ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to access contacts from iPhone 4 on 2011 WRX via bluetooth

Can anyone tell me how to access my iPhone 4 contacts on the 2011 WRX via bluetooth? I just want the ability to select and dial a contact using the cars system on the go without having to use the phone directly. I can't seem to find any way of doing this.

I picked up my new 2011 WRX last Friday (first time subie owner) and I love it! The only thing I'm not a huge fan of thus far is the head unit and the bluetooth functionality.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I'd just like two of my favorite toys to play nice.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,701 Posts
I don't own a newer WRX, but does the car really have the ability to store contacts separately from the phone? My impression of how that worked was that the system simply displayed your phone's contacts via Bluetooth. No phone, no contacts. That's pretty cool if it has standalone storage of that kind of data.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,701 Posts
Hmmm, looking at some info on the Subaru site, it looks like they do have something called a "Head Unit Phonebook", at least on the 2010 model. However, when I try to drill down to the iPhone, it appears that "Import All Contacts" is not supported.

Not totally sure that I'm searching correctly...this was through a menu system that made you choose between NAVI and BlueConnect. BlueConnect didn't show any information for me.

http://www.subaru.com/engineering/electronics-audio/bluetooth.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I'm just interested in being able to use my iPhone contacts via the cars Bluetooth system. Being able to access the numbers on my phone would be preferable to having to transfer the numbers to the car. However the head-unit menus seem to imply that I must initiate a transfer of contacts and there seems to be no way to do that on the iPhone.

I have modified the original posting to clarify.

Has anyone has success in using their phone's contacts via the cars Bluetooth system (iPhone or otherwise)?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Alright, I have a 2011, and this is basically what I've found:

I have no idea how to automatically import contacts to the car, and I have no idea if/how the car stores contacts, nor do I know if you can dial by voice (my luck so far has been a resounding "no").

When you start the car it should automatically sync via bluetooth. Then all you have to do is call a number from the phone and it will automatically play the call through the BT system.

I honestly haven't played around with it much because this is sufficient for me.

I do find it annoying that when someone calls me I can only see their number on the head unit, rather than their name.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. There should be something with your owners manual that tells you what to do..and 2. If you turn on bluetooth on your phone then hit the talk key on the bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel it kind of walks you thru the setup. But if you can find th paper with your owners manual it'll walk you thru it. But from what i've found there is no automatic way..you add them by saying them..its a pretty lame/long process but once its done its done..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know in mine you have to enter them in yourself and you can't transfer them. I don't have the touchscreen though so that may be different with Nav.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yup. have to enter contacts yourself. kinda sucks. but still awesome it was a factory option.

I do have a question tho. can you not add more than one phone? when I try to add my gf's phone it says memory full. what's up with that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
yup. have to enter contacts yourself. kinda sucks. but still awesome it was a factory option.

I do have a question tho. can you not add more than one phone? when I try to add my gf's phone it says memory full. what's up with that?
The manual doesn't address that but it is a possibility. I would have to try it with my wife's vibrant to know for sure. Or I'll run into it when I try syncing my new vibrant when tmobile replaces it for be a PoS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts