Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you're talking about purchasing a new car, I'd have to say that I plan on getting a new car once I've finished paying off my WRX in about 4 years or so. I've decided that my next car will be a two door. I've been looking at those Infiniti G35 and I really really like those. If when that time rolls around there is nothing else out there that I like, I might get that but who knows what other cars will be out by then.

·
Registered
74 Posts
about every 2 yrs for me although i want to keep this one for a long time....i have as early as 8 months....anyway something has always come up....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I wish I could afford a new car every 2 years. This ones gotta last me atleast another 4.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Got my license at 18, now 24 and now on my fifth.
'86 Olds Regency: 3 months
'98 Monte Carlo: 3 years
'91 Jeep and '95 Corvette (had at the same time): 1 year
'02 WRX: 10 months today and plan to keep for a very long time!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Other then cars my parents let me use their cars this is my first. But I don't want to be like my dad who runs cars into the ground. I'll probably get a new one when my lease is up on the WRX. I'm thinking STI but well have to see where I am in my life and what my job is.

My GF has a 97 (i think) celica with over 115,000 miles on it because she is in sales. So if i had a job like hers I would probably buy the WRX pay it off then maybe get a second car as a weekend car.

I'm hoping to at least have 1 car that is less then 3 years old at all times.

My parents keep cars forever but have run into problems where they needed 2 new cars because one is breaking all the time and the other is running high on miles and isn't as safe. This has caused problems with then having to have 2 cars from the same year or close to the same year.

Thats the other reason to buy new cars for me saftey. Its one of the reasons I have a WRX. I used to drive my parents Jeep till they found out that it is a death trap if your in an accident. They gave me some money and said buy something with side air bags.:D :D

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
My friend around the corner, Bill, has to be the dumbest person when it comes to cars. He won a brand new 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 from CBS 101.1, a radio station, when he was 16. He drove that until he traded that in, for no apparent reason, for a used 1998 grand am 4 cylinder. Then traded that it, and get this, for a new 2001 Honda Insight and he had to pay money for it. Then finally he traded the insight in for a new 2002 Mustang V6 Convertible. Hes had that for about a year. Needless to say hes a moron. I tried to warn him about the Mustang but he didnt listen and now he doesnt like it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
nyxjf said:
how often do you change your car? or plan to change your car???
Not quite as often as I change my underpants - but then again - I guess I don't really need a new car every two or three years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how often do you change your car? or plan to change your car???
you say it like its was as simple as going to the grocier store. I'm 6'4 and still growin its hard to find a nice car i can fit in so when it comes along i grab at it:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
'64 VW bug (bought in 1982. Dad bought it for me with my money when I was 13)
'78 Olds Cutlass Cruiser (inherited from folks)
'79 Camaro (I bought in 1985 when I turned 16)
'80 Oldmobile Cutlass Supreme (bought in 1987)
'89 5.0 Mustang (bought new in 1990)
'80 Chevy Citation (bought in 1991)
'86 Buick Sommerset (bought in 1993)
'90 Acura Legend (married into it, 1997)
'86 Ford Tempo (inherited from Grandma, 1998)
'78 GMC 4x4 pickup (bought in 1998)
'98 Ford F150 stepside w/ offroad package (bought new)
'99 Ford Explorer (bought used from dealer, 1999)
'02 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon (bought new from dealer)

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Every 10 years or so.

My CRX was nearly 14 years old when I bought my WRX. Although I did have several sub-$4000 "toy" vehicles along the way (bikes and 4x4s). People were always telling me "dude - you need a new car, you're wasting way too much money keeping that car going. A new car would be cheaper". Lessee...excluding oil and tires I probably averaged $500/year in maintenance and repairs....and I drove the car for nearly 10 years after paying it off. The last few years I dropped collision coverage so insurance was about $300 per year and registration about $35 per year....and the car lost $7000 in value over the 14 years.

If I'd financed my WRX conventionally I'd be paying over $400/month and in 2 years the thing has already lost probably $6000 in value. I'm over 30 now so insurance is cheap but still over $1000 per year for full-comp and registration is like $250 per year and I still pay probably $500 in maintenance and repairs per year.

Oh yeah, a new car is WAAAYYYY cheaper.:rolleyes:

My buddy is driving my CRX now and making payments to me. It's still going strong and sips gas. His payment is $100 per month, isurance $300 per year and registration $35 per year.

I only bought a new car because my wife insisted I get a better family car (4 seats and A/C). If I hadn't been drooling over WRX articles in English magazines for 10 years I probably would've bought a used car. I think the economics are way better on a used Japanese car even if I couldn't work on it myself.

If I wanted to replace my car every two years I'd buy a Ford. Trading a Honda, Toyota or Subaru after 2 years is throwing money down the drain IMO.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
1994 Integra GSR
1998 Cobra
1999 Cherokee
2001 IS 300
2001 VW GTI 1.8T
2001 S2000
2002 Corvette
2002 Xterra (still have)
2003 WRX (still have)

I have bit of a car problem......:eek:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Within 8 years I have had 3 cars and I am now working on my fourth.

1988 Volvo 740GLE: strong as an ox and slow as a snail. It had a whopping 114hp and weighed a hefty 3800lbs. :eek: I drove that car for 5 years. It had 186k miles on it when I finally got rid of it.

1970 Ford Torino: I still have this car (in fact its for sale) and bought it back in '99 as a project car. I learned alot by working on this two-ton beast. It is now fully restored and is fun to drive. :D

1999 Honda Accord V6: I swore I would never buy 4 cylinder car after driving that slow arse Volvo. Now I am going against that thought and getting a Rex. :p At least this 4 banger has some power. Hooray for turbo!

So - anyone wanna buy a car? :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
well, the wrx is the 2nd car my parents bought me (im 17) they say this is the last car they'll ever buy me....but after i get into college im going to start saving up for a skyline so after i have enough i'll sell my rex :( *sniff sniff*;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Alpha_32 said:
well, the wrx is the 2nd car my parents bought me (im 17) they say this is the last car they'll ever buy me....but after i get into college im going to start saving up for a skyline so after i have enough i'll sell my rex :( *sniff sniff*;)
Sorry I had to: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
im 18 and im workin on gettin my 4th car...

90' hyundai Excel.....1 year (Blown Headgasket)
89' nissan 240sx....1 year (Radiator Problems)
97' Honda Prelude SH.... 1 month (Crashed into wall at 70mph on freeway) :(

Ive kinda got bad luck with cars... or maybe im just a little too rough on them...

Within the week... 2002 WRX (Rally Blue)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts