ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm looking to get as much as I can for my '02 WRX wagon. She was my dream car, but broke my heart twice (had to replace the engine with a slightly used one 3 years ago, and it died on me again a few months ago). My mechanic wouldn't even mess with it. Apparently there were ball bearings and shavings in the front of the engine, and he's sure that a piston hit a cylinder and the engine would need either a few grand worth of repair or the car would need a new engine (I've been through that game before, and not looking to go there again).

The car is in pretty good shape otherwise. ~120,000 miles, rally blue color still looks gorgeous (no signs of rust), brand new tires, aftermarket stereo, ski rack, bike rack. If someone wants to mess with the engine or replace it, the car still has a lot left in her (I was hoping to get another 5 years out of it). Or someone could probably get a lot for the parts if they wanted to deal with that.

The car is sitting at my mom's place in Jersey (I live in VA, it broke while I was visiting). Any ideas about the best ways to sell it and a fair asking price?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm not sure who would buy it, unless they had an engine already. Your best bet might be to part it out and see what you can get that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the time or know-how to part it out, but would be glad to sell it to someone who wants to do that (though would prefer to sell to someone who does have an engine or wants to do some engine work on it).

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
What do you need to get out of it and do you have pictures? I'd be interested for the right price and am willing to pick up

·
Banned
296 Posts
Just list it on ebay or any other site, basically say everything you did in your original post, emphasize the fact that it does not run because the engine is blown. Ask 2500 obo as is. Take 2k if anyone offers that much and is willing to pick it up from your moms house. It's that easy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Rex. I was gonna list it under "for sale" here, as well as on craigslist and maybe ebay. I was thinking to ask exactly that, $2500 obo. She's in "very good" condition (passed inspection with flying colors just a few days before the engine died), still looks gorgeous, and would be worth close to $7000 according to kbb if she had a working engine. Kenwood stereo, ski rack, wired trailer hitch, and bike rack all included.

JD, let me know if you're interested in talking about it or taking a look. I'll be in Jersey this weekend, then again for a couple of weekends in mid June.

Pictures should be attached.

Attachments

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You'd be able to sell it for this simple equation. KBB price - cost of rebuilding an engine = rough sale price.

Honestly, you're probably looking at a pretty big hit. If I were considering buying it I'd probably offer you about 2k as a complete car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had almost a dozen inquiries within a few hours of posting on craigslist. Asked for $2500 and got $2400! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Had almost a dozen inquiries within a few hours of posting on craigslist. Asked for $2500 and got $2400! Thanks for the advice!
Wow, nicely done! That would have been more than I could have offered so congrats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts