Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm trying to remove the stock gear-knob and it turns and comes off, but I can't remove the knob from the leather baggie. It's kind of stuck, if you follow me. Any tips for removing the knob from the leather baggie after unscrewing it?

Thanks!

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm....scared to break it. I had subaru take a look at it when they were installing my short-shift, and they couldn't get it off either! It's SUPPOSED to pop straight off as you say, but there's this plastic looking thing holding the knob to the boot for some reason, even after unscrewing it. :(

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok fine I went back out there and grabbed on it like a mad mother. It came off :D

Ok so my next question. ..

I want to put on a Momo knob, but how do you keep the boot attached to the gear-knob? The hard thing about pulling off the Subaru knob was the piece of plastic holding it to the boot. There is no such piece of plastic on the Momo knobs, and I don't want to have to replace the boot as well! How do you keep the knob attached to the boot 100% without it looking 'weird'?

Thanks again!

PS My next mod is....opening the rear doors by myself. :D :D

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
well replacing the boot isn't hard at all......just take off the plastic and unclip it or unfold whichever term u prefer..as to the momo knob i dunno i know my ichibahn slipped right over it like a champ..w00t for ichibahn

·
Registered
285 Posts
use a tie wrap (get em at radio shack, home depot, wal-mart) and tie wrap it to the shaft there (no jokes please). :p
There should be a pretty detailed DIY (do it yourself) explanation somewhere in the forums.
Here, this one seemed helpful
Here

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like a real hassle over a gear-knob? Electrical tape?! How messy that sounds! Bleh!

Any of you know a good place to buy gear-knobs in Minneapolis at all? I'm in St Anthony, 55421. I was hoping to go somewhere and make sure it all works properly, rather than buy it online and do a messy knob-job (ooer.)

·
Registered
159 Posts
momo install

This is my own method used form my Momo knob install.

Here's the deal, if you unscrew the sti knob you've got you'll see a nylon peice that goes over the shaft and also has a skirt that holds the shifter boot up. The problem is if you just slip the Momo over that then you get about .5 inches of the nylon showing between the knob and the boot.

You've got two choices now, buy a new boot (I found them once so I could find them again, let me know) or make what you've got work. No matter what you cannot get the threaded bottom boot-cover peice on your new Momo now. This worked out for me because I didn't like that peice. By cutting off the top of the nylon peice (be careful because if you cut too much off then you'll loose the threads that hold it onto the shaft) you can get the boot right up to the bottom of the knob. The knob has three allens that hold it onto the shaft so you get an industrial look that I kinda like. It was a pain but sooo worth it, that knob feels great!!!!(get your minds out of the gutter). If I had a digital camera I'd send you a picture. I'll look today and see if I can find the link to the boot and some pics of the knob with new boots.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I'm a loser. I'm scared I'll wreck something. If anyone has a name of a place in Minneapolis/St Paul - let me know please!

Thanks for the info slsuby, but I think the only way I'd be confident to do this would be to have a step by step picture thingy. Yes, I suck that much.

·
Registered
159 Posts
leap of faith

Just remember that the part you are destroying is a small peice of industrial waste that you should be able to buy for a few bucks. If you're that scared then make sure you can buy it seperately first. If I could take pics I would, but my camera is not in the digital world (far from it). I would be happy to draw a picture and scan it for you, but it sounds like you might want to get some professional help:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts