ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch videos on youtube all the time of people drifting and launching their WRX's and about half the time, the comments are full of people dissing on how they are destroying their cars while the other half of the videos praise them for their abilities.

I have a 2009 WRX and want to get to understanding it better and what I can do in it that will and won't hurt the car.

For example... This guy is getting tons of hate for hurting his car. What can I do to avoid doing the damage that everyone's saying he is doing? Sti 500whp killing it in the lot - YouTube

Also, when people drift in snow, is the E-brake usually being used, or just quick turns making the car slide?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I apologize if this isn't the right section. I'm new in here, clearly :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's a WRX...unless you feel like upgrading the transmission/gears, driveshaft, axles, and rear differential, (at the very least), hard clutch dumps, attempts to get the wheels spinning on pavement, blah blah blah...are going to destroy your vehicle, hardcore. If you high-rev dump the clutch on an STi, it still may break, and they are pretty built over WRX's.

·
Registered
340 Posts
When It comes to drag racing you can do damage to the clutch, launching an awd car is tricky. The STI transmission may be bullet proof but the clutch can still take a dump. As far as rally or auto x type driving it's what they were built for but you still need to know how to shift properly .

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
[notes license of youtube car, so he can avoid that car in the event of any future used-car purchases]

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum.You will find expert advise around here which you will need after you have killed your transmission by driving like that.

Launching,ebrake drifts,opposite lock are a big no-no.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Easiest answer:

Drive with common sense.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
It always seemed kind of simple - its the pay to play thing in action. If you want your car to be a reliable DD then drive it like you want it to last. These cars are built to handle aggressive driving, but abuse it abuse. If you want to drift it and drag it with clutch drops, that's fine - just be prepared for the inevitable replacement costs that go with those activities.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Have fun, but if you think you're going to cause a problem doing something you're doing... then you probably are.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool... thanks guys. I'll be sure to take care of my vehicle :)

Also, when there's snow on the ground, that takes a lot of the friction off and I see subaru owners drifting and doing cookies in snow all the time. This isn't very hard on the car, is it? Also, what are the best ways to do tricks in the snow in a subaru?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
It's HORRIBLE on the steering pump. Every single winter we get ~ 10 "My steering went out after donuts, is this normal?" Threads. Please don't be one! :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, I had no idea all of these things were so bad for Subarus. I thought these were normal activities! :/

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I thought these were normal activities! :/
They are if the driver is a teenager who thinks that their subaru is a "rally car yo"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahaha I know what you mean. I'm 20, have had my WRX for 2 years and put 15k miles on it, but have taken excellent care of it so far. I just thought that since so many people drift and rally their subarus that it was okay to do.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
I think too many folks get fooled by the many YouTube vids showing people doing the previously mentioned activities. Any one of us could do them if we choose, but there is always a cost when you push a car to the extremes. Makes for a nice video ... but my money says that they'll be in the shop sooner than the average bear wondering why their Subaru isn't living up to its reliability reputation.

That said, enjoying an occasional drift through some snow or loose dirt will not be a huge problem, as long as the wheels can break traction without stressing the drivetrain and you lay off the ebrake. Gotta give it the goose now and then ... :thumbup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your comment! And I agree.

I don't think I full understand drifting though to be honest. For a good, painfree drift, should the e-brake be used or not? If the road is slick with packed snow, do I just make a turn, straighten the wheel, and tap on the throttle? And does the e-brake lock up the front or back wheels?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,463 Posts
My car has a hand brake that locks up the rear wheels.

Your other questions are empirical. I recommend exploring the answers in someone else's car (I don't like repair bills).

1 - 20 of 59 Posts