ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was kickin my 11 wrx quite hard around a right turn and when I reached 2nd gear redline I shifted to third. Somehow jammed it into 1st instead. WANNNNNGGGG and major engine braking occurred but I took it out of gear as fast as it went in. After close inspection while driving and at idle, i see nor hear any issues. There is a very slight tic sound at idle but I think that was there before. I feel no power loss while driving. After becoming paranoid that I did damage, I noticed a slight skip or resistance, barely noticable while shifting into 3rd gear. Nothing to effect the shift and I dont notice it every shift so it could be that its always been there. Can any pros out there tell me if I should be worried or not? And advice?:confused:
Thx all

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
time to take a driving school.
well this is my 3rd manual car. i consider myself a proficient driver. i think it was the fact i was pulling a hard right and hanging on the shifter too much that i want to 1st instead of 3rd. but either way, i dun goofed

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
A slight skip could be something with the clutch...

Just keep driving it at normal and see if anything progresses. Usually it's very difficult to get into 1st if you are going over 5mph...but no doubt this has happened to people before. Just be vigil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well if i did any damage, i hope the factory warranty will help out :p but things always start failing after warrantys expire..... damn murphy

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
well this is my 3rd manual car. i consider myself a proficient driver. i think it was the fact i was pulling a hard right and hanging on the shifter too much that i want to 1st instead of 3rd. but either way, i dun goofed

Got to watch that.. it's not good to put pressure on the shifter, except when shifting. I think Subaru says you should not even place your hand on the shifter unless you're actively changing gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got to watch that.. it's not good to put pressure on the shifter, except when shifting. I think Subaru says you should not even place your hand on the shifter unless you're actively changing gears.
ya, i read that in the manual. its a hard habit to break.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Thread title adjusted. We endeavor to keep a work-safe forum; please don't mess around with the f-word in our tech forums.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Can any pros out there tell me if I should be worried or not? And advice?:confused:
Thx all
You're in good company.

Circuit Permanenthe de la Sarthe

"... Percy's accident was the first blow to Jaguar, but after dawn Walkinshaw remarked: "It looks as though we have a race on our hands," which he would soon regret. Boesel spun his Jaguar at Arnage, damaging the nose and going three laps down.

An hour later Nielsen brought the second-placed Jaguar in with a rocketing water temperature gauge, and a cracked cylinder head was diagnosed. That car went out of the race, and half-an-hour later Cheever, in a real hurry, snicked reverse gear and the cog went through the transmission casing!"

Happens. One difference is that Cheever won't have to pay for a gearbox.

More here:Le Mans 24 Hour Grand Prix d'Endurance: 1987

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think, as far as the engine goes, you might have dodged a big bullet. I had to chuckle in my head slightly, but only because my brother did something similar in his 325is a few summers ago. I think his was from top of 3rd back into 2nd (obviously instead of 4th...) Upon returning the few miles home, you could just hear that damage had been done, even though he claims to have put the clutch back in only a fraction of a second after the shift was made. Anyways, 2 cylinders had been killed, and to make a LONG story short, he's now on engine #3 I believe with a very well running BMW.

So to apply this to you - It seems as though you still have all 4 cylinders and nothing too significant (that at least is evident yet) has been done.

Experiential learning is the best kind. Any in many cases, is the most expensive.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts