ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The posted technique is the vacuum launch technique (the brake seems to suck to the floor).

Try using higher octane fuel. Also, boost seemed to build faster on cooler days. It worked in that I didn't have to go through the extra steps. Every car is different. Take some time and learn what helps and hurt your launch.

But remember, I replaced my tranny. Doing this (brake launches) probably led to the tranny's demise.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Since I get so many PMs asking about how to properly launch your 4EAT, I decided to make a thread about it. (mods please sticky and or merge with any other launching thread.)

I strongly advise that you use your head and practice this in a very remote location (or more preferably the track!) and if you want to keep your transmission in good working order, you might want to rethink doing this on a daily basis.

Here's how it works:

1. (left foot on brake, right on gas) At a complete stop, put the car into N.
2. Start revving until you feel the brake pedal depress. (usually a quick rev to 5k RPM does the trick)
3. WAIT until the revs drop all the way back down, and put the car back into D.
4. With your left foot still firmly planted on the brake pedal, start revving the engine. You should see RPM's climb to around 2400 rpm and stall. After 2-3 seconds it'll start rising and you should hit around 3200 RPM.
5. Once at this RPM take your foot off the brake, and hold on for dear life!

With the right amount of practice, this whole process can be done in a matter of a few seconds. And with the propper technique, you should be making a face like this: :eek3:

·
Registered
773 Posts
bmms8 said:
so on a stock tranny, and stock wrx auto, i can really get up to 3200 rpms without overheating, or damaging anything? thanks a lot.
WRX said:
I strongly advise that you use your head and practice this in a very remote location (or more preferably the track!) and if you want to keep your transmission in good working order, you might want to rethink doing this on a daily basis.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Kanchou said:
if you're drag racing, would you put it in D or leave it in 3?
I dont know, I think third goes up to 120 or so. My tranny likes to engage quicker from a stop if it's in third so I'd probably go with that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
3rd goes up to 120?? damn, i trhought it went up to 90? i thought it was somewhere around 40, 72, ~90, havent actually floored it in 3rd to redline, so im only assuming.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think so, I cruise @50 somewhere around 3000 revs so I figure it will do 100 at 6000 and then you can go up to 7000 . . .

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
What I do at the track is:

Launch while in D, and right about at the 60' mark I shift it into 3. (I just kinda feel it out) I don't know what this does for my times, but it seems to work the best. And you'll end the 1/4 mile with plenty of room to spare because 3rd does go up to 120.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bmms8 said:
3rd goes up to 120?? damn, i trhought it went up to 90? i thought it was somewhere around 40, 72, ~90, havent actually floored it in 3rd to redline, so im only assuming.
If I remember correctly, the manual says third tops out at 112.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I usually shift mine before 110mph on stock size tires.

However, your vehicle speed is a function of your rpm's, tire size etc.

I haven't run the numbers but larger tires might allow a car to have that shift point near 120. But then, your speedometer is based off the rpm's and would still show you shifting at 110. So one would be shifting at 120 when reading vehicle speed from a gps unit.

Some EM's allow the rev limiter to be increased. Higher rev's = faster speed. Maybe that's where he's getting his higher vehicle speed at shift.

·
Registered
598 Posts
WRX said:
Since I get so many PMs asking about how to properly launch your 4EAT, I decided to make a thread about it. (mods please sticky and or merge with any other launching thread.)

Here's how it works:

1. (left foot on brake, right on gas) At a complete stop, put the car into N.
2. Start revving until you feel the brake pedal depress. (usually a quick rev to 5k RPM does the trick)
3. WAIT until the revs drop all the way back down, and put the car back into D.
4. With your left foot still firmly planted on the brake pedal, start revving the engine. You should see RPM's climb to around 2400 rpm and stall. After 2-3 seconds it'll start rising and you should hit around 3200 RPM.
5. Once at this RPM take your foot off the brake, and hold on for dear life!

With the right amount of practice, this whole process can be done in a matter of a few seconds. And with the propper technique, you should be making a face like this: :eek3:
The break depression will occur in most automatics right, not just the rex, yes?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I launch my wrx the same way as listed except I normally use the e-brake when I launch because you can hold more boost off the line. I only have exhaust and got a 1.8 60ft out of it. adn a [email protected] I have to break 100mph now so I got the eccutek but that is another story. BTW this could be why my tranny went at 73k miles when I beat on it often. So be careful and always remember if you don't break it you are not trying hard enough. :eek3:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts