Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to disconnect the battery for a while or can you simply remove a specific fuse instead?

I've had my WRX for a week - I heard you should reset the ECU after doing any performance mods. I've got a MBC and K&N on order and plan on doing an uppipe later.

Thanks

·
2,210 Posts
Everyone seems to have a different take on this, but personally I've found my vehicle performs worse after a reset. The ECU has to relearn your driving habits from scratch, whereas it would otherwise only have to adapt to your new mod. Maybe with a significant modification (like a Unichip) it would be a good idea, but for a K&N and MBC I wouldn't bother. Just drive it hard and it will adapt. Also, don't get carried away with the boost as the ECU will just pull your timing and your car will end up being slower than it was before the mod! :eek:

·
Registered
218 Posts
i dont know if this is true but i heard resetting the ecu every start will gain the best performance out of your ecu. your ecu wasnt made to make the most efficient power out of your car. it was programed to "learn your driving techniques" and take them into account when choosing a fuel/ignition map, so that it can optimize fuel getting better gas mileage, and so your emissions stay as low as possible and for other reasons.

my bro some how wired something up not sure how so that everytime he turned off his car it would reset the ecu.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts