ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just registered as I am contimplating a new vehicle purchase in 1.5 years (I like to start my research early so I know exactly what I want when I need it) and the WRX will be a strong consideration.

One thing I wanted to ask as it is important to me when choosing a car is, "How is the service side of Subaru" when it's time for maintenance and warranty issues'?. I currently drive an Acura RSX and I detest their service dept. I just hate them, their attitudes and their laziness. Hoever, nothing has gone wrong with the Acura at all and all I've done is oil changes and tire rotations but their service dept just sucks. I used to drive a Chev Z24 and Chevy had friendlier service.

One more thing I wanted to ask is, "How is the reliability of the WRX"? I have 51,000KM on my RSX, and nothing has gone wrong except for leather seats wearing prematurely, 2nd gear notchiness, and washer bottle leak.

I've read all the RSX vs. WRX posts and have been looking at this site for a while so I know the benefits of each. For my next car it will most likely be the RSX-S or WRX. It will come done to reliability to me, and the customer service. Both cars are a blast to drive.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
you have to find a good dealer that will treat you well. some dealers dont care at all and some are total rooster fishes about EVERYTHING. i think the wrx is really reliable. the people who break their trannys are usually drag racing and dumping the clutch. there is plenty of people with plenty of power and the tranny is fine. id check some of the pictures here of wrecked wrx's. they seem to be one hell of a safe car. i know when i got rear ended at 40-50 mph my car held up pretty damn good.

im sure others can chime in and add more info.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Reports about service will vary widely. I can't comment, because I do all of my own stuff. I think you're going to have to get a feel for your local dealer's attitude and service policies. Someone telling you that their service sucks in New Jersey may have little to no relevance to your experience in Toronto.

As to the other question; Subarus are lauded for their reliability. Take care of your car, and you should have reliability that's equivalent to what you're accustomed to with your Acura. I will give this caveat: If you launch the car constantly, or abuse it, then your reliability will suffer. Subaru's 5MT tranny seems to be a bit of a weak link for people that are hard on their cars. Having said that, my car has been modded to varying degrees for over 30,000 miles, now, and I have had zero issues. I have 45,000 miles on the clock; the car drives better than new, and my tranny and original clutch are in fine shape. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most dealers have lousy service. It’s not really any different from brand to brand. You could check some of the customer satisfaction reports and try to stick with a brand that gets better ratings, but service quality is really handled on a dealer by dealer basis, and not brand by brand.

I think enthusiast tend to be more disappointed in dealer service too, because they know more about how the car looks and are far more picky in how repairs are done.

I have not noticed an overabundance of reliability problems with WRX’s. Transmissions are a weak spot if you abuse the gearbox. If they are used properly (and I don’t mean you have to baby the car either) they will hold up fine.

Go drive some cars. Once you narrow it down to the one you like best, go looking for a dealer. Ask people who bought cars from the dealer what they think of the service dept, and the dealer in general. That will leave you with the car you really want, and a decent dealership. Hopefully you won’t have to see the inside of their service department too often anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts