ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty good about adequately warming up my stock 2012 WRX before I drive it. If it's the first time I've started the car today, I let it idle for at least 5 minutes and then on the road I don't rev above 3k RPM until it's fully warmed up. But is the oil temperature a better indicator of when the engine is warmed up? I've considered getting a boost gauge and would prefer the two-gauge mount that goes on top of the steering column. So I thought maybe an oil temp gauge would be useful for the second gauge. I realize this is probably overkill with an un-modded engine, but I'm just trying to take the best care of my WRX.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I like my oil temperature gauge. Do you have plans to modify the car or will it remain pretty much stock?

When the OE coolant gauge is "warmed up", my oil temperature is still 140-160°. Normal operating temp is 200-220°, which takes about twice as long as the coolant to reach.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't know about WRX's (duh), but other manufacturer's recommend NOT warming up your car at idle, and consider it severe conditions. Basically, they say get in, start it, and go - while taking it easy until fully warmed up..

Makes sense if you think the faster the oil warms up, the better for the motor. Of course, that assumes not slamming the gas until its fully warm.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,208 Posts
Letting the car stand at idle when cold means the motor remains cold longer, the engine is using fuel to do nothing, and the coolant is also taking longer to come to temp. Plus, the gear oil in the gearbox and differential(s) is not warming up at all. Driving off carefully seems much more reasonable instead since it will likey put let wear on the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I'm going to have to change my warm up routine. I found several threads on Clubwrx.net about warming up and I bet there are several here on NASIOC. It appears the consensus is to let it idle only a minute or two then finish the warm up while driving easy. Well, I'll definitely waste less gas!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,208 Posts
The only advantages I see to letting it stand at idle have to do with the cabin temperature, say if you are in the desert or a polar region or something. Other than that, I'd rather just get on with my commute etc. than wait around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil pressure might be a more useful second gauge.
So the oil pressure starts out high when the engine is cold and then lowers to some nominal pressure when it's warmed up, correct?

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
So the oil pressure starts out high when the engine is cold and then lowers to some nominal pressure when it's warmed up, correct?
Correct, like 90psi when cold then around 30 warm at idle. The pressure will change as you drive depending on RPM...I believe.

I think OP is a better indicator of something going wrong is all.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
michaelwfox said:
I think OP is a better indicator of something going wrong is all.
I feel that oil pressure may tell you something is going on, but often times, it just tells you that you need to start saving for a new motor, rather than save the one you have.

For example: the pickup tube is a common failure point, and by the time the gauge tells you something is wrong, the idiot light on the dash will also be on, and the motor is toast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have same question about warming my wrx. However, what if RPMs are too high (around 1500-1700), should still shift and go? or, should I wait for them to drop first? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is what I do.. Start up the car wait 30-60 seconds hit the gas once btw that time. Rpms go to 1200-1300 from 1500-1600 and I start driving easy revving,Till the temps go up and I feel the gear is not as hard to change lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I feel that oil pressure may tell you something is going on, but often times, it just tells you that you need to start saving for a new motor, rather than save the one you have.

For example: the pickup tube is a common failure point, and by the time the gauge tells you something is wrong, the idiot light on the dash will also be on, and the motor is toast.

I'd say yes and no. My oil pressure gauge let me know when my oil was very low and my engine was chewing through oil. The pressure was still good, but it started getting twitchy and would dip when I took a corner. I pulled over and checked my oil only to find out it was down to two quarts. If you have no oil pressure it's pretty much too late, and the light will come on. But with the gauge you can at least monitor it and see when there is even the slightest change. Plus it lets me know when my oil is up to operating temperature so I can flog on it.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
MainFrame said:
I'd say yes and no. My oil pressure gauge let me know when my oil was very low and my engine was chewing through oil. The pressure was still good, but it started getting twitchy and would dip when I took a corner. I pulled over and checked my oil only to find out it was down to two quarts. If you have no oil pressure it's pretty much too late, and the light will come on. But with the gauge you can at least monitor it and see when there is even the slightest change. Plus it lets me know when my oil is up to operating temperature so I can flog on it.
How often were you checking the level? What was the ultimate cause of consumption? What was the end result?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I had checked the oil two days prior.. about 380 miles. I check the oil practically every time I get ready to drive some where. The ultimate cause of consumption is still unknown. They tuned the car to see if the rings would grab and fix the problem, it did not. Then they rebuilt the engine (again) thinking the oil rings had not sealed (about a year ago). That did not fix the consumption either.. that's why they're getting ready to rehone the cylinder walls much more aggressively in two weeks and see if that fixes it.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm the OP and I should note that I have no engine mods and don't intend to do any. My intended use for an oil pressure gauge was just as you suggested; to determine when the engine is warmed enough to 'flog' it as you say :) So I'm not really worried about using the OP gauge for diagnosing engine problems or determining when I have oil starvation or when the motor is about to blow. I just thought the oil pressure gauge might be an objective way to determine when the engine is warmed on a case by case basis, every time I drive my car. Then again, I realize I'm being a little obsessive about this and it might only get worse with a gauge :)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Scoob_Noob said:
I'm the OP and I should note that I have no engine mods and don't intend to do any. My intended use for an oil pressure gauge was just as you suggested; to determine when the engine is warmed enough to 'flog' it as you say :) So I'm not really worried about using the OP gauge for diagnosing engine problems or determining when I have oil starvation or when the motor is about to blow. I just thought the oil pressure gauge might be an objective way to determine when the engine is warmed on a case by case basis, every time I drive my car. Then again, I realize I'm being a little obsessive about this and it might only get worse with a gauge :)
If your goal is to tell if the car is ready to "flog", get a temperature gauge.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your goal is to tell if the car is ready to "flog", get a temperature gauge.
Assuming you mean oil temp gauge, right? How is that better than oil pressure?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Letting the car stand at idle when cold means the motor remains cold longer, the engine is using fuel to do nothing, and the coolant is also taking longer to come to temp. Plus, the gear oil in the gearbox and differential(s) is not warming up at all. Driving off carefully seems much more reasonable instead since it will likey put let wear on the car.
DING DING DING we have a right answer!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, that thread revealed I was warming up my car completely wrong. Now I know better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts