ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really looking into the WRX but refuse to buy right now cause I never drove a manual. So i guess this applies to any car really. Must you also downshift at all times? what happens if you slip the car into the wrong gear on the highway, do you crash and die? Is it better to go into neutral at stoplights or stay in gear? If I need to slow down on the freeway, should I go into natural, then straight back into fifth if I am at 60 mph? What about stop and go traffic? Also when reversing and paralell parking what is the process? Also hills? I know this is super annoying but let me know, cause I want to MANual up. Unfortunately everyone I know treats stick shifts like alien space crafts so I need to only look online, and to video games for practice.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
I am really looking into the WRX but refuse to buy right now cause I never drove a manual.
Borrow or rent a manual or go to a school to learn. It's very simple.

Must you also downshift at all times?
No. Only when necessary. It's easier to see for yourself when it's necessary though than to explain it in writing.

what happens if you slip the car into the wrong gear on the highway, do you crash and die?
Death is the only thing that lasts. Only hatred lasts nearly as long. Everything else, including our bodies, is ephemeral.

Is it better to go into neutral at stoplights or stay in gear?
Neutral, +/- handbrake depending on location.

If I need to slow down on the freeway, should I go into natural, then straight back into fifth if I am at 60 mph?
No.

What about stop and go traffic?
You'll learn to hate it and row between N-1-2 like the rest of us.

Also when reversing and paralell parking what is the process?
Select R or 1 depending on where you want the car to go. I prefer to not use other cars as bump stops but many people don't mind doing so at all.

Also hills?
Life is full of them, there's always an uphill battle. Modern Imprezas have hill assist; I just use the handbrake on all my cars.

Unfortunately everyone I know treats stick shifts like alien space crafts so I need to only look online, and to video games for practice.
Borrow/rent/go to school to learn if you are concerned. It's no big deal at all. I never drove an auto until I was almost 19 years old; all previous cars were manuals. Another way to learn is to ride a motorcycle. There, if you are ham fisted with the clutch, the ER personnel could offer advice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Best scenario (currently driving a 5 spd manual 04 Corolla, will be getting WRX soon) for you is to get a beater car (something like my current car) and really practice on that. All of your questions will be answered if you just mess around on something like that. Of course be safe about it and see if you can find someone to assist you through it. If that isn't the case here are some of the answers to your questions, although I highly recommend practicing on manual transmission car cause no amount of reading can replace the actual thing.

To answer a few questions of yours,
-slipping your car into the wrong gear (depending on up shifting or down shifting) would either put your car at low RPMs and you really wouldn't get your car to accelerate (example: going from 2nd to 5th by accident). Other case scenario, is your RPMS go super high and you would get a big jerk in the car (5th to 2nd). Of course this isn't good for the car but chances are you will not crash or die.

-the stoplight scenario. I would put it into neutral only because your left leg would get tired of holding the clutch down.

-the slowing down on the freeway thing, if you need to slow down but not completely stop (like go 4 or 5 mph less than what you are currently going, you can either let go of the throttle and slow down that way, or if you need to slow down more, you can hit the break while staying in gear and than continue accelerating (example going at 65 mpg and slowing down to 55mpg).

-stop and go traffic will be a pain because there will be constant clutch control / changing gears a lot. Most people I know that do like to drive stick would opt not to if they lived in the city (city for me is NYC).

-reversing is the same concept as going forward.. same process accept now your going backwards... and parallel parking is more or less the same process..

-hills one of the hardest things to master I guess, seeing as your fighting gravity.

There are a lot of places you can read up on this stuff. I know someone will post a link to it. If not just a simple google search / youtube videos can do it. Its a great life skill to have up your sleeve and I would never go back to an automatic since I've learned.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another way to learn is to ride a motorcycle.
That is a genius idea, I never thought of it, but I did get my motorcycle license before I learned how to drive a stick... and I've tried driving one before I got my license and failed miserably, but after I got my license, it was much easier to learn how to drive a manual trans car...

Solid point there SD_GR

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
WSEX said:
I am really looking into the WRX but refuse to buy right now cause I never drove a manual. So i guess this applies to any car really.
Even if you're an experienced M/T driver, don't be ashamed if you stall a few times getting used to the engagement point. I've had a few people with years of experience drive my car who have stalled.

WSEX said:
Must you also downshift at all times?
No.

WSEX said:
what happens if you slip the car into the wrong gear on the highway, do you crash and die?
Depends on the RPM. I've gone from 5th-4th instead of 6th and had no issues (~4K RPMs instead of ~2K). Miss a shift in the upper RPMs, you could cause a part failure. Then again, if you're learning M/Ts, you shouldn't be approaching this point. Shifter bushings help make things more precise.

WSEX said:
Is it better to go into neutral at stoplights or stay in gear?
My car is never in neutral approaching/at a stop light. In some areas, it may be illegal to do so.

WSEX said:
If I need to slow down on the freeway, should I go into natural, then straight back into fifth if I am at 60 mph?
You use the middle pedal (brakes). If you need to downshift, do so, but shy of my driveway in the winter time (or any other steep, icy decline where you don't want any "forward motion"), my car is never in neutral while rolling.

WSEX said:
What about stop and go traffic?
What about it? Same as a stop light with me. At a stop, the car is in 1st. Shift as necessary.

