ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I here everywhere that older WRX gearbox are quit weak. E.G. 2001 wrx...

How weak are they really??:confused:

Is it really bad for them to take of fast by dropping the clutch (not at to high revs, just enough to take of a bit quickly):confused::confused:

What are some things you can do to protect them?

·
Registered
344 Posts
the tranny isn't strong by any means, but it also isn't a glass box. The syncros aren't the greatest so make sure that from gear to gear you're not forcing it and that you never dump the clutch unless you know your tires will soon be spinning after you release. Because if they're not spinning and you snapped the clutch then bye bye tranny most likely assuming a launch was being attempted. Now if you just want to take off a little faster that is fine. I abuse my car daily as far as getting the rev's above 5K it is just that you need to be sure to never force the tranny to do what it doesn't want to and try to slip the clutch when you're launching while getting off it as fast as possible to avoid burning your clutch out. Atleast that is what I do with my 02wrx with 124,000K on the stock tranny, but it is also on stock power level... :barf:

sorry for the rambling

·
Registered
179 Posts
Treat the tranny good and it will be good to you. If you drive it like you are Johnny Tran of the Triad street racing gang then you mine as well start saving for a 6 speed or a set of PPg's. (That was a fast and furious reference for those who don't know) My02 has seen multiple times down the strip and many days of spirited driving and i have 80k on the clock. Its all how you treat it.

-Aaron

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1 to sweetmon and denhem, treat it well, dont force it to do something it doesnt want to do. One thing ive done is upgraded my gear oil, it wont make any big protective difference other than helping with general wear and tear. I have NEO gear oil in mine, expensive stuff(i believe, dont quote, but its what most WRC teams use) but it works great, got rid of my "cold start downshift to first is not happening unless im stopped" issue, lol...... well, for the most part, but some other good brands are redline gear oil, valvolines pretty good from what i hear, just do us a favor and dont put anything lucas in your car, i hate that stuff, blah! But treat it well, and you shouldnt have any problems(dont slip the clutch on hills, if your a ta stop light etc, dont slam gears every time etc)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never dump the clutch unless you know your tires will soon be spinning after you release. Because if they're not spinning and you snapped the clutch then bye bye

I didnt really think you could spin the wheels in the AWD without doing damage to something??:eek: so taking of it the wet and dumping the clutch would get an AWD burnout?:rolleyes:

Thank's for all your help guys!! Will deff be looking after it untill i can afford some sort of upgrade!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts