Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like the only problems ive been hearing about at all have been those pertaining to transmissions. Assuming I baby my transmission with no hard shifts (fast shifts sure are fun tho) and no hard launches (i wont do them neway) that should be ok. But how is the engine itself? Can it take some abuse and laugh back at you begging for more if you warm it up properly? Just seems that I havent heard a single person complaining about a busted ring, bent valve, or even a blown gasket. Please give info.:)

·
895 Posts
you pretty much summed it all up - the tranny's made of glass, but the engine'll work itself till the cows come home

(whatever that means) :cool:

·
Registered
167 Posts
well it was built to be used with a turbocharger so it has to be stronger than an engine built to be used naturally aspirated

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
*knocks on wood*

Seems like the EJ20 is a sturdy little lump as long as you keep it fueled.

There have been some big turbo/nitrous motors run HARD and put up WET and as long as they stay detonation-free they're blowing some great compression numbers and leaking down very little...

·
Registered
180 Posts
what's with this transmission being made of glass? i've heard from various people that either "the transmission is weak" or "the transmission can take a beating up to x hp."

does anyone have any specific examples or reasons why the tranny is supposedly weak?

·
Registered
180 Posts
yowch... pretty scary stuff. thanks for the link. on the other hand, a frail transmission doesn't seem to be symptomatic of any large portion of wrx owners - just a very unlucky minority. thank goodness my transmission seems fine after almost 32k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts