Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's 30.000 miles on my stock tires
someone told me about "penny method" to see how good the tires is
someone?
thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
The penny method is a 3/32" depth, there is also wear makers on the tire.
Look for small bars in the tread, it is where the base of the tread has little raised cross bars.
When the face of the tread gets to those they are done for rain weather.

Sorry that is the best i can explain it, you will notice it when they show.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
You can use the top of Lincoln's head as a tread depth gauge, or the built-in tread bars (I think the manual explains this too), and you can also note the feel you're getting - if the wheel wobbles or you notice tramlining and there's nothing else wrong with the car, the tyres could be going.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm using penny, and the tread depth is right in between Lincoln's head and hair
what it means?

·
19,727 Posts
If you can see all of Lincoln's head (it will be upside-down as you hold the penny into the tread) then the tyre tread is low enough to replace the tyre.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup, i can see all lincoln's head
it's right in between his hair and his head
i need to buy new tires then

·
19,727 Posts
Do you mean the tread is between the top of Lincoln's head and the edge of the penny? If so yes, your tread is low.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's right on his top head, but not his hair
i can see all his head but not his hair
that's what i'm trying to say
hmm ....

·
19,727 Posts
Aha! OK I understand now. Yes, your tread is low. You might want to do a search for replacement tyres on this forum, people have tried many different kinds and have posted about them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks a lot !
:)
i think this is the time to buy 17" and new tires Sumitomo HTR+ 225/45/17
hehehe ......... i wait for this moment to happen

what tires do you use?

·
19,727 Posts
I still use the stock Dunlop RE92 because it's still new. When I need to replace them I was thinking of staying with the stock 16" wheels since they are actually quite light and strong, so I don't see the need to go to 17" for my car, which is used as a family car mostly. I will probably go to 225/50/16 and use Falken ZIEX 512 - I am using these on our Toyota and like them, and they're inexpensive.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I always thought you needed to see his hair, as of course the top of his head is higher than his hair line......he had a pretty full head of hair!

Either way they're getting low.

As a note to everyone else - make sure you get under and check out the inside of the tread as well. Especially if you're running extra camber up front and are prone to wearing the insides of the tire first.

C

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
SD_GR said:
I still use the stock Dunlop RE92 because it's still new. When I need to replace them I was thinking of staying with the stock 16" wheels since they are actually quite light and strong, so I don't see the need to go to 17" for my car, which is used as a family car mostly. I will probably go to 225/50/16 and use Falken ZIEX 512 - I am using these on our Toyota and like them, and they're inexpensive.
Bridgestone RE92.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
don't you see how bad our stocks tires are

1 - 16 of 16 Posts