WSEX said:
Also when reversing and paralell parking what is the process?
Same as with an A/T, only you are selecting 1st to go forward instead of D/OD.

WSEX said:
Also hills?
Like SD_GR mentioned, Hill Assist is a feature on newer cars. If it's not available on your MY, you can use the handbrake method to prevent rolling backwards.

WSEX said:
Unfortunately everyone I know treats stick shifts like alien space crafts so I need to only look online, and to video games for practice.
It's not rocket science. The only way to learn is with practice. The only real difficult part is getting started (where you'll stall); a smooth upshift / rev-matching a downshift will come with time, but will not cause a stall.

Have a friend / family member with a M/T car take you to a parking lot. Focus mainly on getting going, and a little bit of shifting gears.

Reactions: T0rque

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would suggest looking for someone willing to teach you and get a beater car to start. The WRX 5 speed MT does not particularly like being slammed into gear(believe me you'll end up slamming it quite a bit). Accidental down shifts can be pretty catastrophic if done at a high enough rpms.

That last thing you want to do is to blow a new cars tranny.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I used my Logitech G27 & Gran Turismo on PS3 to learn to drive a manual.But then again I learned to swim online.;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I learned manual in my friend's Toyota truck in one afternoon, next week I went to go buy my Mazda3 5MT. Hills and starting from stops are the worst when learning. I think the only reason I picked it up so fast was because that's all I had to drive, so I had no choice to learn. Find someone that can show you the basics and the rest is learn as you go.

It's one of those things you got to do everyday to become good at. As long as you don't do anything crazy, an occasional mis-shift, slip of the clutch or stall, won't do lasting damage.(I still stall once-in-a-while in the McDonald's drive thru, if I'm not paying attention)

·
Registered
90 Posts
You did the first thing right and that is ask for help and practice before you get one. Also relax if at first you dont succeed my friend had the same thought wanted manual but was too good to try any of me or my buddies to teach him. Went and bought a manual and spent the drive home in the passenger seat cause he had already snubed it 10+ times. Same guy also wanted a bike never riden before bought brand new zx6r and dumped it on his ride home.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You did the first thing right and that is ask for help and practice before you get one also relax if at first you dont succeed my friend had the same thought wanted manual but was too good to try any of me or my buddies to teach him went and bought a manual and spent the drive home in the passenger seat cause he had already snubed it 10+ times same guy also wanted a bike never riden before bought brand new zx6r and dumped it on his ride home
Please use punctuation. This is really hard to read.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to get a motorcycle to practice on. Could be dangerous if you dont know what your doing on that haha. But like everyone else said the only way your going to learn is by practicing.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to get a motorcycle to practice on.
Oh, it's a catastrophically bad idea. That's why I suggested it.

Could be dangerous if you dont know what your doing on that haha.
I would be shocked if it's not dangerous. The ER personnel might have suggestions though...

Another way to learn is to ride a motorcycle. There, if you are ham fisted with the clutch, the ER personnel could offer advice.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to get a motorcycle to practice on. Could be dangerous if you dont know what your doing on that haha. But like everyone else said the only way your going to learn is by practicing.
+1 to this.

On a 250 (4 stroke) this should be survivable. On 600+ super sport bike engines this maybe signing a death contract. I've never felt so much power and response from any engine that even a decent drag racing car feels slow to me lol. The bike will backhand slap a newbie(one that doesn't know how to drive manuals) and show them who's daddy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I believe I took a 150$ 2 and a half day course for learning how to drive a motorcycle. At the end of the 2 and a half days, you take your "road test" even tho its on a closed course, and if you pass you get a waiver for the license. Totally worth it.. It was taught very well and is definitely a great start on learning how to drive manual transmissions.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The WRX 5 speed MT does not particularly like being slammed into gear(believe me you'll end up slamming it quite a bit). Accidental down shifts can be pretty catastrophic if done at a high enough rpms.
I was letting a pretty girl shift from the passenger seat, because she didn't want to learn how to drive stick, but wanted to shift -_- She went in to 2nd instead of 4th... I honked the horn with my forehead. XD

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was letting a pretty girl shift from the passenger seat, because she didn't want to learn how to drive stick, but wanted to shift -_- She went in to 2nd instead of 4th... I honked the horn with my forehead. XD
hehe... :whoa: I would have honked the horn even if she shifted to fourth... :schwing: lol :lawl:

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Stuff like this (no offense to the op) is why I think driving a manual trans vehicle should be a mandatory part of the drivers testing in every state. My reasoning is that you never know if you might have to drive a stick for one reason or another. What if you're out with a friend who drove and someone rolls an ankle or hurts their shifting arm.. they cant drive, you might have to. Situations like that actually happen, so.. everyone should know how to drive manual. If they choose to or not is up to them but I still think everyone should at very least know how and have some basic physical practice in doing so.

hehe... :whoa: I would have honked the horn even if she shifted to fourth... :schwing: lol :lawl:
hahahahaha.. WININING :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can't believe people are actually answering all your questions... Driving a standard is not something you learn on a forum. Find a friend who has one and try it out. I learned in about and hour because i had to go to work and my dad couldn't drive me so i got a crash course... it was a long drive but i was pro after that day. My wife took about a day but she got it pretty quick also. It' not hard...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts