ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! This summer would be my first time at the track and i need to know how to launch my car. I never try it out yet but my launching is pretty good. What rpm should we be launching WRX at? Any perfect launching story that you want to tell? Please help me out thanks. I want to put down my best 1/4 mile time this summer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
depends how long you want your tranny to last

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for track day only. I don't launch it on the street.

·
Registered
0 Posts
haha sorry didnt mean to come off a little blunt, im just bitter and paranoid about my glassbox, im the wrong person to answer your question, i dont have a clue wen it comes to launching AWD

·
Registered
204 Posts
well, do you have a warranty on the car still? what you do is, launch that mother at 7000, dump the clutch about 6-7 times, and if anything breaks explain to the dealership you dont know wtf happend. new parts, u got good times, youre on your way.

·
Registered
0 Posts
well, do you have a warranty on the car still? what you do is, launch that mother at 7000, dump the clutch about 6-7 times, and if anything breaks explain to the dealership you dont know wtf happend. new parts, u got good times, youre on your way.
+1 sounds more like some great times to me

·
Registered
390 Posts
:confused1

Anyways, there are plenty of different ways to do it. Some people swear by dumping the clutch hard at 5-6k, others say rev a couple of times, catch it on the third upswing around 4-5k, and let it slip while still letting it out as quickly as possible.

Either way, your clutch is going to cry. I tried the slip method a couple of times, but the burnt clutch smell was starting to scare me, and I try not to do it anymore :( These cars really take off though from a stop, the acceleration was crazy.

Really it comes down to whether you want the energy to be burnt up in your clutch or slammed into your drivetrain. I prefer clutch, cheaper than transmissions. Or not launching at all :thumbup:

Edit:
Brock, with the WHP you are putting down, I have a feeling the slip method would be better for you. Dumping the clutch on a non-STi transmission with 285 whp...:thumbdown:

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
practice makes perfect

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey everyone! This summer would be my first time at the track and i need to know how to launch my car. I never try it out yet but my launching is pretty good. What rpm should we be launching WRX at? Any perfect launching story that you want to tell? Please help me out thanks. I want to put down my best 1/4 mile time this summer.
i forgot to ask, why would you wait til this summer? now is the perfect time to do your 1/4 mile run. with the weather now you could get about an extra 1/2 a second even a whole second if possible on your times. i live in florida, with all this damn humidity and 97 degrees in summer, cars run horrible around summer time.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
unlike florida, the weather isn't always so nice. Tracks are closed. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
and unlike florida we dont have the humidty problems like you have down there. also we race the late night drags and during are racing time here we average rigth around the 70 degree mark and some times we get a nice cool night and are cars run great in it:thumbup:

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
yep currently ~29 outside. Any sign of moisture on the tack = ice rink

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to be safe, i'm not gonna dump it. I did catch it around 3.2rpm just to get my turbo kick in then let go of the clutch slowly (not dump). It seems to woik out good.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ice:thumbdown+practice Launch:whoa:=WTF:thumbdown:whoa::thumbdown

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You have a VF39 and a protune but you don't know how to launch your car? :confused1

Sounds like somebody skipped the learning how to drive their car step and went right to blowing money on modifications they don't know how to use.....

Sorry, just telling it like I see it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You have a VF39 and a protune but you don't know how to launch your car? :confused1

Sounds like somebody skipped the learning how to drive their car step and went right to blowing money on modifications they don't know how to use.....

Sorry, just telling it like I see it.
thats a little harsh but unlike some, he prob values the parts in his car and doesnt have a few extra thou cash to blow on new parts so he can launch. :screwy:

·
Registered
237 Posts
brock, my best times were with 6500rpm drops:eek: my 03 tranny lasted for 2 seasons with a half a season at 289/273. I would say 100+ or so launches total. Never broke the tranny still was running good. Just upgraded to the lgt 5 speed at a deal I couldn't refuse :) I would say stick with the clutch slip.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ice:thumbdown+practice Launch:whoa:=WTF:thumbdown:whoa::thumbdown
hahahahaha.

Ive lived in florida my whole life ive never seen snow. i would of never known they shut down the tracks because it turned into a skating rink. maybe they should let the kids skate for the winter season on the 1/4 see whos faster.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It seems these days if i lunch my car it is totally by accident. I agree with the idea that if something were to break i would rather be the cluch rather then the tranny. Iether one breaking is not cheap to replace but the clutch is definitly cheapper... Once I have the money to put ra gears in my car and put a better clutch and fly wheel maybe then i will be more open to some abuse by lunching my car..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts