ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much Psi should i be using for my tires?? 18/225/40 zr Falken's ?? thanks to all replies in advance

·
Registered
208 Posts
check the tire itself. all the info you will need is on there. i usually run 4 psi under max pressure. my tires have a max of 44psi. right now i am running 40psi up front and 39psi in the rear, but i usually play around with the numbers just a little.

however, my friend's tires have a 55psi max:eek:. the funny part is that he was driving with them inflated at 38psi until i smacked him. he actually ruined one tire and has a slow leak in another one. he has downsyndrome

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Pressure varies on the particular tire. A good starting point for a hi po tire is 35ish front, 32 ish rear- that's cold pressure.

I always (well sometimes not when autoxing) maintain a ~ 3lbs + in the front vs the rear. This dials out a little understeer and the diff likes it- reason why SOA has a front/rear difference.

Big Sky

·
Registered
677 Posts
Stupid dealership didnt ever inflate the tires so they were down to 22 psi on all four tires but I pumped them up two days ago and it made a great difference. 35/32 PSI. Car feels so much tighter except it accentuates the wagon's weak rear sway bar.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Pressure varies on the particular tire. A good starting point for a hi po tire is 35ish front, 32 ish rear- that's cold pressure.

I always (well sometimes not when autoxing) maintain a ~ 3lbs + in the front vs the rear. This dials out a little understeer and the diff likes it- reason why SOA has a front/rear difference.

Big Sky
I'm gonna do FRONT--38psi and REAR--35psi...that should be ok right? and also minimize rim denting??

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
SWRX said:
I'm gonna do FRONT--38psi and REAR--35psi...that should be ok right? and also minimize rim denting??
Should be fine- check for tire wear after a bit. Also remember most of the #'s discussed are cold #'s, tires will heat up and psi will be going up.

Big Sky

·
Registered
991 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Should be fine- check for tire wear after a bit. Also remember most of the #'s discussed are cold #'s, tires will heat up and psi will be going up.

Big Sky
Thanks! :)

I waited for the tire to cool down and drove it to a flatter surface (sun almost down and only drove for about 1 mile) and the tire temperature rose 2-3 degrees from before driving off :rolleyes: ...crazy...just a mile driving in cool weather and it increased by 2-3 degrees!!!...

Since i'm running 18x8.0 rims, should I be even more careful about lip damage than the 18x7.5?? Since the rims kind of "stretched out" the tires alittle, making it even "lower profile" than if I was running on 18x7.5??? thanks again! :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
afpdl said:
It depends on your alignment, and what you want to do with the tires.
My car is only used as a daily driver...so my concerns are ride comfort and rim damage...I guess these two might be the recerprical of each other..."can't have the cake and eat it too"
right???:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts