ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm brand new here, I currently have 2001 Audi S4 Avant 6 speed which I bought new and I'm thinking a new 2012 WRX 5 door will be the perfect replacement. I've been shopping around a bit and all WRXs are very hard to find. My closest dealer has none and the 2 next closest dealers 30 miles away have 1 each. Of course this makes them all sort of annoyingly smug and and they laugh when I hint about negotiating the price, though I haven't yet found the silver one with leather seats I'm dreaming about. I'm willing to jump on a plane and buy one from a dealer that is a $100 Southwest airlines flight away, but I haven't seen any dealers that have more than 2.

I have several questions that I would be grateful for some guidance on and I figured this was the place to start.

Any idea if this scarcity will end soon?
Is this scarcity real or just a ploy to drive up prices?
Any experience negotiating for one under these conditions?
Can I still expect to get one $500 above invoice?
Should I just order one?
If I order one should I expect to pay too much?
Any experience with auto brokers?

Thanks very much for any help or other info I didn't think to ask about.
-Ezra

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
Hi, I'm brand new here, I currently have 2001 Audi S4 Avant 6 speed which I bought new and I'm thinking a new 2012 WRX 5 door will be the perfect replacement.
I have my doubts. The Subaru will be much more reliable but the interior fit and finish will not be comparable, nor will the gearbox.

Of course this makes them all sort of annoyingly smug and and they laugh when I hint about negotiating the price,
Then walk. If they don't have a car, they can't sell you one. If they do, ultimately they don't really want it; that's why they're selling it. What they want is the money, and that's what you have. Why put up with them if they're smug? All they have is cars they don't want.

Any idea if this scarcity will end soon?
No idea.

Is this scarcity real or just a ploy to drive up prices?
Both.

Any experience negotiating for one under these conditions?
No different than any other conditions. You have money. Figure out how much you are willing to lose in exchange for a car. Offer that. If they give you attitude, leave. If they don't, but do balk, leave them your business card and ask them to ring you when they have the correct price -- the correct price is what you are willing to pay. They may call. They may not. Either way you win, because you have money.

Can I still expect to get one $500 above invoice?
Sure.

Should I just order one?
Only if you really want one.

If I order one should I expect to pay too much?
No, but they might expect you to pay too much. It costs them less to order a car for you, and they don't have any in inventory anyway, but this isn't about cars, it's about money, so they may try to get as much as possible from you.

Any experience with auto brokers?
No.

Figure out the exact model/colour/extras you want. Email any/all dealers within 200 km but stay in the state of CA. See what shakes loose. Don't hurry, it's a mass produced Japanese car. They'll make more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick and informative response SD_GR

Yes I realize perfect is relative, I should say that the WRX seems like the best choice for me based on several factors, mostly performance/price related. There is not a compelling Audi in my price range currently. I would like to know what your issues are with the WRX gear box.

I am going to take your advice on emailing the dealers in CA, I'm not in a huge rush and you make an excellent point about it being a mass market car that, at least theoretically, they want to sell a lot of. Patience has always worked in my favor when buying a car.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Call a dealer and order one the way you want the car. You negotiate price before hand so no surprises when it shows. You don't like the price you walk and find another dealer who will deal.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Even when you oreder the car you want, you can still continue shopping and buy one you like. After you buy the car, just cancel your order and you are good to go.
Ask eprice from all the dealers in ca and go from there.

Edit:

Once you get a good eprice, negotiate with nearest dealer to match it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be keeping that S4 and upgrading turbos or doing something to make me like it again! Those are nice cars!
Oh don't get me wrong, I love my S4 it has been a fun, reliable, comfortable daily driver 10 years and 110,000 miles, but one of the turbo seals is going and it's blowing oil. the rack & pinion is starting to make some noise, many of the 7 million little hoses that compose the "Octopus" and a lot of the other plumbing, much of which is custom fit to the S4 and expensive to replace, are starting to crack and get brittle. Except for the upper control arms I just replaced, all the suspension components are stock original. Little interior things are starting to have issues and who knows what else is ready to give out? By the time I upgrade the turbos, and additional ECU program, fuel delivery, replace all the little things that should be replaced, put a cat back in and a new clutch, go through the suspension and whatever other incidentals that make sense to do or might occur during this "restoration" I would still have a drive line and bottom end and interior that have 110k on them and I could easily spend $8-10k doing this refurbishment. I would wind up with a 10 year old European car which is now putting more boost in and more horsepower out. If I have drive line issues it could get expensive fast. It just sounds to me like a recipe for spending a lot more money and seeing the AAA guy more often.

