Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know. When I start the car up and let it run there is this Hella loud screaming sound. It usually goes away after some driving but the car is extremely loud right now. Also, the screaming sound is while in boost. I dont know if there is a leak or not but i need some advice. Thanks...

- Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
a loud SCREAMING is what people use to describe a uppipe leak. they say...an uppipe leak is very distinguishable.

with that being said, im no expert on uppipe leaks because i have never heard one before. but eversince i put my txs uppipe in my car, i have alot of odd noises too. and not knowing where those noises are coming from discerns me greatly. though you say you have a noise at idle, while my car sounds stock at idle. it makes me wonder if i have a leak as well. my i ask...Do you hear a flutter? cuz, i hear a flutter as my rpms increase. the more im in boost it gets louder. BUT...the noise goes away when im at FULL BOOST, WOT.

my mods are: Txs Uppipe, Txs Turbo-back, Injen CAI.

with my mods...i hear just about EVERYTHING that goes on with my car so trying to decifer an uppipe leak to everything else is hard for me and the fact that i dont know what to listen for. im hoping this thread helps me as much as it will help you....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have had a fluttering sound mainly when the car is cold and in the 2-3k rpm range. Sounds like its coming from the front driver side of the engine bay. I have no idea what it is, but when its fully warmed up it pretty much goes away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
KanosWRX said:
I have had a fluttering sound mainly when the car is cold and in the 2-3k rpm range. Sounds like its coming from the front driver side of the engine bay. I have no idea what it is, but when its fully warmed up it pretty much goes away.
same here...its coming from the driver side DEFINANTLY. but from looking at your mods list, you dont have a aftermarket uppipe. which leads me to believe that my uppipe is not the cause of it. :p

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The fluttering sound is probably the wastegate regulating boost.

The screeching symptoms described by Oo DaRk StAr oO are a classic uppipe leak description.

misterx

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The screaching goes away after I drive for a while... and the screaching is followed by the same fluttering noise. I dosent seem like Ive lost power. If my uppipe is leaking what do I do. The guys that installed it said it wouldnt leak.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Actually I had an uppipe up until Saturday. I have heard it less now that the stock uppipe is back in, but the noise is still their a little.

MisterX: Isn't the wastegate on the passanger side, unless the car is playing sound throwing tricks on me and BoostedAWD I am pretty sure the noise is coming from the driver side. Who knows, maybe it is.

I thought maybe it was related to engine coolant or some other fluids. Since the stock uppipe seems to have made it less noticable you could be right. I would think though that I would hear it in all rpm's where I had boost vs. just 2-3k.

·
Registered
59 Posts
well the thing that baffeld me the most is that the noise was never apparent when i had my txs turbo back on. i never noticed a fluttering of anysort, until i put on my uppipe.

darkstar: you can try and realign the gaskets on you uppipes. you can try and replace them with thicker brackets. you can try and seal it with some high temp gasket sealent. or you could try and remove your turbo brakets. all these can help alleviate the uppipe leak...but will not gaurentee it.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
The only uppipe leak I've had was when the two bolts holding the uppipe to the exhaust manifold came off completely. My car sounded like an old VW bug. I never knew what a leak sounded like until that time.

Everyone told me that I'd know it when I heard it. Same with a woman's orgasm, except that I'm still not sure if I've heard one of those yet :D

I probably should not have told you guys that, but...

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Oo DaRk StAr oO said:
I think its leaking... but as the turbo gets hot it seals itself back up. Could that happen???
Yes it can. The aluminum/gaskets expand with the high heat, and it could seal up until the car cools back down.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Oo DaRk StAr oO said:
Would I lose a huge amount of power? Like I said the screaching goes away in a few seconds. Should I bother with it or let it be?
All you probably have to do is retorque the uppipe to manifold bolts. It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes. Make sure to use some loctite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts