Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Thule aero crossbars and was thinking of just tying down my snowboard instead of paying $220 for the snowboard rack. Question is, should I spring for the official rack or tie to my existing crossbeams?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
How much is your snow board? How much to replace it? Do you think you can tie it to the rack without the board flying off during the trip?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much is your snow board? How much to replace it? Do you think you can tie it to the rack without the board flying off during the trip?

I live like 20 minutes from the mountain I board, in feel I could secure it but maybe the unlocked part would be a reason to go with the legit carrier. It would cost probably $1,000 to replace because of the board and bindings. So that's a good point as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've seen some made out of a couple of 2x4s with some U-bolts to bolt it to the crossbars. You can get some hinges so the 2x4s simply sandwich the board when closed. And you could add a lock. However, on a nice car like yours that would be an eyesore. You'd be fine tying it down, though. I've driven with lumber on my crossbars with ratchet straps. If you're real worried just get a couple small ratchet straps and you can be sure it ain't coming off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your new name at the mountain will be Jerry. Get real racks, don't be Jerry.

People sell them around here for around $50 and the "feet" specifically for Subaru cross bars run around $40 brand new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sprung for the actual snowboard rack for 6 or 4 snowboards(the biggest one) and glad I did. But with this spring snowboarding I get s bunch of bugs collecting. First world problems I know

1 - 6 of 6 Posts