A new WRX with an extended warranty could get me into a car that is fun to drive and that I don't have to worry about paying repairs on for quite some time.

Perhaps my thinking is flawed?

Thanks
-Ezra

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Maintenance is always cheaper than repair. Any car can be a pos if it isn't cared for. Modifications to cars done incorrectly can also make a car a pos. do your research, properly maintain your car and have fun

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just order the car the way you like it. You should be able to get it around invoice with dealer cost on all of the accessories that you like. The reason there is not many on the lot right now is because 2013 will be a new model year and they will be introducing it this summer. Benefit of going with a 2012, it will still have the 2.5 and will be a larger car if you have to move people on a regular basis. Downside is it will be an older model next year. The new one is confirmed to have a smaller engine (although could be the same HP) and will be smaller in size and be slightly better in fuel economy. Something tells me though that you are not concerned with the last point.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ask eprice from all the dealers in ca and go from there.
+1. You'll usually get a better price quote via eprice request than by walking into the dealer or calling. But a lot of dealers still want msrp, so you have to shop around. But be realistic about how far you're willing to drive. Remember that if the car needs warranty work, you'll probably have to go to the dealership where you bought it. The reputation of the dealership is important, too. There is one local dealer I didn't request a quote from, because I would never buy another car from them.

I disagree that it's always cheaper to maintain a car than to buy a new one. It can be very expensive to maintain a 10 yr old Audi. But you can't compare the wrx interior to the S4 interior.

·
Registered
759 Posts
God willing, I will be placing an order for one around here soon, too (southern California). I'm expecting to request that they give me a base model + fog lights + sts for $25k. Reasonable given the short supply?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks T0rque,

to be clear, I carefully maintain my car. This being a WRX forum I don't expect you guys to know the costs associated with maintaining a 10 year old S4 and I'm sure everyone would prefer to keep to WRX related discussion, but parts are very expensive and getting harder to find. Example, the Audi custom molded high pressure power steering hose, with factory fittings attached I replaced last month. After internet shopping was $375+ shipping. It snakes around behind the engine, it took my mechanic a couple of hours to get the old one out and the new one in without breaking any of the other old hoses in the way. I'm told turbos, clutch and many other repairs require removing the front clip and dropping the engine. The majority of the work that needs to be done is not anything I'm interested in doing myself, so labor also factors in and while I have excellent mechanics, they are also suggesting that I might think about a new car. I'm an adult with obligations so unreliability and constant little problems are not something I'm willing to live with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hadn't heard about the the 2013 model, I'll look into that, I could hold out 'til summer I think. I am of course interested in better mileage if it's possible to maintain a certain level of performance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1.
I disagree that it's always cheaper to maintain a car than to buy a new one. It can be very expensive to maintain a 10 yr old Audi. But you can't compare the wrx interior to the S4 interior.
Yes the interior thing is a factor, but what else is comparable performance-wise at the same price point?

·
Registered
90 Posts
boy i dont think there going to selling the 2013's this summer,,just releasing the info and such...as subaru has not .to my knowledge released the new wrx and sti till late in the year..but the other models little earlier..jeff

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't believe any scarcity you've been told about is real. I heard that when I ordered my '11 in 2010 and still got it under invoice.

My car-buying 101 tip: pit dealers against each other. Email your closest dealer and tell them that dealer x (whoever is the next closest Subaru dealer) can order you a new car at invoice but you'd prefer this dealer since it's closer. Ask if they will meet or beat that price. Worst they can say is no. And do this to several dealers...someone may bite.

That worked for me but I got the car under invoice. Most dealers would prefer an extra unit sold with little profit vs. not getting your money at all. Moving volume of cars is often more profitable than just the profit on top of each (depends on the manufacturer).

·
Registered
67 Posts
boy i dont think there going to selling the 2013's this summer,,just releasing the info and such...as subaru has not .to my knowledge released the new wrx and sti till late in the year..but the other models little earlier..jeff
You are correct they have not confirmed anything about release date other than they 2013's will be a new model year.

From a family hauler perspective with all wheel drive and a manual perspective i am unable to find anything at the same price point.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
2013s will not release until November 2012 they won't be showing to dealers til December

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can wait. I've waited this long for a WRX. Unless my car super crapped out way before that. Time is def. on my side :).

On a more amazing note, there's a brand new 2011 WRX limited in fort worth area for 27800! Isn't that a great deal? :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On a more amazing note, there's a brand new 2011 WRX limited in fort worth area for 27800! Isn't that a great deal?
Is that a great deal on an '11? Does anyone know if these 50 state cars? Can one buy in another state and register in California?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts