ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 WRX 5-door, and I constantly need to carry 3-4 people in the car. When people sit in the back seats, they would usually give me some feedback, that the ride is a bit too harsh. Bumpy, to be exact. Usually what seems like a very small imperfection on the road would translate into a surprisingly obvious BUMP. So when going higher speed on the high way (such as 70ish), the passengers' confidence decreases. And all of these happen while I don't feel a thing in the front seat --- very nice ride quality, not bumpy or harsh at all. So in other words, the WRX feels fantastic in the front seat.

While I know that WRX is a sports car and is supposed to be "hard" for handling purposes, I did own other sports cars that are equally (if not more) capable in handling, such as the RX8. And the passengers would tell me that the RX8 rides MUCH better in the rear seats.

So, my hunch is that I can probably do something suspension-wise to improve the ride quality (particularly for the rear seats) AND not compromise on the handling capability. Am I right? Could someone give me some ideas on this direction?

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are still using your stock springs and dampers the only way to be more compliant in the rear would be to switch over to plane-Jane Impreza rear dampers and springs. Handeling would suffer greatly. Perhaps a more compliant tire might take the edge off a bit but not much.
Not all cars are created equal as far as comfort goes. The RX-8 might have had more effort put in by Mazda to be more passenger friendly than the entry level Impreza line. Even though the WRX is not an entry level car itself, the car it's based on is.
Remember you got the car for you, not your passengers. Tell them to suck it up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bikelok,

First off, thanks for the response. Yes, everything is still completely WRX stock. I definitely don't want to go back to an Impreza rear dampers and springs. That'll be too much compromise I'd say.

So just to make one thing clear: Any performance-oriented suspension upgrades (even the modest ones) will worsen the ride quality for the passengers. Is this assumption correct? I guess what I *was* thinking of is something that will make the ride quality more refined but at least retain (if not improve) the current handling characteristics. But of course, if that's something that wouldn't exist at all, I'll be happy with the car as is.

:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Correct, any performance upgrades or tweeks will improve the performance but not for compliance or comfort. You can increase performance while maintaining some level of comfort but as performance increases comfort goes the other way.
Subaru spent lots of time and money designing as much comfort as they could in the Impreza. Again it is an econo-box to begin with so they have to make compromises. That is why the next generations of WRX and STi will be made on their own platform which will share very little with the Impreza. Some one who wants an economy car does not want to pay for any R&D that is for a performance car. Considering our cars are based on a simple platform, they can be made to go pretty good.

Edit: I don't think Subaru will even use the Impreza name for the next WRX/STi.
By the way, I have a big soft spot for Mazda. The RX-8 is a nice car.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The only thing you can really do is change the tires.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
The only thing you can really do is change the tires.
Pretty much. Low profile tires aren't exactly great for comfort, so even that may be a bit difficult to do.

That is, if your backseat passengers comfort means that much to you. Personally I would tell them to just deal with it, it's your car after all.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Buy them a pillow to sit on or a nice blanket for the back seat!

·
Registered
759 Posts
or change your friends!
+1

Or tell them to shut up or walk... They didn't contribute to your purchase, and you didn't buy THIS car because it was the most comfortable option for passengers.

...Or did you? I dunno...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all your inputs! They are all much appreciated!

Before this I really thought that there were something out there that could be both a performance upgrade (at least with minimal improvements) and refines the ride quality. But guess that's out of the window now, but like I said before, I'll just be as happy with the car as is right now. But will definitely think twice before going 18" wheels (I didn't consider those 17" as low profile at all...).

On the other hand, maybe I'm just different but I do care about my passengers, who are most likely my family members, or close friends. But oh well, they'll have to deal with it now. :-D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Edit: I don't think Subaru will even use the Impreza name for the next WRX/STi.
By the way, I have a big soft spot for Mazda. The RX-8 is a nice car.
By the way, I'll be MORE than happy if they dropped the Impreza name for the WRX's and STI's. That makes much more sense.
Also, yes, the RX-8 is a fantastic car to drive. Nowhere near as powerful or fast as the WRX, but it is certainly quick enough for DD, and the handling is top notch. Not to mention the transmission.

Obviously I love the WRX, but I definitely miss lots of things in the RX-8. :tongue:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts