ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 1 to 2nd seems really jerky , i try to finesse it , but i always seem to still get that little jerk at the end, especialy when flooring it and shifting fast.. is there a way to get past this? Would i need a new clutch or what, thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Well 1 to 2nd seems really jerky , i try to finesse it , but i always seem to still get that little jerk at the end, especialy when flooring it and shifting fast.. is there a way to get past this? Would i need a new clutch or what, thanks for the help
Welcome to Subaru.

IMHO alot of this is due to the gearing. You can get it smoother usually by not letting the clutch out so quickly. You dont want to hold it in and wear it but a tad bit more slipping will usually cure this.

·
Registered
905 Posts
im not sure if this is placebo, or what... but when i put in a short shifter, it seemed to lessen that 'jerkiness' between 1st and 2nd. i might have unconciously altered my shifting technique at the same time, though.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Finesse it until your fed up then replace the differential and (haven't tried this) transmission bushings. Its not AWD and its not me, this car just had (& has) large pieces moving around that shouldn't.

Edit: Comments reflect my experience but I don't fast shift 1-2. My issues are when the car is perfectly settled in a corner and I want a different gear.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
well i used to drive with my seat reclined back (gangstuh lean!) and pretty far away from the pedals. (why? who knows) but i moved my seat up A LOT and it really improved with my shifting. probably because i can fully press down on the clutch to engage it rather than barely touching it.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
well i used to drive with my seat reclined back (gangstuh lean!) and pretty far away from the pedals. (why? who knows) but i moved my seat up A LOT and it really improved with my shifting. probably because i can fully press down on the clutch to engage it rather than barely touching it.
Not to mention the damage you were inflicting on your poor clutch :) Sitting properly is still hard for me though i kinda like the gangsta lean ;)
:p

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Not to mention the damage you were inflicting on your poor clutch :) Sitting properly is still hard for me though i kinda like the gangsta lean ;)
:p
haha me too. i still have my seat reclined back a little because if its too straight it hurts my back. but i think the most important thing is having the proper distance from the pedals

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
pause a moment between shifts - eventually you'll learn the amount of time needed to revmatch the gear

or

use a bit of slip on your gear changes

Proper seating position is important, I mean, if you're struggling to reach the pedals... that's no good. However, I'd recommend keeping a safe distance from the airbag in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
pause a moment between shifts - eventually you'll learn the amount of time needed to revmatch the gear

or

use a bit of slip on your gear changes

Proper seating position is important, I mean, if you're struggling to reach the pedals... that's no good. However, I'd recommend keeping a safe distance from the airbag in the steering wheel.
Don't mean to be thread jackin' but that is the best advice you could give. The rezn I have a subie now is due to a major accident in my tC. I was told by many ppl that the distance I sat from the steering wheel kept me from havin' major injury, the only probs. I had was a hurt ego and a cpl of scratches from the extremely bent keys in the ignition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts