in Michigan and the recommended a switch to their black Talon rotors and their Street Performance ceramic pads. They were right, it was a noticeable difference. I have no interest in bringing my WRX to track days. (I own two real race cars for that purpose should I desire) but I want the brakes to talk to me just like the WRX handling does, BUT, I can't get a comparable set that I got for the Mustang.

Here is the problem. I have the WRX Limited with Eyesight. Frankly I would not own a new car without stuff like automatic braking so its got to stay. I looked for pads and all the ones with good reputations say “exc Eyesight” I struggled to find a reason for this condition, was it because Eyesight needed softer pads to make subtle brake changes? What was it. I wrote to the Tire Rack who told me that Eyesight uses a special rotor and pad and there is not enough demand for a HP replacement. OK I guess but I kept looking and found “better than stock” replacement from Centric but the reviews were not steller as in “not good”. Forget that then.

Now here is my question. Has anyone here run track/street type pads on just the front. I’ve asked our multi time race series champion the same question. When he was a driving instructor at Nashville Speedway he would put race pads on the front of his Miata and he said it moved brake bias way to front but there were no other ill effects. When he got home the street pads went bake in.

Extreme front bias would not be cool in rain but he thought WRX’s were different from his Miata.

Anyone tried this stuff? Seen any magic product?

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,750 Posts
Ive used centric rotors for a while, what issue could people possibly be having.

Also, because eyesight uses a combination of rpm, throttle input, wheel speed, and abs modulation the pads can't possibly matter

· Registered
124 Posts
i have akebono ceramic pads they work great. ceramics make lest dust and noise than semi-metallic, but semi-metallic have better stopping from what i understand.
but either one or gimongous rotors dont matter, when you hit the point of brake lockup, and abs kicks in, it dont matter what the pads/rotors are. at that point stopping distance is dictated by your tires

other than pads, not much you can do i would not waste money on fancy rotors with cool engravings. coating is nice to prevent rust, but guard your money.

if you want to go the route of putting sti brembos on, it is expensive. even your wrx wheels likely wont clear the calipers.

you shouldnt have soft pedal though, that sounds sketch. maybe got some old brake fluid or air up in the system somewhere? are the calipers extremely rusty maybe somethin goin on with the pistons? if you are getting shudder or something the rotors could have high runout / warpage.
but you shouldnt have soft pedal

· Registered
2021 WRX Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My WRX only has 12K miles right now so I was hoping just to use the stock rotors. I was looking at the 105 series Centric pads and perhaps my searches were not great but I found a lot of negative reviews but they were no limited to only WRX. I agree with @XJman that the pads shouldn't matter vis a vis Eyesight, but TireRack said the pads were physically different. I'm taking that claim on faith. I was thinking of just using Hawk HDS on just the front. Anyone ever try such a combo? I'm thinking of going with SS brake lines to firm up the pedal.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,750 Posts
My WRX only has 12K miles right now so I was hoping just to use the stock rotors. I was looking at the 105 series Centric pads and perhaps my searches were not great but I found a lot of negative reviews but they were no limited to only WRX. I agree with @XJman that the pads shouldn't matter vis a vis Eyesight, but TireRack said the pads were physically different. I'm taking that claim on faith. I was thinking of just using Hawk HDS on just the front. Anyone ever try such a combo? I'm thinking of going with SS brake lines to firm up the pedal.
Call the dealership and ask.

SS lines are awesome. They will make any pad feel great.

· Registered
2021 WRX
809 Posts
Now here is my question. Has anyone here run track/street type pads on just the front. I’ve asked our multi time race series champion the same question. When he was a driving instructor at Nashville Speedway he would put race pads on the front of his Miata and he said it moved brake bias way to front but there were no other ill effects. When he got home the street pads went bake in.

Extreme front bias would not be cool in rain but he thought WRX’s were different from his Miata.

Anyone tried this stuff? Seen any magic product?
I've got brembos with track/street pads upfront and stock sliders with oe pads on rear. That's quite a bit more front biased than just pads. It's perfectly fine even in gulf coast hurricanes as long as you are paying attention.

Near-lockup braking on any surface makes the back end slightly squirelly so some steering input is needed. Braking on wet off-camber turns above 80 will give you a bit of understeer but still controllable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts