ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so as some of you know I have had drivetrain issues in the past.

12,000 miles, blew second out BONE STOCK
23,000 miles, blew out rear LSD unit (Catback)

Update: 32,000 miles, blew 2nd gear (UP/DP/Cobb stage II ECU)

A fellow subaru enthusiast has a STi RA gearset in a WRX housing, and is offering a great price on it.

He built it when he worked at subaru, and the gearset has fresh synchros, seals, bearings.

Im planning on having AAMCO drop my tranny and installing his.
Is there a way to test the transmission BEFORE it goes into the car.

Plain and simple, i dont want to spend alot of money for a trans that is non-functional.

On the other hand this is a great upgrade, and if it works from day one, ill never regret the short ratios, and being able to put the car in first while rolling. The car also would be ready for Moderate power increases from say a VF34.

Anybody have any tips. The seller says its possible to bench test a transmission, but I am completely new to transmission techniques and procedures. Any help would be huge :cool:
I gotta get my baby back on the road:tongue:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if only this forum got traffic like "wrx vs. the world"

looks like a shot in the dark... gonna do it though...

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I'd say that if you're going to pay AAMCO to do some work on your car, have them break the case and inspect the gears and synchros themselves. I'm assuming you'd take delivery on the gearset before you installed it, and if the seller is willing, tell him you want your tranny shop to inspect it before you finalize the sale, that way you can get someone to peek at the internals before you're into it for $3k

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
AAMCO should be able to bench test it prior to install.

if the guy is a local and trustworthy then at least itll be easier than if its a shipping deal.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since the case is open right now, ill get a chance to look at the gears saturday, i know that all the synchros are new, along with all bearings and seals, but maybe it would be a good idea for aamco to check whether the gears are where they should be.

thanks for the help everyone... wish me luck.... ill keep you posted

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, its all in the car... 5th doesnt work... im sick to my stomach dont know what to do... waitin for answers from Rallispec tomorrow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts