ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe if I'm lucky, this will get sticky, and then every time some one posts "What should I buy for my brand new car?!" someone can say "Read teh sticky n00b!!" and then the thread will die and then I don't have to sort through clutter!!

This is for engine mods. I suggest doing suspension and brakes too, but most people like engine mods first.

In a little order, but not much of one. Items can always go in a different order.

1. Up-pipe

+ pipe in between the exhaust manifold and the turbo
+ eliminates one pre-catalytic converter (cat number 1)
+ increases spool a few hundred RPM (turbo spools sooner)
+ increases sound slightly
+ you can gut your stock one (Take a screwdriver and pound the ish out of the cat material. Where a mask. It can give you teh cancer!)
+ costs: free-$200+

2. Intercooler hoses

+ most kits replace the BOV return line, the y-hose and the hose to the throttle body
+ the y-hose is the most (only?) useful hose in this group
+ increased flow and makes putting your intercooler back on easier
+ costs: $30 (used y-hose) - $140ish

3. Engine Management

+ reflashes or piggybacks to the stock ECU
+ a reflash means a company loads a new program onto the ECU that increases boost, advances timing, changes fuel maps, etc. The increase in boost is made safer by changing the other parameters. examples: Cobb AccessPort, ECUtek
+ a piggyback changes these parameters after a certain threshold is reached. example: UTEC
+ which one you want depends on what you want to do. That means you need to read the engine management forum and use the SEARCH button.
+ costs: $300ish - $one billion dollars

4. Exhaust

+ the exhaust consists of 4 pieces: the downpipe (nearest turbo, has one cat), the midpipe (has one cat), the centerpipe (with resonator) and the axle back (axle back + centerpipe = catback exhaust). All 4 pieces is a TBE (Turbo Back Exhaust)
+ the downpipe comes in pretty much 3 styles: plate, bellmouth and divorced
+ plate - like the factory design. The plate covers the wastegate area. Cheapest to make.
+ bellmouth - open area near the turbo that covers the wastegate exit and exhaust exit. Improves exhaust and wastegate gas flow. Sometime, a splitter is added to split the gasses.
+ divorced - seperate pipes for wastegate and exhaust gases. Improves flow.
+ which one should you choose? Well, first you should decide 2.5" or 3". Thats its own debate. Then, do some research on the board using the SEARCH button.
+ costs: $150ish (for downpipe only) - $1600+ (full TBE)

5. Turbo, Fuel, Fuel Pump

+ often sold in combos
+ do lots of research before upgrading the turbo. You'll need everything else on this list before a turbo upgrade. In general though, a bigger turbo means you'll need more fuel (bigger injectors), something to send more fuel (bigger pump), and a tune.

This is just a general idea of what to do. And if you don't like my list, then buy a CAI and a BOV and punch me in the face.

·
Registered
907 Posts
good write up for engine mods. I say for your safety and the safety of those around you...especially if you are going with bigger rims...Do some Brake mods first and foremost!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Good, except this......

Rancid said:

+ increases spool a few hundred RPM
should say:
+ turbos spools a few hundred rpm less

or something like that your way makes it sounds like it adds rpms to it. If this post is for noobs then you want to be specific.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: How to mod your car.

phreze said:
Good, except this......

should say:
+ turbos spools a few hundred rpm less

or something like that your way makes it sounds like it adds rpms to it. If this post is for noobs then you want to be specific.
Clarified.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Rancid said:
+ costs: $300ish - $one billion dollars
Whenever I read something like "1 Billion Dollars", I hear it in the voice of Doctor Evil.:)

Sorry, I'm strange that way...

·
Registered
92 Posts
rancid...

throwing a UP/DP and an exhaust is a full TBE right?

and yes..good idea for stickey cause i;ve seen this topic mucho mucho

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Iron_Armz said:
throwing a UP/DP and an exhaust is a full TBE right?
I'm not Rancid, but uppipe isn't part of the TBE. Just FYI...;)

·
665 Posts
that was very good and agree it should get a sticky

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
just build up your exhaust dont buy the whole system, i got...
Helix upipe:$200
invida d/p: $300
Blitznurspec full racing catback:$500

total$900...

oh........... :eek3: that is expensive

·
Registered
641 Posts
WRXout said:
just build up your exhaust dont buy the whole system, i got...
Helix upipe:$200
invida d/p: $300
Blitznurspec full racing catback:$500

total$900...

oh........... :eek3: that is expensive
I think your numbers are off. It should be $1000

BTW I got my full turbo back for $660

$230 for Bosal DP
$80 for gutted Mid pipe
$350 for Bosal Cat back

*edit* if you want to add my gutted up pipe ($80) its $740

·
Registered
53 Posts
i dont wanna sound too noobish, but w/o going nos or anything, would u need to change the pistons to meet compression specs in anyway? or are the stock ones pretty damn good? besides stable and smooth rides i dont kno if flat 4 has any benifits to compression ratios. ty
-rez

1 - 20 of 20 Posts